Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 PM

Choosing the right fit experience: Human or Machine?

Here's my question:

I've been riding the same bike happily for a number of years. I say happily, but I have never been 100% confident in my fit on the frame. I've played with a variety of setback seatposts, hung various washers from different parts of my frame with pieces of string, tried a number of stem lengths and angles--I'm just not sure of the fit.

On top of all of this, last summer I managed to hurt my knee quite badly on the bike. I'm still not exactly sure what caused the injury--No tears, just some inflammation that was bad enough to keep me off the bike and send me to physical therapy for a while. The pain went away, but the nagging suspicion that I should check my fit on the bike did not.

After asking around locally, I have two options:

1. Get a fit session at a local bike shop that uses the GURU system. I've talked with the fitter there, and he seems like a nice guy. I don't personally know anyone who has been fit by him.

2. Go with a fellow who was recommended by a couple of friends on a local racing team. He's worked with their team as a coach and a fitter, and they all seemed to feel that he did good work.

I'm leaning toward option #2, even though the individual in question is quite a bit farther away--a couple of towns over (about 90 minutes travel).

Any advice one way or the other?

Part of me wonders if the GURU fit would result in a more neutral fit that is independent of the bike I'm currently riding. Sometimes it feels like that would be an advantage. At the same time, though, any fitter worth his salt would give a good fit regardless of the starting position, right?

Thanks for listening . . .
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Well, I choose human, and I go up tomorrow for my first appointment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by exapkib; 05-10-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:34 PM

Go with number #2- Experience and a good eye will do a better job than bells and whistles.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Go with number #2- Experience and a good eye will do a better job than bells and whistles.
Funny you should mention that--the fitter who came recommended is a young CAT1 racer and up-and-coming coach on the local scene. As I was in his shop, I found myself wondering how many of the voices here on this forum would respond to working with such a young fitter.

I had my appointment this afternoon--I feel really good about it, though I was haunted by some of the threads in this forum about the vagaries of fitting as we went through the process.

In the end, we brought my seat down a little bit, and forward quite a bit. This second move surprised me quite a bit--I had been trying to solve some discomfort by increasing my setback. After watching me ride for a while, he asked to check where my knee was over the pedal axle (KOPS!). Turns out I was way behind the axle.

I'll get my first miles in this new setup tomorrow, and post here again after that.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:13 PM
n + 3

After reading through a bunch of "fit" sites and blogs, it seems most (seemingly) credible fitters pay no attention to KOPS. Maybe as a starting point for some, but not a standard to follow.

Which shop was this? I'm looking for a good fitter in the valley.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
After reading through a bunch of "fit" sites and blogs, it seems most (seemingly) credible fitters pay no attention to KOPS. Maybe as a starting point for some, but not a standard to follow.

Which shop was this? I'm looking for a good fitter in the valley.
The fitter/coach I'm working with is Patrick Casey in SLC (I can PM contact info if you want). I've been very pleased with the experience so far, though it's still young. One of the things that made me choose to work with Pat: he views fitting as a process, and expects multiple follow up visits after the initial fit (included in the initial fee). In addition, Pat included a set of specific exercises (on and off the bike) to address some of my issues on the bike. As I said, I'm still at the beginning of the process, but I really like it so far.

He looked at KOPS because of some of the specific issues I was experiencing, namely: lower back pain late in long rides and some flexibility issues. It was interesting to me that he measured all of mobility/flexibility issues off of the bike using a variety of balancing/stretching motions. He used the results from those yoga-type maneuvers to find some of my limits on hip and back flexibility, then had me get on the bike and pedal.

Unfortunately, some deadlines at work have kept me from putting in as much time on the bike post-fit as I would like. I've gone up the climbs in Provo Canyon a couple of times, and along the valley floor (Murdock Canal Trail) once. I can feel a huge difference in the muscle groups being called upon, especially when climbing. Lot's more work being done by glutes and hamstrings, relieving some of the pressure I've been putting on the quads.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:32 PM
n + 3

I've heard good things about the fitter up at Bountiful Bicycle. But that's a little too far for me. Hopefully you work through your fit issues. I just want to be able to ride for more than 3 hrs without numb hands (really, just the right hand). I'll have to see about getting a proper fit to see if that alleviates the issue.