Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Classics Fan

Alternative Format Cycling Races

I'm a huge fan of the classics, and even enjoy the spectacle of the the grand tours.

In light of the recent Jens Voigt hour record attempt, and the press coverage that it got, I think it is worth a discussion to wonder if alternative format racing has a shot.

I've voiced my opinion before in the context of dopers serving their suspensions putting on exhibition match races up iconic alpine climbs. If this were done with active pros, I think it could draw some eye balls. Similar to an exhibition 1 on 1 game of Lebron vs. Someone else.

Another format could be a single elimination bracket style tournament, match races up the Kapelmuur, other berg, Poggio, sector of cobbles, etc. Winner moves on to the next round, loser goes home.

Am I off my rocker?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Track has a bunch of different games they can play. Stuff like unknown distance, miss and out, etc.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 PM
なんでやねん

Might or might not be what you had in mind, but I found out about the Three Peaks cyclocross race the other day and it's a really interesting alternative format race (of sorts) - 'cross, but one big loop. Supposedly "the hardest cyclocross race in the world", well maybe, but certain that the scenery is amazing.

http://www.cyclocrossrider.com/racin...yclocross-race
Old 09-19-2014, 12:33 AM

It's simple. No radios and no TV's for the DS and ban silly commentary, ie Phil and Paul acknowledging ass hat moves by JV and T Voekler chasing publicity. Obviously, make the gc riders manage the race from the front like real bike racing. Ecco the radio debate begins again --hopefully?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 AM
Descent fitness

1/4 mile match sprint on a drag strip

Orange Krate
vs
Lemon Peeler

Winner takes on Apple Krate

Riders: Euro Pro team sprinters wearing cut offs and Converse all-stars.

Jens doing voice-over.

I'd watch that.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 AM

something like this?

http://gpcqm.ca/en/challenge-sprint-pro_en-2013/
Old 09-19-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I'm a huge fan of the classics, and even enjoy the spectacle of the the grand tours.

In light of the recent Jens Voigt hour record attempt, and the press coverage that it got, I think it is worth a discussion to wonder if alternative format racing has a shot.

I've voiced my opinion before in the context of dopers serving their suspensions putting on exhibition match races up iconic alpine climbs.
The Cobra is trying to break records on iconic climbs. He had a pretty good time for Ventoux but crashed while descending. Maybe he could enlist a few others and make it a contest.

The Tour de France sucks all the oxygen out of the room so it is difficult for anything else to get coverage.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:38 AM

I would prefer to watch clean racing. Period.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
I would prefer to watch clean racing. Period.
How would you know, if it's clean or not?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
If the UCI and everbody parroting its official line says we have entered a new, clean era then it is clean.

"Hey, Rocky. Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat."

"Aww, Bullwinkle, that trick never works."

"This time for sure."
Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 AM

In the spring, our local Tuesday Night Worlds are run as points races. Every 3 laps, there is a sprint for 5, 3, 2, 1 points - winner is the one with the most points.

I don't particularly care for it on the road because it makes for conservative racing, but I'm okay with shaking things up. There is also a circuit race that's part of a weekend omnium, and each lap there is a sprint for omnium points. I like that since I never go for the omnium, and let other people burn matches on uphill sprints throughout the race... Which I won this year.

The sprint tourney in the canadian race is neat - obviously we are no strangers to unique and exciting formats of racing on the track. Match sprint tournents are great, keirin are great, and even the enduro novelty races are cool - elimination, jokers gambit... During six-days there are some other neat events - the Madison kilo is one of my favorites.

There is a lot that road racing can borrow from track, especially trying to make road races very exciting, audience-friendly spectacles and festivals.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Jens Voigt
Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 AM

When there's more money to be made in the bizarre exhibition stuff is when it will happen. Not a moment before. But I'd also take that as a sign the sport is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

There's a reason you don't see LeBron play anyone one-on-one.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
Jens Voigt
Well if you believe that's fine by me. But I tend to think differently, b/c somebody that was raised where Jens was, (East Germany) and raced with who he did for the last 20 years to NEVER have done dope is a bit out there. Sorry for my non believing. For At least in my eyes, Pro cycling is a dirty sport! I have zero trouble with that. Pro cycling, like all pro sports, is entertainment. I like watching it, so I do.

But to try and think Jens is clean or has been clean thru out his career is IMO just plain silly!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 AM

I like your idea, Matt, but those type of events remind me of the sports specatculars from the 70's; from Bobby Riggs vx. Billie Jean King to Evel Knieval Snake River Canyon jump. Some had good publicity and viewership, but most were probably commercial flops and not repeated.

Just because breakaways seldom succeed doesn't make them ass-hat moves. Jens was caught 500 meters from the finish the US Pro tour this year, and a great win into Santa Barbara last year. Voelkler had several wins at the TdF, one of which put him in yellow for 10 days. I wouldn't call those ass hat moves, even if those riders like to ham it up for the cameras. No more than Taylor Phinney's breakaway into Santa Barbara this year.

Whether or not Jens has always been clean, a witness to doping, or acts like a doofus, his record yesterday was hard earned.