Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
the commute? i'd rather not move to NJ and quadruple my commute time. and yes, there is something to be said about being able to stumble into a taxi at 3 am and get home within 10 mins.
Ok I get that and I know some jobs that can't be done outside of the city, but why not just completely relocate instead of trying to make the city something its not. Its just not a safe place to do outdoor activities or raise kids etc... I mean I can ride out my front door and ride for hours and see only a few cars, I can go less than a mile and put my kayaks into a major river, and if I really want I'm less than an hour from two major metropolitan areas and less than 3 from NYC.

In all honesty I might just be missing something or I might just be a country bumpkin.

I guess a lot of my impressions of city life is from people that idolize city living not necessarily people that actually live there. The shear number of morons around here that think they need to go to the big city to be happy never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by Mr Cabletwitch; 09-19-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Glory bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch View Post
The shear number of morons around here that think they need to go to the big city to be happy never ceases to amaze me.
1. They're morons, so they'd likely be miserable after coming to the city as well.
2. Maybe this accounts for some of the moronic behavior so much in evidence in the city (but there's no shortage of home-grown morons, either. And some of those morons are certain that relocating to Podunk would solve their problems, too.)
Not to imply you live in Podunk, Mr. C
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Ok I get that and I know some jobs that can't be done outside of the city, but why not just completely relocate instead of trying to make the city something its not. Its just not a safe place to do outdoor activities or raise kids etc... I mean I can ride out my front door and ride for hours and see only a few cars, I can go less than a mile and put my kayaks into a major river, and if I really want I'm less than an hour from two major metropolitan areas and less than 3 from NYC.

In all honesty I might just be missing something or I might just be a country bumpkin.

I guess a lot of my impressions of city life is from people that idolize city living not necessarily people that actually live there. The shear number of morons around here that think they need to go to the big city to be happy never ceases to amaze me.
In fairness, I live in NYC and frequently can go for a 30+ mile mid week ride round trip from my door without unclipping. Similarly, on the weekend, the only time I really fear injury is the eastbound return on the GWB on a nice spring, fall, or summer day. Yes, there is a lack of variation, but for the time crunched cyclist that can be the case in many locations. But to have such a wonderful resource like CP (I ride early AM pre-cars and tourists and do not need to worry about lights and such during the winter months) and river road (7 mile rolling low trafficked stretch of road with 1 mile training climb at one end) within an easy 6 mile ride from my door, so close and so accessible, is a blessing considering the urban environment we live in.

There is also something to be said about not being car dependent.

All that said, yes I would love to live in Aspen or someplace like that where the outdoor resources are so abundant. Moreover, my appetite for NYC real estate prices is limited and when/if we need to sell our apartment and move to a larger one, my hands may be tied as larger apartments aren't cheap these days, so I will look elsewhere.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
1. They're morons, so they'd likely be miserable after coming to the city as well.
2. Maybe this accounts for some of the moronic behavior so much in evidence in the city (but there's no shortage of home-grown morons, either. And some of those morons are certain that relocating to Podunk would solve their problems, too.)
home-grown moron checking in!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
My guess is that a lot of the problem people in the city are people that relocated there and think they can have what they had in podunk in the city. My guess is those that are born and raised understand the limitations.

I guess it all comes down to a grass is greener thing, but I personally love living in podunk. Look up Mount Gretna its right by where I live and I love it there. Hope to retire there someday.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Byron

Here is the NYT article from the day following the incident.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/nyregion/woman-58-in-critical-condition-after-being-struck-by-central-park-cyclist.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Ar%2 C{%222%22%3A%22RI%3A12%22}&_r=0
Old 09-19-2014, 03:49 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:

I know plenty of people raising kids in NYC and its plenty safe. Not all NYC is midtown manhattan traffic. Also ridding here is fine when you know what you are doing and get used to it. If you live by central park you can get outside the city through the GW bridge in like 45 minutes.

There is plenty to do here and it is very true that its nice to not have to have a car here (even though I do have one)
Old 09-19-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/nyregion/woman-58-in-critical-condition-after-being-struck-by-central-park-cyclist.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Ar%2 C{%222%22%3A%22RI%3A12%22}&_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/ny...k-cyclist.html
Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post

Everyone has been threatened by these groups? Wah?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:58 PM
It An't Me Babe

In the spirit of comity and free exchange even with contrary views, a brief dispatch to these items:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
Not if the person is charged with a crime and results in a juried trial.

