Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM

PSA really nice broadbeam light (kickstarter campaign)

Hey all.

I came across this kickstarter campaign earlier this morning in my early morning interweb trawls.

I'm not usually drawn to kickstarter efforts... but this one is out of my hometown by a few local product engineers, so it immediately 'cut through' and caught my attention.

But the keeping the 'local' fact aside (as local to me is far-far-away to many on here), it does seem like a really nice little product.

Basically what it is, is a really nice light. It kicks out a fair bit of light, but it is a broad beam... so I'd call it 'usable' and less anti-social light.

The package is also pretty nice - an all in one unit, good battery life on lower (but still bright) modes and really neat mounting options. I'm a big fan of under bar, and it checks that box, but there's also an integrated Garmin mount option which seems quite nifty if you're that way inclined.

They're asking A$155 (approx US$145) for a pledge, where you get the light and basic mounting hardware (the Garmin mount is extra). I think that's a pretty good deal considering how nice the light looks. RRP after the launch is said to be somewhere around A$250.

Anyway if you want to check it out, the link with a real nice video is here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

And some concept images I will place here:

Finally I have no interest in this project other than hoping that it gets off the ground so I can get one. I've pledged $155 to the project, my affiliation ends there.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:50 AM

Exclamation Cataracts

I'm in. My lousy night vision makes those long
night rides scary.
This plus my Schmidt may be the answer
I like my Diablo-- but this is twice as bright
with broader beam
Sounds almost too good to be true
But I will take the plunge
Mojo
Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 AM

I think for that kind of cash I could do all sorts of things for cheaper by looking at this forum;
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/

I strapped a $8 Cree led light to a $20 out front garmin barfly mount that I all ready owned using zip ties. It worked extremely well for commuting on the road to include strobing; which angled correctly/incorrectly is too bright for oncoming cars in the opposite lane.

It may not be rechargeable but 1 AA battery costs me next to nothing.

Last edited by JWDR; 09-09-2014 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-09-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDR View Post
I think for that kind of cash I could do all sorts of things for cheaper by looking at this forum;
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/

I strapped a $8 Cree led light to a $20 out front garmin barfly mount that I all ready owned using zip ties. It worked extremely well for commuting on the road to include strobing; which angled correctly/incorrectly is too bright for oncoming cars in the opposite lane.

It may not be rechargeable but 1 AA battery costs me next to nothing.
I have had issues with the cheap and cheerful eBay cree + external battery setups, namely water ingress and shorting out batteries.

But you're right, they provide plenty of light and can overpower car headlights.

I'm personally happy to pay a bit (read: lot) for reliability, though.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Just bumping this up, 3 weeks left and $30k to go.