Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Total Fred

I spend most of my time these days on a Gunnar Crosshairs with 32mm Pasela TG's around 40f/50r PSI. If you're considering steel, seriously look at a Gunnar with Waterford fork. The fork is absolutely magic on rough roads.

Tai
Old 09-18-2014, 01:05 PM

FWIIW, I have three road bikes. Their maximum size tire clearances are: 23, 25, and 35. I wish each of them would fit one size larger tire. But when I acquired each one, they had all the clearance that I wanted.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Total Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
FWIIW, I have three road bikes. Their maximum size tire clearances are: 23, 25, and 35. I wish each of them would fit one size larger tire. But when I acquired each one, they had all the clearance that I wanted.
Agree wholeheartedly...bumped up to 25's long before they became the norm. Like 28's even better. Now on 32's.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post
I spend most of my time these days on a Gunnar Crosshairs with 32mm Pasela TG's around 40f/50r PSI. If you're considering steel, seriously look at a Gunnar with Waterford fork. The fork is absolutely magic on rough roads.

Tai
Have one of these too in a 55, and it is as represented. However, I'm bigger, and experienced brake shudder with cantis and a steerer tube mounted hanger. A Specialized fork crown mount cable hanger cured that issue. If doing over, would simply go with linear pulls.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:42 PM

I have a Gunnar Sport as well that I run Conti 4000's, a Serotta Concours (ti) with Schwalbe tubeless 25's and a Serotta Fierte IT with 4000s's.

While they are all pretty close in ride, I have to say that the Gunnar might have the best ride quality of the three. However it also has 43cm chainstays and the Waterford steel for which give it about 5cm longer wheelbase. It might not climb and handle as well as the Concours but it is a comfy bike, as is the intent of Richard's design.

I think you can really fine tune much of any material differences between bikes with tires. I am now a big fan of tubeless. With the Concours I can play with tire pressure much more than a tubed clincher. 70/75 psi in a 25mm tire is really really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post

Tai
Old 09-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
Yep, I'm in the same boat. How exactly does this happen (asked rhetorically) ?

Just received a bike that fits Grand Bois Cypres 32s and fenders, just what I asked for. Will probably fit 35s w/o fenders. Then Compass comes out with a 38 and I don't have a bike to run them, arrrgh.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
Looks like the building consensus is for wider tires over different frame material. That is what my intuition was, but it's nice to get confirmation. Thanks all.
Wouldn't chainstay length trump frame material anyway?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
Wouldn't chainstay length trump frame material anyway?
I don't know, does it? I've never had a titanium frame and don't know anyone with one to try, so all of my impressions of it are just from reading reviews or impressions by others.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 PM

I really can't see how Ti and Steel would feel that different. Ti/carbon would, but straight ti vs straight steel? Think they both would be totally fine.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:49 PM

i would venture to guess that how "supple" you feel on a particular day will have more of an influence on the ride than either the frame material or the 5-10psi difference.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etu View Post
i would venture to guess that how "supple" you feel on a particular day will have more of an influence on the ride than either the frame material or the 5-10psi difference.
Having experimented with two steel frames and various psi levels in 700x25 and 700x28 tires, I am going to "guess" no on this. There are clearly tangible differences felt in how much my arms and hands hurt at the end of a ride over some of the rough pavement I ride on.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:45 AM

You might want to check whether the Serotta can take Conti 4000 all-season 28's. They aren't wider than 25's, but somewhat deeper, so they give a nicer ride than many 25's. If you do decide on the steel bike, I see that Michelin has a new version of the Pro Endurance that actually measures 29, and I bet that's a good tire.

I have two Strongs, one in ti and one in steel. The ti one takes 25 max and the steel one takes 32's. This summer, I seem to have spent more time on the steel one. I'm really enjoying the plushness and security of the 32 Grand Bois tires.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I don't know, does it? I've never had a titanium frame and don't know anyone with one to try, so all of my impressions of it are just from reading reviews or impressions by others.
I think framebuilders generally say design trumps material. In other words, an alu frame with long chainstays will ride smoother than a steel or Ti frame with short chainstays, all else being equal.

Ron
Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
cnighbor2

However

Quote:
Looks like the building consensus is for wider tires over different frame material. That is what my intuition was, but it's nice to get confirmation. Thanks all.
However if carrying any Beer go for very low air pressure and ride slow!!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
However if carrying any Beer go for very low air pressure and ride slow!!
Aw come on. Taking a "beer shower" from opening a shaken-up beer is fun and refreshing.