Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
Or dead. But you are correct, none of the persons posting here was at the scene and are taking what the Post says as gospel.
I can only speak for myself, but I used to word "if" only to comment "If true...". "If" he was, he's a frackin' idiot. But then I also indicated the publication was trolling.

It's all just speculation until an official finding comes out. Until then, we're just talking.

William
Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
It's all just speculation until an official finding comes out. Until then, we're just talking.

William
And when that official finding comes out, I'm sure we'll be debating whether it was fair or biased against the cycling community....
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Shame on the NY Post for poor editing: "A cyclist peddling a $4000 bike..." - in the first sentence.
I can't believe that a new Jamis Eclipse is a $4,000 bike -- and maybe he bought it used? But even if he did spend $4,000 on it, the Post is trying to use the cost of the bike against him, to imply that he's rich, entitled, and arrogant. Ironic when you see all the Post real estate articles about the latest condo building with $10 million apartments.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
And when that official finding comes out, I'm sure we'll be debating whether it was fair or biased against the cycling community....
Possibly.

William
Old 09-19-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Only if the Post is cited for the link...
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know Mr. Marshall, and won't presume to know whether he is entitled, selfless or somewhere in between. But I think folks have a right to get upset if the witness reports (albeit told through a questionable publication) paint a picture of careless, even reckless, behavior. I have the same reaction when I hear of guys bombing down SF hills on fixies - however great they are as people, they will sink in our collective estimation when their risk taking kills someone.

I've had people step out in front of me while riding, but if I'm in an area where that's possible then I ride with my hands near the brakes. And I've had cyclists ride like jerks around my car, and I've yelled at them to get their poop straight (just as I would if I were on a bike). It's not being judgmental or self-righteous to call someone out for making poor choices when those choices result in injury to others.
Your reaction is exactly what the Post's business strategy wants. You cannot trust this newspaper's picture of "careless, even reckless behavior," because they are not journalists. They are practicionars of Outrage Bait. No matter what happened - what the traffic light showed, how fast Mr. Marshall was going - "the Post would write this story the same exact way," said a source.

They deal in manipulative outrage bait, not facts. And I just think that a situation in which somebody inadvertentdly injures somebody to the point of brain damage is terrible enough for all parties involved that we should recuse ourselves from the Post's dehumanization of both them and us.

They mention the cost of his bicycle (inflating it, I might add). This dog whistle speaks volumes.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I can't believe that a new Jamis Eclipse is a $4,000 bike -- and maybe he bought it used? But even if he did spend $4,000 on it, the Post is trying to use the cost of the bike against him, to imply that he's rich, entitled, and arrogant. Ironic when you see all the Post real estate articles about the latest condo building with $10 million apartments.
Even this shorter and less biased report mentions he was riding an expensive bike:

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/F...al-5765942.php

And the point of the cost of the bike is relevant how?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:04 AM

No matter what ... it certainly does not help our cause trying to educate the public on the rights of cyclists. Sad indeed!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 AM

just horrible tragedy for the woman and her family.

no excuse whatsoever for the cyclist, no matter the right of way or circumstances.

you have to ride central park with 100% expectation for things to not go according to what they "should" do. expect the opposite. people jaywalking from out of the blue or right in front of you (while texting no less), cars and other bikes running red lights, everyone not looking at all (other cyclists as well as pedestrians, cars), etc.

that's why you ride at 4:30-5 am or 9 pm if you want to ride in any manner of "training."

any other time expect to come to full stop, and enjoy the view.

i have a very good family friend that was plowed into by exactly such a time trialing asshole. Forever changed his life medically (broken hips, bones, and other lingering medical side effects). And a hit & run no less--the cyclist took off.

if the circustmances are as reported (big if, since the post isn't the paragon of accuracy) hopefully this guy who caused irreparable harm to the woman from Fairfield goes to jail. he deserves it.

Last edited by 54ny77; 09-19-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM

This was posted on the New York Cycle Club message board:

"I know Jason Marshall. I have ridden with him many times; he is a member of our club. He is one of the nicest, most polite, considerate people on the road. He is not a criminal. This is an unfathomable tragedy on every count. My heartfelt condolences to the Tarlov family. I am so saddened, so sorry. And I am heartbroken for Jason as well, for this tragic outcome."

Last edited by fiamme red; 09-19-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 AM
That guy..

People make mistakes. Just because a member of the club says he follows the rules... Probably because the club enforces these rules.. Doesn't mean he's not a dangerous cyclists. Guess whoever said it was right. We won't know.. Probably won't ever know.. What he was thinking, or what exactly happened.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
This was posted on the New York Cycle Club message board:

"I know Jason Marshall. I have ridden with him many times; he is a member of our club. He is one of the nicest, most polite, considerate people on the road. He is not a criminal. This is an unfathomable tragedy on every count. My heartfelt condolences to the Tarlov family. I am so saddened, so sorry. And I am heartbroken for Jason as well, for this tragic outcome."
I don't mean to sound strident or harsh, but this is all well and good after the fact and also completely meaningless. Sorry and regret is evoked here not as an act of contrition but as a plea for leniency.

The cyclist that ran down a pedestrian was not a newcomer to either Central Park or NYC. I'd bet the cyclist has logged more ride-time in the Park than the pedestrian has logged walk-time in the Park. It does not take a genius to know the counter-clockwise sweep of the Park from Tavern on the Green to the E72nd St/Fifth Ave. entrance is the most crowded and random variable threats segment of the Park. The the rider was going fast enough to cause fatal injury by being stupid I have no sympathy for and if he was negligently indifferent he deserves even less.

What and how the Post sensationally reported this incident is immaterial, there is no denying someone was hit and who the parties were involved.

Character has been described as what a person does when no one is looking. This mofo chose center stage in Central Park and still didn't GAS.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

What and how the Post sensationally reported this incident is immaterial...
Not if the person is charged with a crime and results in a juried trial.

Also it does nothing to further the general perception of cyclists by non cyclists, but this kind of ···· journalism will not be going away, ever.

Last edited by Saint Vitus; 09-19-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM
The B!

I didn't realize $4,000 was excessively expensive for a bike

What's up with Jamis? The only place I ever see them is Craigslist... I guess I figured they were department store bikes. No?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I don't mean to sound strident or harsh, but this is all well and good after the fact and also completely meaningless. Sorry and regret is evoked here not as an act of contrition but as a plea for leniency.

The cyclist that ran down a pedestrian was not a newcomer to either Central Park or NYC. I'd bet the cyclist has logged more ride-time in the Park than the pedestrian has logged walk-time in the Park. It does not take a genius to know the counter-clockwise sweep of the Park from Tavern on the Green to the E72nd St/Fifth Ave. entrance is the most crowded and random variable threats segment of the Park. The the rider was going fast enough to cause fatal injury by being stupid I have no sympathy for and if he was negligently indifferent he deserves even less.

What and how the Post sensationally reported this incident is immaterial, there is no denying someone was hit and who the parties were involved.

Character has been described as what a person does when no one is looking. This mofo chose center stage in Central Park and still didn't GAS.
What? Someone who knows the guy who was involved in the accident posts his thoughts on the guy, but he is not also entitled to express his sorrow regarding the whole accident?