Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM
The B!

Someone asked about toy guns vs. real guns...

I have 5 boys and a baby girl. They start shooting air rifles around 4, real rifles around 5, and get their own .22LR bolt action single-shot rifles at 8. Family tradition.

The wife and I decided a long time ago that we would have an absolute zero-toy-guns policy. They aren't allowed the have or play with toy guns, use sticks as guns, make finger guns.... nothing resembling the shape or function of an actual firearm allowed. Instead, they can get their little boy gun fix by having REAL guns.... but it's deadly serious business. We follow the Four Rules of Firearms Safety religiously. No foolishness or carelessness tolerated at all- not around guns, not in conversation about guns, etc. These guys will respect firearms as the deadly things they are.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Randomhead

no toy guns is a really good policy. Funny thing is, I don't think my kids ever had any toy guns and that's just totally by accident. I loved my toy guns when I was a kid, never had anything that would actually shoot anything though. Air Force cured me of that, damn things are scary in the hands of morons, which is far too many of the people that own guns, I'm afraid.

I'm going to get my lawnmower from the shop tomorrow. The owner shot himself in the leg and is now in a wheelchair for life.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM
The B!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
We started with long guns, 22s to young kids and respect for firearms, then to hunting, then to this, I'm sure handguns and all of that is next...I predict a lock in 5 posts.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Yours truly

Great dad to have! There is a lot for the money in Henry and Savage firearms. Now he will need his dad to get him a lever action Henry and a Ruger Mark something both in 22 LR to compliment his bolt action rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
When my son was 4 I bought him a Henry Mini Bolt. It was the best option for a youth 22 that didn't feel like a toy. He is now 9.5 yo and has outgrown the gun.

I posted the gun for sale on a local hunting forum for $125 and had a taker inside of an hour. I'm happy I spent the extra on the Henry as it has held it's value much better than any other kids 22 I have seen. I delivered the gun in the parking lot of an Academy yesterday where my son and I promptly walked in and purchased a Savage Mark II in 22lr for $170. Throw in a $25 soft case and we got him a brand new gun for $85 or so. I'd say that was a good deal.

Still need to get him a scope, base and rings to finish it out, but otherwise, he'll be set forever with this gun. At least in the rimfire department.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
We started with long guns, 22s to young kids and respect for firearms, then to hunting, then to this, I'm sure handguns and all of that is next...I predict a lock in 5 posts.
Here, let me help it along...

Rapha
Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
Rapha

Made in Italy by Beretta:

Old 09-15-2014, 06:52 PM

I keep a 22 as part of life in the country. And I got it when the kids were small, so that, as others have noted, they could see first hand what a gun can do. The exploding bottle of water is a big deal. There is no substitute for this experience. Especially well organized and supervised
I have also used it to put down rabid raccoons and a fox that were threatening. It has a scope to keep the animal's suffering to a minimum. You want to kill the animal to do that.
So, to the original poster, chapeau on your move and your motives.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 PM

If a nice lever action 22 is desired I would try to find a nice older Marlin model 39 or if you want to go upscale and really nice the Browning BL-22 is a wonderful rifle. Having owned both I prefer the Browning.

As far as hearing protection for juniors it's very tough to go wrong with the Peltor junior size earmuff. I believe they cut out either 19 or 21 db and are low profile enough so they don't mess with a good mount. They're also inexpensive.

When my son was very young I was lucky enough to pick up a cz 452 youth model for him. He thought it was good... till he saw my model 42.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Which begs the question, why would a little kid want to kill anything at all?
Wow, I leave for a couple of hours and come back to quite an interesting set of posts. The point of my original statement is that people often point guns at other people while playing or joking around, and that such behavior is NEVER appropriate or acceptable because you would not want to kill those people. Applying the rule "never point a gun at anything you don't want to kill" would end or at least dramatically reduce all of the accidental shootings that result from such playing or joking around.

That said, if an assailant were causing or threatening death or grave bodily harm to another family member, then I think it would be appropriate for a "little kid" to try to kill the assailant, provided the kid has appropriate training to know how to use a weapon.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
Great dad to have! There is a lot for the money in Henry and Savage firearms. Now he will need his dad to get him a lever action Henry and a Ruger Mark something both in 22 LR to compliment his bolt action rifle.

This should the REAL nut of this thread; how firearms tend to hold their value so well.

Tinkering and maintaining firearms actually holds many similarities with bicycle maintenance, restoration, and such and such.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonoeightysix View Post
This should the REAL nut of this thread; how firearms tend to hold their value so well.

Tinkering and maintaining firearms actually holds many similarities with bicycle maintenance, restoration, and such and such.
+1

Read the whole thread. Great comments and discussion. Thanks JMoore.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 PM
bourbon!

Someone asked why I am not defending my position as a hunter. The simple reason is that there is no point as I have rarely ever swayed anyone's opinion. Most peoples minds are made up, esp. when its called disgusting in the question. And there is no need to defend a perfectly legal activity that I have done my entire life with my family and am passing onto my kids.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post

That brass in the eye isn't going to feel good.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Someone asked why I am not defending my position as a hunter. The simple reason is that there is no point as I have rarely ever swayed anyone's opinion. Most peoples minds are made up
+1

It would be easier to convert someone over from Campy to SRAM.

Normally I'd say that doesn't mean you can't discuss things in a reasonable manner, but on this sort of issue that's also unlikely.