Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 01:52 PM
bourbon!

Flipping stuff - firearms division

When my son was 4 I bought him a Henry Mini Bolt. It was the best option for a youth 22 that didn't feel like a toy. He is now 9.5 yo and has outgrown the gun.

I posted the gun for sale on a local hunting forum for $125 and had a taker inside of an hour. I'm happy I spent the extra on the Henry as it has held it's value much better than any other kids 22 I have seen. I delivered the gun in the parking lot of an Academy yesterday where my son and I promptly walked in and purchased a Savage Mark II in 22lr for $170. Throw in a $25 soft case and we got him a brand new gun for $85 or so. I'd say that was a good deal.

Still need to get him a scope, base and rings to finish it out, but otherwise, he'll be set forever with this gun. At least in the rimfire department.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:56 PM

You sound like a great father.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:01 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
You sound like a great father.
Hopefully that is true
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Classics Fan

I am curious, as someone who supports lawful gun ownership, but has yet to own one yet, and hopefully father at some point...

Clearly guns are not toys.

But there are many toy guns.

How do you keep it clear in a child's mind when they see others playing with guns, or maybe you let them play with toy guns?

I'm genuinely curious about this, because I would think it would be a real problem for a developing mind to grasp this, when they probably see so many examples of guns that are pretend/toy.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:16 PM
bourbon!

My family is a hunting and gun owning family. My son has been around them his whole life. The real guns are kept locked away and my kids know that under no circumstances are they to touch them without an adult around, normally me. There is no mistaking the real guns for toy guns.

He only shoots with me supervising and he is given zero tolerance for poor gun handling. He has been taught proper handling and shooting from the beginning. I trust my son enough to let him go into the woods with his older cousins now, but it has taken years. There are several kids I would not apply this level of trust too, including some of his older cousins. I also do not let him joke about guns in any respect. The topic in my house is serious without being frightening.

Essentially you must instill in them the proper respect of the gun from day 1 and keep instilling it in them forever. I have not experienced any issues with discerning between a real or toy gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I am curious, as someone who supports lawful gun ownership, but has yet to own one yet, and hopefully father at some point...

How do you keep it clear in a child's mind when they see others playing with guns, or maybe you let them play with toy guns?

I'm genuinely curious about this, because I would think it would be a real problem for a developing mind to grasp this, when they probably see so many examples of guns that are pretend/toy.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Administrator

i had a great childhood, and a wonderful family. we have all enjoyed many many holidays together. i can not remember a single birthday or christmas present anyone has ever gotten me except the christmas my dad handed me my first shotgun. i'll probably never forget that one.

cool jmoore.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i had a great childhood, and a wonderful family. we have all enjoyed many many holidays together. i can not remember a single birthday or christmas present anyone has ever gotten me except the christmas my dad handed me my first shotgun. i'll probably never forget that one.

cool jmoore.
how old were you?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Very nice

I truly believe that one of the issues with firearms ownership today is that kids do not respect firearms. They are tools for a purpose. The glorification of thuggery and the idea that somehow a gun makes you more of a man is just so wrong headed.

You are doing it the right way if firearms are going to be part of your family's life.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:33 PM

+1 what jmoore stated. Just about the entiire neighborhood I grew up in were gun owners/hunters. Sloppy or unsafe gun handling wasn't tolerated by anyone. It didn't matter if we were with our fathers or their friends, the same rules applied and pity the kid who ran afoul of the rules.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
My family is a hunting and gun owning family. My son has been around them his whole life. The real guns are kept locked away and my kids know that under no circumstances are they to touch them without an adult around, normally me. There is no mistaking the real guns for toy guns.

He only shoots with me supervising and he is given zero tolerance for poor gun handling. He has been taught proper handling and shooting from the beginning. I trust my son enough to let him go into the woods with his older cousins now, but it has taken years. There are several kids I would not apply this level of trust too, including some of his older cousins. I also do not let him joke about guns in any respect. The topic in my house is serious without being frightening.

Essentially you must instill in them the proper respect of the gun from day 1 and keep instilling it in them forever. I have not experienced any issues with discerning between a real or toy gun.
If only every parent took the time and effort to instill this (and other values) into their children, one wonders how much evil in the world could be avoided.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:38 PM

I grew up in a small farming town in central Minnesota. Turning 11, passing the gun safety course to be able to buy your first hunting license was a right of passage for me and all my friends. Autumn was football under the Friday night lights, followed by early Saturday mornings walking the woods for grouse, and October mornings were in the duck blind (sometimes before school too). It kept us out of trouble.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
bourbon!

I was just happy about getting a good deal on flipping the gun for a new one. I didn't intend this to get into a "how do you raise your kids" tangent

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Great job, Jason. I bought my son his first rifle last year. He's thrilled about it.

He has been told repeatedly about the importance of respecting the power of a firearm and that it's use requires a lot of forethought. Bruce's point about how weapons are glorified and their use seems to have little consequence is a great point. There is far too much senseless use of guns.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

It was a nice move / upgrade to be sure.

But it also connects with folks at other levels

You did /are doing cool stuff with / for your kid

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post

Along with what everything Jmoore said, I would add what I taught my son early and make him repeat it periodically: "Never point a gun at anything you don't want to kill."

"Blowing up" a bottle of water with something as low powered as a .22LR also makes a big impression, and illustrates the above statement in a relatively non-violent way.

Other rules include that he should never, ever, ever show a friend his gun without my being present, and that if he is at a friend's house and his friend tries to show him a gun, he should run!