Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 AM

Cleaning threads.

I like to clean the threads on things when I reassemble them. Screws and bolts are easy because the threads are on the outside. But I've not found a good and reasonably easy way to clean the female threads. Think stem faceplate screw holes. So far I've been getting away with running multiple q tips with alcohol and reassembling with a wee bit of grease. but I'd feel a lot better if I could get some bristles into the depths of the threads. I can use a toothbrush on larger openings like bbs, rd hangers, etc.

What do y'all do?
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 AM

I don't.

A closed thread hole like that gets grease as needed: lubrication, weathershield and thread cleanser all in one. If it needs more it gets removed and stripped down entirely then washed in a bath of kerosene, thoroughly dried and relubed. But that's pretty damned rare.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 AM

This is going to sound like bad advice, so just take it with a grain of salt. If it's just a cheap component, like maybe a dirty stem. I'll just take the stem out and wash it out and use a small toothbrush. And when I wash something on my bike, I use a water hose with a high pressure water nozzle.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 AM
Old and Tired

I rely on the moderators to keep my threads scrupulously clean.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marburg View Post
I rely on the moderators to keep my threads scrupulously clean.

Nice try but that won't fly (said the kiwi to the kea)...
Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post
And when I wash something on my bike, I use a water hose with a high pressure water nozzle.
Maybe this is why our abalone population has become so depleted?

See what a fun place we have here. You're first post and we're already teasing you.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 AM

Try a pipecleaner for internal threads.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Google airbrush cleaning brushes. They make all sorts of spiral brushes that will clean internal threads if you feel the need.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM

pipe cleaners (like the kids art supplies stuff)

or find yourself a good baby bottle cleaning kit (which will include a firm small brush perfect for cleaning threads out)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Maybe this is why our abalone population has become so depleted?

See what a fun place we have here. You're first post and we're already teasing you.

I know. It's supposed to be against the unwritten laws of bike physics not to wash a bike, especially the headset and bb and hub areas with a high pressure water hose because you lessen the lifespan of the components as the bearings get more dirt and grime in them. My philosophy is that I don't really care. I hate cleaning my bike, so I want to do it as fast as I can.

Interestingly, I haven't yet noticed a huge downside in my methods. And I admit I am quite liberal in squirting the water on these no-no areas of the bike. I do, however, make it a point to overhaul the bike every 1 yr or so and I completely repack all the bearings with fresh grease. When I do so, I don't see a huge difference in more dirty grease compared to my other friends bike when I have helped overhaul their bikes. And they are big proponents of don't squirt the water on those no-no areas. I think that the bearing seals are so good nowadays, even on the cheap components, that it's not that big of a deal to wash with a high pressure water nozzle like the kind in your front yard or driveway. And if you are good about doing a total overhaul every yr or so, then I think it's ok to do my technique.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Living in SoCal even my mtn. bikes rarely get muddy but when they do I wet them with a low pressure hose, scrub off the mud with medium-stiff brushes and soapy water, rinse with low-pressure hose, wipe with a terry cloth towel, and maybe blow off the hard-to-reach areas with high pressure air from my compressor.

Based on your experience it seems like the warnings against high pressure water may not be valid for modern bikes and seals.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post

or find yourself a good baby bottle cleaning kit (which will include a firm small brush perfect for cleaning threads out)
I actually have these in my kitchen. Never occurred to me. Brilliant!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 PM

Tube or pipe brushes are what you seek. Shooter supply places will have a range of brass/bronze brushes that would be a good choice for steel. Pick nylon or natural fiber for aluminum. There are also small diameter sets for cleaning welding torch tips and spray guns. As mentioned, pipe cleaners for small bores.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Tube or pipe brushes are what you seek. Shooter supply places will have a range of brass/bronze brushes that would be a good choice for steel. Pick nylon or natural fiber for aluminum. There are also small diameter sets for cleaning welding torch tips and spray guns. As mentioned, pipe cleaners for small bores.
Beat me to it. Gun cleaning tools are great for all kinds of difficult cleaning -- not only female threads but also some odd spots in levers and in hydraulic calipers.

You can find brushes for anything. Do you really need to clean those threads? Even if they are the nastiest mess after an unholy cross weekend, it's not that hard to get it clean again. And the small wire brushes work better than just about anything else.

I do have to admit that my first thought was that we had a new moderator in our midst.