Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM
The B!

Thoughts on this Speedplay rebuild kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261569078274...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Are there official Speedplay kits that I'm somehow too stupid to locate on the webz?

Speedplay gives a (probably typical) warning on their pedals about rebuilding them... Serious injury or death and all that.. if you do it wrong. Obviously having your pedal shoot off the spindle whilst you're sprinting isn't going to end well..

Anyway.. how's this ebay kit look? Anyone used it, or know anything about it?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Yes, spare rebuild kits are available from Speedplay. The standard instruction manual included with the pedals even includes rebuild instructions. However, Speedplay is strongly committed to supporting their brick-and-morter dealers, so spare parts have to be bought through a retailer. The ebay listing cited above eplicitily makes mention of "Genuine Speedplay kits."
Old 09-19-2014, 01:34 PM

Speedplay claims that the needle bearings are not removable (they are), and does not include them in their kits.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 PM
The B!

So any thoughts on this kit?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Randomhead

I have not used one of these particular kits. I looked at buying the bearing separately and it's more expensive. I would probably buy one before I got a speedplay kit, I would want to replace the needle bearings.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Search the forum

There was a thread a couple of years ago about Speedplay sending a cease and desist letter to a guy in California I believe who figured out how to rebuild the pedals and was selling kits on eBay. He may be still selling the kits on eBay without mentioning Speedplay in his listings, just lollipop pedal rebuild kit or something like that. He had something like 10 bikes of his own with Speedplay pedals and was annoyed that Speedplay didn't offer the parts so he figured it out on his own, then so many friends and friends of friends wanted him to rebuild their Speedplays that he decided to sell a kit on eBay and elsewhere. Anyway, if I were a Speedplay pedal user, I would use that kit if he is still selling it.

Last edited by PaulE; 09-23-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Just annoying that you have to pay for shipping from the UK. Maybe any Americans who tried to sell the same sort of kits were taken down by Speedplay?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 PM

I've rebuilded my Speedplay Frog pedals and it was very easy! Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost was like $37, Ouch!

I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is also replaceable, but the one I had seemed OK, so I just reused it. So DIY and save! Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I've rebuilded my Speedplay Frog pedals and it was very easy! Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost was like $37, Ouch!

I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is also replaceable, but the one I had seemed OK, so I just reused it. So DIY and save! Good Luck!
You should be prepared to be contacted by Speedplay's lawyers for posting this.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:14 PM

I used a local bearing supply and bought bearings to rebuild two sets of Frog pedals for about $18.00. They burned up quickly because they were nearly dry from new. I was about to start injecting grease when one pedal started to lock up.

Your local dealer should have a box full of spare parts, too.

The kit described seems nice, but those parts are available for not much money. He's probably doubling his cost. The O-rings are standard and the bearings come in a few quality levels. Screws are easy to buy and the circlips are also standard parts. Worst case, take a pedal apart and read the part numbers on the bearing, bring the o-ring and clips and buy a few, too.