Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Administrator

what a dope.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:18 AM

Not the best advertisement for Rapha.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:23 AM
It An't Me Babe

Yeah this guy is vermin and bad news waitin' to happen. To even consider doing hot laps during the afternoon is a serious disconnect to the realities of what the Park can offer versus what this scum insists on having for himself.

Riding in the car lane in the Park is a trivial transgression. Full gas on the downhill leading into one of the most congested areas of the Park is incomprehensible.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:44 AM

Shame on the NY Post for poor editing: "A cyclist peddling a $4000 bike..." - in the first sentence.

He was trying to sell the bike? Insert forehead slap here. Try "pedaling". Grammar police would have these journalists (there appear to have been 4 folks contributing on the article) in the stony lonesome for a gaffe like that.

I live in a small town west of Indianapolis and we have an extensive, paved pedestrian trail system. Sometimes we get some over-eager noobs that try and hammer it in their aero-bars. It's very dangerous, as the trails have families with small children, parents pushing strollers, kids on skateboards, and dog walkers with those long, retractable leashes. It's dangerous to both the cyclist and the pedestrians.

A couple of weeks back I was almost drilled while coming back from a training ride. I use the trail as a conduit to avoid areas of heavier traffic, and ride like I am on a shared, public thoroughfare when I do. I was making a right turn off of the trail to head into my neighborhood when some knucklehead on a TT bike buzzed by in the small space to my right, just as I was turning. I managed to miss the collision, but it was close. I had passed him going to opposite way a few moments before - it appeared that he was doing short, fast intervals or something.

He was probably doing 25mph, and not wearing a helmet (but was wearing a sleeveless "wife beater", cotton t-shirt). The teammate that was riding with me before I turned off caught the dude and talked to him about it.

I am extremely cautious on our local trails. On nice weather days, they can be more dangerous than the roads. Although all trail users need to exercise caution and courtesy, in my opinion, it is incumbent on the cyclists to be extra safe, due to the speed and momentum we carry. This is not quite the same scenario as the story in question, but it reminds me of the risks of riding in areas shared by heavy pedestrian traffic. Riding with hands away from the brake levers through an intersection is also incredibly foolish.

Last edited by berserk87; 09-19-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Administrator

What does the price of the bike have to do with anything? Mentioned at least twice = Trolling.

Quote:
“These guys think that they have entitlement and they don’t ride in the bike lanes,” one source said.
By law it's considered a vehicle and has a right to use the road no? Is there some provision that mandates bikes HAVE to use the bike lane only?

Don't get me wrong, if this guy was barreling through a congested area tucked out on the aero bars where he can't get to the brakes easily then he's a frackn' idiot and a woman is brain dead for it.

Sad story all around...and bad journalism to boot.

William
Old 09-19-2014, 07:12 AM
That guy..

Aero bars. Brakeless?. Did I read that right?

... brakeless, triathlon-style “aerobars” attached to the handlebars of his high-performance, yellow and black ride....

What. A. Tool.
Rapha swag doesn't score him any cool point neither.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
what a dope.

I thought there was a UCI rule against using a helmet while wearing Rapha.

It might be wise for Congress to consider a federal law banning triathletes from riding on MUTs. There is something about signing up for an Ironman that turns people into d-bags who ride on aero bars without regard to the safety of themselves and those around them.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
Riding aero bars in a high traffic area is about as smart as riding them in a bunch. Just don't do it.
that was my first thought.....who the heck rides in the aero position through a buys city???? that's gotta be the most negligent decision ever!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
I thought there was a UCI rule against using a helmet while wearing Rapha.

It might be wise for Congress to consider a federal law banning triathletes from riding on MUTs. There is something about signing up for an Ironman that turns people into d-bags who ride on aero bars without regard to the safety of themselves and those around them.
doh-agree about tri-sexuals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1bd5c68018a6bd041a16276491fdeae.jpg (34.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
doh-agree about tri-sexuals
Evidently wearing a cycling cap under a helmet makes it compatible with Rapha.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 AM

Shame on you all.

None of you were there, and you're taking the word of a cheap, outrage-stoking rag with a notoriously anti-cyclist bent as gospel.

Nobody here knows what happened. Nobody here knows if Jason Marshall is an entitled asshole, how fast he was going, or how much fault he is at.

How many of us had people step out in front of us while riding? Or had a cyclist ride unpredictably while we are driving? How many holier-than-thou threads do we already have?

Its too easy to sit behind a keyboard and feel a smug sense of superiority. Resist the urge. Someone is seriously injured.

Last edited by nooneline; 09-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
I never ever saw a roadie ride blazingly fast on a mut….never.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Riding in the car lane in the Park is a trivial transgression.
No transgression at all, actually. I usually ride in the car lane in the park when there are no cars, to avoid being jarred by going over the raised stencils that the idiots at the DOT painted in the bike lane. These stencils appear every few hundred feet and show that slow cyclists can ride double file next to the pedestrian lane, while fast cyclists can only ride single file between the slow cyclists' lane and the car lane, in a space that's maybe four feet wide.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Shame on you all.

None of you were there, and you're taking the word of a cheap, outrage-stoking rag with a notoriously anti-cyclist bent as gospel.

Nobody here knows what happened. Nobody here knows if Jason Marshall is an entitled asshole, how fast he was going, or how much fault he is at.

How many of us had people step out in front of us while riding? Or had a cyclist ride unpredictably while we are driving? How many holier-than-thou threads do we already have?

Its too easy to sit behind a keyboard and feel a smug sense of superiority. Resist the urge. Someone is seriously injured.
I don't know Mr. Marshall, and won't presume to know whether he is entitled, selfless or somewhere in between. But I think folks have a right to get upset if the witness reports (albeit told through a questionable publication) paint a picture of careless, even reckless, behavior. I have the same reaction when I hear of guys bombing down SF hills on fixies - however great they are as people, they will sink in our collective estimation when their risk taking kills someone.

I've had people step out in front of me while riding, but if I'm in an area where that's possible then I ride with my hands near the brakes. And I've had cyclists ride like jerks around my car, and I've yelled at them to get their poop straight (just as I would if I were on a bike). It's not being judgmental or self-righteous to call someone out for making poor choices when those choices result in injury to others.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Shame on you all.

Or dead. But you are correct, none of the persons posting here was at the scene and are taking what the Post says as gospel.