Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 AM

It is undeniable that e-bikes have disrupted the moped market.

But all joking aside, it seems like more bikes being sold and used is a rising tide for the industry and for cyclists.

I am a lifelong cyclist and motorcyclist, and those two parts of me don't really communicate. I have great road bikes, sportbikes, dirt bikes, and mtb's. None of them mix.

I just cannot imagine people who buy e-bikes being other than people who want to ride bicycles.

We all have to share the roads & trails and work it out together no matter what we ride, right?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Administrator

2016 top E-Bikes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-YyKy8WWmo

2017 top E-Bikes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwd0AnVDmQI

William
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM

What are the pedals for? Maybe it's none of my business except...
I got buzzed the other day in the bike lane by a motorbike (with pegs and no pedals) where there was barely room for both of us between the parked cars and slow moving traffic. Now I know that he knows that he didn't belong there which makes that dangerous situation a rarity. Getting buzzed by electric motor bikes that also have pedals is happening more frequently and if one of these effers takes me out, I'm gonna react very badly.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 PM

Pedal-assist e-bikes now legal in NYC: http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-ma...ssist-bicycles.

Quote:
Mayor Bill de Blasio today announced that DOT will begin the rule-making process to clarify that pedal-assist bicycles are legal to operate in New York City. The new rule will recognize that pedal-assist bicycles are permissible, whereas throttle e-bikes, capable of travel at speeds over 20 MPH, cannot be legally operated on City streets under State law...
So pedal-assist e-bikes are not capable of travel at speeds over 20 MPH?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Pedal-assist e-bikes now legal in NYC: http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-ma...ssist-bicycles.

The facts in the article are a little cloudy as presented. Will be interesting to see the official DOT / Mayoral clarification.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:00 AM
Vendor

Personally, I'm cool with e-bikes on the road, but I'm drawing the line when it comes to mtn bike single track.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post

Of course they can go faster than 20 MPH. However the CPSC defines an electric bicycle as having a top speed of 20 MPH when powered solely by the motor.. Speeds above that require pedal power from the rider (or a steep hill).
Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 AM

rubbing alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthomas View Post
They look super fun. If I ride to work, it's a one-way trip of 26 miles with no showers available at the office. Could be nice to ride in without busting a sweat and then push it hard on the way home.

But on the singletrack? Eh.
did that same commute for years, kept rubbing alcohol in the office to wipe down after rides. It works and I got it down to about 3minutes total to wipe down and change. had to learn to cruise the last mile into work to cool down a bit--otherwise I kept sweating 30miutnes into my 1st mtg
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM

e-Bikes...thoughts?

I have had this since the beginning of the year; complete game changer for me. I can now commute to and from work (~15 miles each way) without being completely covered it sweat (lots of hills in Atlanta).

Old 04-04-2018, 11:26 AM
DELETE ACCNT

e-bikes are probably the only viable hope of getting more people on bicycles.
They are huge in europe, and companies like Specialized freely admit they only sell in the US market as a foot in the water. It owes its existence to the Euro market demand.

Let go of the romantic notions of "earning" your way up a hill or being fitter and "deserve" to be faster or that sweat is good.

Cycling needs to be a practical, easy alternative transportation tool.
People en masse need to see the bicycle as a MORE convenient and/or faster/cheaper/easier mode of transport.

This has nothing to do with recreational cycling.
This has nothing to do with a "cycling lifestyle".
The people that need to get into e-bikes will never visit a forum like this nor
have any interest in it.

The way most cities are set up, especially LA, the e-bike is the only real hope to spread cycling as viable alternative transportation.

I see some changes on the roads, and more rental bikes out there, but cycling - and cycling infrastructure can only grow exponentially with exponentially more people demanding it.

E-bikes are not for anyone here- they are for those that will never be here.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM
DELETE ACCNT

You are speaking to how someone rides their bike, not to the technology.
The situation doesn't make any sense to e-bikes specifically.

Getting buzzed by anyone, and taken out can happen. I've seen it far more with beach cruisers or unaware pedestrians, than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
What are the pedals for? Maybe it's none of my business except...
I got buzzed the other day in the bike lane by a motorbike (with pegs and no pedals) where there was barely room for both of us between the parked cars and slow moving traffic. Now I know that he knows that he didn't belong there which makes that dangerous situation a rarity. Getting buzzed by electric motor bikes that also have pedals is happening more frequently and if one of these effers takes me out, I'm gonna react very badly.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Randomhead

I'm hopeful they will get more people on bikes. They really seem to have captured the attention of a lot of people around here recently. Not sure why that would be. The LBS I use is going to start carrying them.

This is an old thread, so I might have responded before. I was in the bike shop a couple of weeks ago when the UPS man asked them if they were going to start carrying ebikes. People are interested.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:38 AM
welookgood

more bikes (any bikes) on the road = less cars = YES.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Shifty Member

I'm giving it some serious thought. I have to drive 2-3 days/ week due to meetings, but for those other days take the commuter rail in to the city. The only issue there is that it dumps me at North Station and I work at the farthest peninsula on the Seaport.

No good public transportation, so I have been taking the bikeshare to the office since it's only about 20 mins (public trans is anywhere from 45 mins to an hour). The only issue that that even when I'm la-de-dahing it, I still arrive at work sweaty as hell and with a knee that kills me since the hubway bikes don't adjust enough.

So am currently weighing if I get a folder to bring on the commuter rail with me or get a SpecEd turbo and go all the way into the office.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Before you purchase an ebike, make sure you understand your state motor vehicle law. For example, ebikes are not legal for use on public roads in New York State. Our bike club recently banned ebikes on club rides as our insurance carrier would not cover their use because of the state laws.