Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM

Is it possible to ride up to Hearst Castle?

Spent the weekend on the Central Coast with wife and kids (no bikes, unfortunately), and visited Hearst on Saturday. The 5mi bus ride up to the top was pretty amazing.....immediately had me wondering if they ever allow cyclists to ride up the road. It would be an iconic Tour of CA stage finish as well, but I'm not sure the summit would support the craziness of all the required logistics.

Has anyone ever ridden up that climb? Is it ever open for Gran Fondos, etc?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Vendor

A buddy of mine who works at Lezyne rides it all the time. The shoulder is super wide and it's very common to see cyclists on it. Just wear something bright and make sure the lights are charged.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
A buddy of mine who works at Lezyne rides it all the time. The shoulder is super wide and it's very common to see cyclists on it. Just wear something bright and make sure the lights are charged.
Al the way up to the Castle? The US1 has a super wide shoulder all the way up the coast and saw tons of people out riding, but the road/climb up to the Castle is a two lane with no shoulder. The Castle itself is a CA state park so I figured they restrict access.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:37 PM

I'm not sure, but the climb up Santa Rosa Creek rd out of Cambria is pretty cool and pretty light on traffic. My girlfriend's family is from the central coast so I've spent a little time riding down there.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:11 PM

I've never been to that section of the central coast and I'm dying to get back there with my bike. Might have to check out the SLO Gran Fondo or just plan a trip around a few days of riding.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:21 PM

I think you can only get to the visitors center, the rest of the way is restricted and they take you up in a bus.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2017, 04:49 PM

I'd be interested to know also. I'd like to make it over that way again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Only if you have a sled named R-----d.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM

A semi-related question: Highway 1 is closed in Big Sur is it still bikeable? To ride Highway 1 with little traffic would be heaven on Earth.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
A semi-related question: Highway 1 is closed in Big Sur is it still bikeable? To ride Highway 1 with little traffic would be heaven on Earth.
Nope. The sections closed to cars are also closed to bikes.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM

RE: Santa Rosa Creek Rd. It is a very scenic ride with little traffic but the pavement isn't maintained to a very high standard so fatter tires would be a good idea.
Leslie and I rented a house in Cambria a few years ago and had a lovely time. Cambria is smaller and quieter than many beach communities and there are several excellent restaurants. It is a short drive or a longish ride to Paso Robles and all the wineries, tasting rooms and restaurants there. In the Summer it can be 100F in Paso and 70F in Cambria.

There are several nice hotels, inns and motels in Cambria including some right on Moonstone Beach Road. Since Rte. 1 is closed near Big Sur this might be a great time to do an out/back ride along the coast since traffic must be quite low.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:35 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
I've never been to that section of the central coast and I'm dying to get back there with my bike. Might have to check out the SLO Gran Fondo or just plan a trip around a few days of riding.
I did that ride two years ago and was underwhelmed. There are a couple of nice sections like Foxen Canyon Rd but, IMO, there were also a lot of junk miles and the wind in the afternoon was punishing. If you want to explore that area south of SLO via a supported ride the Eroica is a better choice. But agree that there are some nice routes in the vicinity of Cambria and the area is lovely.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 PM

We stayed at the newly renovated Ocean Point Ranch, at the north end of Moonstone beach and it was excellent. Among the cheaper options price-wise, but didn't seem like it at all....very nice rooms, tons of activities around the hotel that kept the kids busy (shuffleboard, croquet, pool, lasso roping, fire pits, indoor game room with foosball, shuffleboard, etc)

We also ate at Indigo Moon and it was a great meal, even if we just ate all apps.