Also it does nothing to further the general perception of cyclists by non cyclists, but this kind of ···· journalism will not be going away, ever.
No. Newspaper articles usually fall under rules for inadmissible hearsay in the legal system. But hey, if counsel can get it past the judge, more power to them.

As far as negative perceptions, cyclists don't need a hostile press. We do a pretty good job screwing up our own public image all by ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
What? Someone who knows the guy who was involved in the accident posts his thoughts on the guy, but he is not also entitled to express his sorrow regarding the whole accident?
No. No infringement to First Amendment rights appears anywhere in my post. What were you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
The condemnation people are offering in this thread, based on obviously poor reporting, is surprising.

Stupidly surprising- I shouldn't expect any more from the general population of The Paceline than I do of other boards full of judgy people, being an internet forum, but I guess I do.

The guy could have been going 11mph at the moment of collision. The human head can take up to about a 10mph impact without likelihood of brain damage, depending. But the assumption is he was going "too fast," and airchair bench-trialing full blown hateful conviction.

The guy stopped and claimed the crash was his fault. What happened before is not known, but this IS known. So the only FACT we have is that he's someone who owns his mistakes, even life-changing ones, where many many others often don't. Everything else is completely unknown.

I sure hope you're never involved in a situation that makes the news.
Nothing in response to the facts and issues contained in my post. Passive aggressive ad hominem. Response entirely centric to your self-perceived high standards and your disappointment with the types of, and inferring my, forum responses. Mindless conjecture. No need to dance around with terms like "stupidly surprising", just have the gumption to call it "stupid" and back up your position. Or can you not do this without tangential flailing?

I know. It's all fun 'n' games.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Nothing in response to the facts and issues contained in my post. Passive aggressive ad hominem. Response entirely centric to your self-perceived high standards and your disappointment with the types of, and inferring my, forum responses. Mindless conjecture. No need to dance around with terms like "stupidly surprising", just have the gumption to call it "stupid" and back up your position. Or can you not do this without tangential flailing?
Ah, nope.. you're jumping to more incorrect conclusions. You should try re-reading my post after you've calmed down some- you're obviously not very reasonable when you're emotional.

But since you've already pulled out the classic, defensive, inept criticism of my argument style, I'm gonna take a gamble on you not being worth another keystroke. Don't expect much more from me.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 PM

What makes the PaceLine so much different?

Looks like we may have taken a a bit of a turn for the worse today....
Old 09-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

By law it's considered a vehicle and has a right to use the road no? Is there some provision that mandates bikes HAVE to use the bike lane only?

William
No, not ONLY. Typically the laws are written such that if there is a bike lane present, it MUST be used by cyclists unless there is some mitigating factor such as a car parked in the bike lane, then you can go outside of the bike lane until you can safely resume riding in the bike lane.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

you have to ride NYC with 100% expectation for things to not go according to what they "should" do. expect the opposite. people jaywalking from out of the blue or right in front of you (while texting no less), cars and other bikes running red lights, everyone not looking at all (other cyclists as well as pedestrians, cars), etc.

FIFY

Terrible tragedy, terrible reporting, terrible comments.

My heart goes out to the husband and daughter.

Last edited by paredown; 09-19-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Randomhead

I think a lot of naive cyclists and pedestrians don't realize that a bike-ped collision can result in death just as surely as a car-pedestrian collision. This was a tragedy, and I'm sure the cyclist will be punished, along with the rest of us.

People that really care about the quality of life in NYC realize that there are nearly 1000 extremely serious injuries or death of pedestrians involving a motor vehicle per year, and for some reason there is no crackdown on bad behavior by motorists. But have a cyclist do it and all of a sudden it's a big deal. It's a big deal every time, not just if a cyclist is involved.

This time of year in Happy Valley with the recent return of students, the NYC residents haven't settled down yet, and they are a real menace. Not saying that the New Jerseyites aren't at least a little dangerous, but the New Yorkers are really nuts.