Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 12:50 PM

Cheap but lightweight commuter build?

I'm moving soon and will need to manage a 3 floor walkup for all my bikes.

Due to that, I'm thinking of retiring my heavy steel "townie" bike for something a bit easier to heft.

Any thoughts on frames that would build up to something lightweight, but still cheap and durable enough that I won't sweat locking it at the grocery store or bar?

Thinking some of the older aluminum cx bikes could make a good base.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:06 PM

I carried a steel 1982 Schwinn Le Tour up and down 4 flights of stairs all the time when I lived in NYC, as we were living on a 4th-floor walkup and my bikes were on the 5th story (our apartment had 2 floors). It's doable!
Old 05-12-2024, 01:09 PM

Framed Basswood carbon builds up light and can be had cheap. The only issue may be that it may draw attention. I have one here I would move for a few hundred bucks shipped.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2024, 02:13 PM
n - 1

Drops or flat bar?

I picked up a couple of hybrid bikes (Trek 7.2’s) for my daughters. Fairly light and cheap. I got them used for around $100-150.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:02 PM

schlep-able commuter

I think you are on the right track with an older aluminum cx bike.

After years of living in houses with garages, barns and sheds, I have also recently relocated to a walk-up apartment. Second floor up a tight turn.. MTB flat bars DO NOT like it. All my drop bars have been okay. It has been at least 12 years since I have had to lug a bike upstairs and also my current commute is longest it has ever been without public transportation. Thankfully now I also have a car... Anyway, I have been making similar considerations for my commuter.

Not long ago I came across a Miyata Triple Cross on Craigslist for $200. As a classic, basic, parts bin build it came in cheap too... so even if it does get stolen, Im not in too deep. Its not really a light frame, but ultimately comes in about the same as my other bikes because I have it fairly stripped down. For my commuting needs, I find a basket is best. this way, I can take off the bottle cages and whatever other extraneous bits and I just throw water in a bag or backpack that goes into the basket.

I am a fan of the older MTB/ATB bikes of which there are several aluminum versions out there to be found ... not only are they great bc they can take a daily beating, but also they generally do not seem to attract much attention when locked up. The older ATBs/cross/original hybrids are especially great bc so many of those are overbuilt like older mountain bikes, but usually can fit a pretty wide 700c tire and use cantis. This leaves a lot of room for improvement in terms of upgrading to modern components when the time comes. nothing against old 26" mtbs either, but I personally have always had a hard time fitting on long top tubes. -- long legs and torso, shortish arms ---

Also I think to some extent its just like riding; whatever the weight is, youll get used to it! good luck in your search
Old 05-12-2024, 07:14 PM

Do lower specced bikes get stolen very frequently if locked in a rack or am I just being silly to think most bike thieves consider risk/reward when targeting loot? I know some folks do horrible paint job vandalism on their commuters to make a decent bike unattractive to thieves.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:20 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Do lower specced bikes get stolen very frequently if locked in a rack or am I just being silly to think most bike thieves consider risk/reward when targeting loot? I know some folks do horrible paint job vandalism on their commuters to make a decent bike unattractive to thieves.
I’ve had friends tape old grocery bags, old bike tubes, magazines and other garbage to their bikes. That way, it wasn’t permanent. None had their bikes stolen so maybe it worked…
Old 05-12-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’ve had friends tape old grocery bags, old bike tubes, magazines and other garbage to their bikes. That way, it wasn’t permanent. None had their bikes stolen so maybe it worked…
Ahh, like the classic “chameleon” fake commercial from SNL
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/s/ERyftAzZ4o

But yeah it’s not even risk/reward for bike thieves, it’s purely speed and risk. They’ll grab all the bikes that look the most prone and are easiest to remove, not necessarily the most expensive.

An old cx frame with 1x gearing could easily be made 16lbs for very little cash.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:21 PM

Tbh I'm in Chicago, it's so flat that even single speed is fine. I'm seeing some sscx frames on the local classifieds, but the trick is finding one with fender and bottle cage mounts.

That framed carbon frame is flashier than I'm looking for, but it's giving me project ideas.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
Old 05-12-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eephotog View Post
Tbh I'm in Chicago, it's so flat that even single speed is fine. I'm seeing some sscx frames on the local classifieds, but the trick is finding one with fender and bottle cage mounts.

That framed carbon frame is flashier than I'm looking for, but it's giving me project ideas.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
How cheap is “cheap,” and how light is “light?” You can probably get something more modern than a cx bike that will have bottle, rack and fender mounts for less than $750 if you’re patient, and it will weigh around 20lbs with decent room for weight loss.

Something like a salsa journeyman, jamis renegade, or kona Jake al would make a legit commuter and not look too flashy.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:45 PM

I built up a New Albion Privateer this year with the same goal in mind(cheapish, light, not flashy) 105 build with rack and 35mm tires came to 21lbs. Not super light but easy enough to carry up my 25 stairs. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=299476

If your in a super flat area. A steel fixie/ss cannot be beat for weight and simplicity.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:33 AM

Cable disc might also be an option.
I have a Genesis equilibrium frame in debating building vs styling. I bought it to ride for a bit and then replace my current gravel commuter with the Genesis if/when I bought a nicer road bike but keep having second thoughts because it's too nice looking a frame to think about locking it outside haha.

I think there are def some 1x cx deals around. Bought a fuji with the gf recently that fit the bill. It's hydro disk sram so I just feel like we got really lucky!