Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Registered (ab)User

Road bike rentals near Truckee CA?

Anyone have a recommendation for a place that rents decent modern drop-bar road bikes in or near Truckee CA?

I'm heading out there for a long weekend at the end of the month...not long enough to make it worth bringing my bike, but long enough that I'll go stir crazy if I don't get a ride in!

Thanks.

[edit: found this place. Anyone have any experience with them?]

[edit #2: or how about these guys?]

Last edited by Bob Ross; 07-01-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 AM

No experience with rentals, but check in with "TheBackcountry", I know they do MTB rentals. Also, try Paco's Bike and Ski, another shop in town.

Try to find a CX or fat tire road bike if possible. The road riding is generally loops on major traffic roads or out-and-back on smaller roads. If you are willing to stomach a couple miles of fairly mellow dirt/gravel, the Truckee > Tahoe Donner > Hobart Mills > Stampede Dam > Glenshire > Truckee is the best road loop in town and (mostly) avoids the heaviest traffic arteries. Totally doable on a roadie as the loop in that direction takes the dirt section uphill and slow.

BTW, it can very very hot. And even when its hot, an afternoon t-storm or hailstorm isn't uncommon!

Have fun, I miss riding up there...
Old 07-01-2017, 10:22 AM

You might want to consider mtn. biking in that area because there are lots of nice trails that would be a treat.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Check with Paco's in Truckee. Don't know what the have but they are the premier shop in town, they would know.

Mtb biking may be limited by snow. Again they would know.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Check with Paco's in Truckee. Don't know what the have but they are the premier shop in town, they would know.
Follow-up and shout-out: After trying the two shops I linked in my OP -- one didn't rent bikes but also recommended Paco's, the other rented bikes but was 15 miles away from where we wound up staying, and had a ridiculously unacceptable cancellation policy -- we went to Paco's.

Fabulous experience.

Very friendly, thoughtful, and attentive staff, and their rental fleet was all recent Trek Domane 4.0s with Shimano 105 in mint condition. Highly recommended.