Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 02:06 PM

Contador going for all three GTs next year?

He just announced he will target the Giro as his first goal in 2015. The Giro route has not been announced yet he is already planning on it. I think he must have gotten the OK from Tinkov and Riis to try for all three--or at least the Giro-Tour double. He plays coy with it not being in his plans but if he pulls off the Gir-Tour then there is no way he will skip the Vuelta. Legend.

Last edited by CunegoFan; 09-19-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
He just announced he will target the Giro as his first goal in 2015. The Giro route has not been announced yet he is already planning on it. I think he must have gotten the OK from Tinkov and Riis to try for all three--or at least the Giro-Tour double. He plays coy with it not being in his plans but if he pulls off the Gir-Tour then there is no way he will skip the Vuelta. Legend.
Awesome. Like the riders of old.

For what its worth, I think he has to race clean[er] than most other riders because he knows a positive test would be the end.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I would be shocked to see that, but then I was shocked he rode the Vuelta so quickly and shocked he won it so....

Could be a mind game (hope not). He emphasized just how important the right prep was for him this year to be ready for the Tour, and there is no way the Giro is the right prep in the modern era.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Bertie

He's won 6 GT's, stripped of 3
If anyone can win the Triple Crown he can.
I don't see the Shark or the Broome even contemplating that.
Pistolero wants to go out with a bang
Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 PM

He is a uniquely gifted rider and has a chip on his shoulder after losing three of his wins. If anyone can do it, he can. Very few riders are as complete as he is, nor are they as focused.

He usually does what he says he will do and after his 2013 TdF disappointment he said he would change his racing program. It worked and until his crash at this years Tour I was convinced he would win that race and then he won the Vuelta.

It's impossible to speculate too much on whether or not he would have defeated Nibali but it sure would have been a great race.

If anyone can win all three in the same year it would be Contador but even winning two would be amazing.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM

That goal is obviously a moving target.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post

For what its worth, I think he has to race clean[er] than most other riders because he knows a positive test would be the end.
would it matter? If he wins, his actual test results won't matter and the media will hound him until he admits doping under duress and then they take away the win.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:29 AM
Member?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cont...italia-in-2015

The Spaniard is one of only six riders to win all three Grand Tours. Following the Giro d'Italia next year, he announced that he also plans to focus on the Tour de France. Contador explained that his Grand Tour goals are “... more like a Giro-Tour double than an attempt to make the big three in the same year, which is not in my plans at the moment," he said.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
I would be shocked to see that, but then I was shocked he rode the Vuelta so quickly and shocked he won it so....

Could be a mind game (hope not). He emphasized just how important the right prep was for him this year to be ready for the Tour, and there is no way the Giro is the right prep in the modern era.
You can say that twice...he and Riis have this one figured out for now.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Carbon-loving lifeform

One wonders if he is sizing up the competition for the Giro next year. Quintana, Nibali, and Froome all targeting the Tour? Maybe no credible challengers on paper to an in-form Contador. Wiggins could be a wildcard riding for, uh, Orica?

For those inclined to Greek tragedy, seeing Sastre win the Tour triggered Armstrong's return because he was sure he could have beaten Sastre. Hubris leads to disaster. Contador has his full confidence back now that he has beaten Froome, whom he considered his biggest challenger. So now he and Riis think he can beat anyone, recover, and have a decent chance to beat the best.

If oddsmakers laid odds against a successful double, for whatever reason, I would take that bet without hesitation.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cont...italia-in-2015

The Spaniard is one of only six riders to win all three Grand Tours. Following the Giro d'Italia next year, he announced that he also plans to focus on the Tour de France. Contador explained that his Grand Tour goals are “... more like a Giro-Tour double than an attempt to make the big three in the same year, which is not in my plans at the moment," he said.
And Contador started the Vuelta intending to target stage wins instead of the GC. Contador always plays it close to the vest.

It is interesting that at the same time TJ is saying it is impossible to recover between GTs, Contador is planning on doing just that. Although TJ's goals seem to be a bit lower; he only wants to _finish_ all three GTs--not in the same year--some time during his career.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 PM
cnighbor2

wow

wow I am going to take a nap I am tried already just thinking about it
Charles
Old 09-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Contador going for all three GTs next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post

? Why turn it into a doping thread? Cleaner? See they have this thing called a biological passport. By all accounts its working. And for what its worth AC's suspension and loss of wins based on clenbuterol was full of many holes.

Personally I'd like to see him have no excuses coming into a TdF that looks to be a stacked field smack-down.

Its a long way off & curious he announces it so soon.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
One wonders if he is sizing up the competition for the Giro next year. Quintana, Nibali, and Froome all targeting the Tour? Maybe no credible challengers on paper to an in-form Contador. Wiggins could be a wildcard riding for, uh, Orica?

For those inclined to Greek tragedy, seeing Sastre win the Tour triggered Armstrong's return because he was sure he could have beaten Sastre. Hubris leads to disaster. Contador has his full confidence back now that he has beaten Froome, whom he considered his biggest challenger. So now he and Riis think he can beat anyone, recover, and have a decent chance to beat the best.

If oddsmakers laid odds against a successful double, for whatever reason, I would take that bet without hesitation.
He's got very little to lose by doing this. Say he goes to the Giro and wins and then goes to the Tour and loses he can say, "Well, I was too tired to do the double". But if he doesn't do the Giro and then fails to win the Tour then his season is considered a failure and he's got nothing.

Win the Giro and win the Tour and you go down in the history books. Win the triple and you go down as legendary.

I say he tries for the Giro-Tour double and if successful goes for the triple. He just doesn't want to say it now, but that's clearly his goal. If he announces it he sets himself up for failure. If he just does it one race at a time and fails he is a winner, at least if he wins the Giro.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

The very little to lose would be the Tour de France. That's been reason enough to skip the Giro for many, many years for the world's best riders. One imagines Tinkoff would far rather win the Tour than the Giro. Winning the Giro and then coming second in the Tour because he's a little off peak would be a worse outcome than skipping the Giro and winning the Tour, most people seem to believe. Unless he wants to ride for Alonso in 2016, who once was rumored to target Sagan who ended up signing for...Tinkoff.