Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 AM

Question Bike shoes are the hardest gear to buy.

I don't work for Sidi and have no special allegiance to them. The point that I was trying to make is that their construction is superior to Giro. How they fit is another topic and as others pointed out, highly subjective. I'm fortunate to achieve a good fit with the Wires, but if any of my LBSs stocked shoes in a variety of sizes and makes who knows- I might be wearing Specialized, Shimano, or Bonts. Shoes are so tough to buy - it seems one has to be willing to mail order hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth to sample several pair. I laid out 1G (insane!) for 2 pair of Wires and returned one pair the next day - hoping that both won't appear on my cc statement this month. How do you buy your bike shoes?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM

My Giro Prolights fit perfectly and I've never had any discomfort with them. The different sized arch support inserts make a big difference. To each their own...
Old 07-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushgears View Post
I don't work for Sidi and have no special allegiance to them. The point that I was trying to make is that their construction is superior to Giro. How they fit is another topic and as others pointed out, highly subjective. I'm fortunate to achieve a good fit with the Wires, but if any of my LBSs stocked shoes in a variety of sizes and makes who knows- I might be wearing Specialized, Shimano, or Bonts. Shoes are so tough to buy - it seems one has to be willing to mail order hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth to sample several pair. I laid out 1G (insane!) for 2 pair of Wires and returned one pair the next day - hoping that both won't appear on my cc statement this month. How do you buy your bike shoes?
If you paid $500 for the Wires you paid too much. You can routinely find them at least 25% off retail. But I agree with you about the construction quality being top notch on the Sidis.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army View Post
If you paid $500 for the Wires you paid too much. You can routinely find them at least 25% off retail. But I agree with you about the construction quality being top notch on the Sidis.
Sounds good - where are the at least 25% off sidi wires? Beside jolly ole England?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushgears View Post
I laid out 1G (insane!) for 2 pair of Wires and returned one pair the next day - hoping that both won't appear on my cc statement this month. How do you buy your bike shoes?
I order Shimano custom fit shoes online, found 2 pair for $99 each,
my LBS guy does the molding with my custom insoles. Stock shoe?
never again.

-g
Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Sounds good - where are the at least 25% off sidi wires? Beside jolly ole England?
BikeTiresDirect.com. You just have to wait 3-4 weeks and they always have sales popping up. Plus, you get 10% back in award points.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM

I love my s-works shoes but the sidis do seem to have the italian construction thing down pat - aka the finish is beautiful, only tried them on, never worn them riding

Tags
empire, giro, sidi, wire