Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

OT-Scottish independence vote-

Oh well..Grandfather a Scot from Glasgow...family around Inverness...I think the best for Scotland, from the head...not the best from the heart..

One of my favorite Scots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeanConneryOnBeingAScot.jpg (19.5 KB, 265 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 07:35 AM

Looks like another 300 years of living under the English boot.

After 1865 Americans don't have the option of not being serfs under a government run for the benefit of the financial elite. Scotland had their chance. They blew it. I see more taxpayer funded bailouts in the future.

Groundskeeper Willie gonna be pissed.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post

After 1865 Americans don't have the option of not being serfs under a government run for the benefit of the financial elite. Scotland had their chance. They blew it. I see more taxpayer funded bailouts in the future.

Maybe altho the 'boot' is pretty small these days. I think the Scots are a smart bunch..they continue to be 'sovereign', have lots of self rule, their own banks, bank notes, parliament, flag...and can still complain about the 'fookin' English...

When I was in Scotland, I saw not one Union Jack, anywhere..when in Scotland, there is no doubt you are in Scotland, not in the 'United Kingdom'..
Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Head to Ned

"Vote" is being very generous.

Much talk of voters fraud going on, no surprise there.

Business as usual in the Empire
Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 AM

Isn't this what that movie Braveheart was all about? I remember the one classic scene where Mel Gibson is rallying the troops talking about independence. Probably one of the greatest movie scenes of all time.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Maybe altho the 'boot' is pretty small these days. I think the Scots are a smart bunch..they continue to be 'sovereign', have lots of self rule, their own banks, bank notes, parliament, flag...and can still complain about the 'fookin' English...

When I was in Scotland, I saw not one Union Jack, anywhere..when in Scotland, there is no doubt you are in Scotland, not in the 'United Kingdom'..
The smart thing for Scots to do is use the fear of losing the last vestiges of empire to mooch off the English while using semi-autonomous rule to run the region as Scots want it run.

I did get a laugh from some of the arguments for maintaining the union. The burden of defense spending? Like the Norwegian are going to start building long ships to sail west to invade Scotland?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post
Isn't this what that movie Braveheart was all about? I remember the one classic scene where Mel Gibson is rallying the troops talking about independence. Probably one of the greatest movie scenes of all time.
And after kicking the English Arse..the clans continue to argue among themselves..'almost' made it stick with Robert the Bruce but when he died..
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Administrator

William Wallace is rolling over in his grave...

I am William Wallace.

Young Voter: William Wallace is seven feet tall!

Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd vote for cession from the English, then shoot fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

[Scottish voters laugh]

I *am* William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny. You've come to vote as free men... and free men you are. What will you do for that freedom? Will you vote?

Veteran: Vote? Against that? No! We will run. And we will live.

Aye, vote and you may lose. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and vote to tell our enemies that they may try to run our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

[Scottish voters cheers]

Alba gu brąth!
["Scotland forever!"]

.....or not.

William
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
"Vote" is being very generous.

Much talk of voters fraud going on, no surprise there.

Business as usual in the Empire
I haven't actually heard of accusations of voter fraud. Are you able to give specific instances where this is being alleged? Links to actual events? Eyewitness accounts?

Or is this just another case of, "Well, I've heard of issues." Or are you simply making these allegations because the result wasn't the result you hoped for?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Kind of OK

Trainspotting quote Don't click if you're a tender git and easily offended by foul language
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Trainspotting quote Don't click if you're a tender git and easily offended by foul language
Can be interchanged with "the Irish"...
Old 09-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post

You just end up being serfs under a different government run for the benefit of a different financial elite.

The song change, but the music remains the same.

(see India for details.)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 AM

They will have better shopping centers under the Brits.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Both parents emigrated from Scotland and I still have relatives there. My cousin is in his forties and lives in Dundee. He is a keen nationalist and was sure the vote would be "YES". When I look at the vote results on a map I can see why he was so confident: Dundee was one of the very few areas to vote for independence. In an e-mail this morning he said he thought the young and the poor were most in favor of "YES". Older folks and the relatively well-off didn't want to risk the unknown. I think the older folks may remember how things used to be and realize there has been tremendous improvement in living conditions for the average Scot. One can only wonder how the outcome would have been if this had not been the first national election where the voting age was lowered to SIXTEEN! Heck, I'm still not sure of the wisdom of giving the vote to eighteen year-olds.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I am William Wallace.

Young Voter: William Wallace is seven feet tall!

Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd vote for cession from the English, then shoot fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

[Scottish voters laugh]

I *am* William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny. You've come to vote as free men... and free men you are. What will you do for that freedom? Will you vote?

Veteran: Vote? Against that? No! We will run. And we will live.

Aye, vote and you may lose. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and vote to tell our enemies that they may try to run our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

[Scottish voters cheers]

Alba gu brąth!
["Scotland forever!"]

.....or not.

William
Are you a descendant of WW... if so you may not know that a direct descendant of WW , William Wallace Spence in the late 1880's donated a massive statue of Christ in memory of his friend Johns Hopkins which is currently in the hospital's rotunda