Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 09:42 PM

Would you swap a 1Up for a Kuat Piston?

Got a 1Up that is about 6 years old and used moderately. I have noticed that the lever/ratchet to release the wheel cradles is getting harder to release and the bar release to lower the rack is also getting harder to use.

No idea if those are replaceable, repairable or just need maintenance, but I have been eyeing the Kuat piston. It looks like a more sensible and evolved design.

I am also confused by Qwikrack vs. 1Up as to who is better. I know who's cheaper.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:52 PM
Vendor

I've used several tray racks. Rockymounts, Saris, Swagman, Hollywood, and Kuat. Kuat is easily the best looking, best made, and easiest to use (although most of them are very simple and easy to use).
Old 04-18-2024, 11:58 PM

nope, i'd not trade

saw one at REI. the 'whack and it releases from the wheels' is cool, but the whacking made the whole rack sway. With the lack of staggered heights of trays, and the way the thing swayed when I hit the release, I'm sure our two bikes could rub each other given the 29er L and XL bike sizes with the guy I rode-trip with--or I'd have to have them staggered so one is sticking out beyond the edge of my truck more than i'd like. I have to be pretty careful even with my 1UP, which is very, very stable.

I've had both a 1-up (for 4-bikes from when the kids rode with me--that hasn't happened for a few years now) and now a quikR 2. Both have been rock solid on multiple trips across the USA. My wife like's the QuikR b/c you don't have to reach under the trays to release it, it also more securely attaches to the receiver without need for extra locking add-on etc.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:41 AM

I have a couple 1 up systems and they have been great.. but after seeing the piston review, I really want to get the roof mounts.. but $500 each is pretty crazy!
Old 04-19-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
I've used several tray racks. Rockymounts, Saris, Swagman, Hollywood, and Kuat. Kuat is easily the best looking, best made, and easiest to use (although most of them are very simple and easy to use).
But not a 1UP? I use a 1UP and have used many of the others, not a Kuat Piston, tho. My 1UP Super Duty is pretty much everything I want or need, other than the drop down sucking, like pretty much all racks. Plus, made in my home state of Wisconsin.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:05 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Nah, the 1UP has a more compact form factor, ease of use, easy access to replacement parts and simple build make it a keeper for me.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:08 AM

Kuat Piston is excellent but I suspect your current rack can be spruced up with some light work. Should last many, many years. That said if you have an itch...
Old 04-19-2024, 08:27 AM

1Up seems to sell a replacement of about every part. I appreciate the simple design and lack of plastic. To my eye, it's the best looking hitch rack and I appreciate that it's US made. I don't have experience with the Piston but a friends Kuat Sherpa always seemed stiff and hard to work with at the clamps after a year or two. The Qwikrack vs. 1Up stuff is patent squabbling that has gone on for years. 1Up seemed to win the race to market big time.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:31 AM
Administrator

I have used both 1up and kuat, and I prefer my kuat, but I dont think you should swap either.

racks these days are really expensive, but the plus side is that you can buy a good one once, and have it practically forever.

What you are describing sounds like some parts are in need of lubrication.

I would start by lubricating all the moving parts and see if that helps, I bet it does.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:43 AM

Racks

I am not super familiar with your rack, but I suspect general maintenance needed. They seem like one of those built for a lifetime type of equipment. That said I love Kuat and have been using their racks for years. I have the NV right now. They answer their phones and have sent me no charge any replacement part needed. They have a loyal customer for life.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:53 AM

The Pistons on the Kuat strike me as excessively complex for the job they do.

You have to decide do they provide enough actual benefit in the times you open the rack to justify the extra expense and the extra chance the system fails due to the extra complexity.

When I was looking Kuat seemed way more luxury branded and 1UP seems to try and be far more utilitarian.

Some of these Kuats are so heavy they mean you can carry fewer bikes or need to upsize your vehicle too, the weight of the rack vs the weight of the bikes you can carry on the rack and stay within your max tongue weight is a huge factor in choosing a rack.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

What you are describing sounds like some parts are in need of lubrication.

I would start by lubricating all the moving parts and see if that helps, I bet it does.
This. I would clean and lubricate the moving parts. 1UP stuff seems to be amazing quality. I’d bet it can be made to “Like New” with a bit of TLC.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:10 AM

Also IMO the real place these things need Pistons is for lowering the rack to put bikes on it or to raise it again. Do any have that?

If the rack weighs 75-100lbs a piston for that would be very nice.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Not all kuat. Just the expensive ones comparable to one up. I owned the lower cost transfer 3 bike for a little while and it stinks in every way compared to the equip d I replaced it with. It was heavy, ugly, way more difficult to install and swayed(they’ve solved that since), difficult to clamp bikes, and far less customizable.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-19-2024 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:54 PM

maintenance

Some basic adjustment/maintenance should help.

https://youtu.be/i8gR4qkZp7g?si=CCwx1sHM0rtUqWlk