Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Selle Anatomica Saddle Opinions?

I've searched and while there have been quite a few for sale in the classifieds, I don't see a lot of chatter and reviews.

I've got about eight saddles hanging on my wall but still nothing that really feels good after 35 miles. Certainly nothing that "disappears" under me.
I've read some reports elsewhere and those who like them really LOVE them. However I guess my big concern is weight. My LOOK 585 weighs in at 15.5 and I'm not sure I could bear adding all that saddle weight on top. I could live with the clunky looks...but they certainly are heavy. Also, it does not appear there is a Ti version.

Opinions? By the way, I weigh 132 lbs so I don't think leather stretch and sag would be too much of an issue.

Last edited by Hawker; 11-15-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Selle Anatomica Saddle Opinions?

Am interested in this as well. I was searching the forum last night for threads about these. Found a little info but mostly just casual mentions, which were generally positive. I am a similar weight and was looking at the T Series model. I don't think my LBS carries these but I may try to find another shop where I can test ride.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:38 PM

There is no saddle I have seen (except those with spring suspension) that weighs so much that I wouldn't use one if it "disappeared beneath me". My B-17 is really good for me and, surprisingly, so is an Arione. Nose up/down adjustment is critical and small changes make BIG differences in comfort.
I might like an Anatomica but I have had problems with other cut-out saddles.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:42 PM

I have 2 of them, and really like them. I've done gravel centuries, and back to back centuries without issue, and I wear cheap bib shorts. My go-to long distance saddle. I have noticed a little more sag than a brooks, but the adjustment bolt is plenty long, and it is easily tweaked back into perfection with a few turns. There is a no-slot version for those leary of such things, but in practice I don't notice slot at all.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:56 PM

You nailed it. While the Anatomica is a beautiful saddle, the problem is weight. That said, I think the recent redesign is a great improvement in both adjustability and longevity. It is still pretty damn wide at the thighs if that's a concern.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Riding Along

So you are willing to suffer for the sake of an extra few hundred grams which by the way adds a total 0.43% to the mass of you, your bike, and some water bottles. In what way do you really think that 300 grams will slow you down? Sorry to sound harsh, but to suffer for the sake of such an tiny amount of mass that has no real effect on performance comes across as bit silly and vain.

The saddles are very comfortable and are very well reviewed. However, everyones arse is different and there is no one solution. BTW they are on sale for $99 direct from the manufacturer and this does not seem like a huge risk and may be worth the effort and cost.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:06 PM

Rivet

You might want to take a look at the Rivet models which were designed by Deb Banks a former Selle Anatomica employee. Lon Haldemann (RAAM champion) endorses them and he has a fair amount of time on leather saddles of all versions.

If I have a pair of Rapha classic bibs on along with the Rivet Independence, I am as comfortable on a bike as I have ever been....not sure if it disappears but it comes close.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:06 PM

They aren't for gram counting weight weenies or racers. They are for people who care more about miles per day, than miles per hour....like me.

On that note, they are also comfortable when I'm riding my steel bike, wearing jeans
Old 11-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Princess Sweat

If you poop before you ride you can counter the weight gained by a comfy saddle.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
So you are willing to suffer for the sake of an extra few hundred grams which by the way adds a total 0.43% to the mass of you, your bike, and some water bottles. In what way do you really think that 300 grams will slow you down? Sorry to sound harsh, but to suffer for the sake of such an tiny amount of mass that has no real effect on performance comes across as bit silly and vain.

The saddles are very comfortable and are very well reviewed. However, everyones arse is different and there is no one solution. BTW they are on sale for $99 direct from the manufacturer and this does not seem like a huge risk and may be worth the effort and cost.
"Silly and vain"...cyclists? No way. Yes, I know they are on sale which is why I'm giving it some serious thought.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
If you poop before you ride you can counter the weight gained by a comfy saddle.
Thanks Bro...a very elegant and practical approach.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:47 PM

My rear end does not care what it weighs. My comfort is worth a few extra 100 grams or so.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Older Than You

I just bought one of these.
http://selleanatomica.com/collection...eather-vintage

I've had it less than a week but so far so good. If you're a weight weenie, this saddle is not for you. A few extra grams is not a problem for me.

Their website is running a clearance right now for $99.99 plus shipping.
Check eBay and you can get one with free shipping with full warranty.

Last edited by biker72; 11-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Check eBay and you can get one with free shipping with full warranty.
One of the threads I read in my research last night (can't remember if it was here or another foruum) had someone who contacted SA directly and was told that they would not warranty saddles purchased from eBay. Could be incorrect or different now, but just throwing that out there in case anyone really needs the warranty.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:12 PM

I had one, actually still do but don’t ride it anymore. Good saddle, perfectly comfortable, and yep, a bit of an anchor on top of the seat post. I don’t ride it anymore because it stretched out too much, and I only weigh 150. That was after maybe 5 years of use I suppose. Decided not to bother getting it recovered. Didn’t like the idea of forever having to get it recovered. Took it off and put my old Selle Italia flight ti or whatever it was called that I’d ridded for years. Rode it for some more years and was perfectly comfortable on it again. Finally it was looking pretty ragged after a total of maybe 20 years of use so bought a Fizik Arione (I think that’s the model, kind of forgotten) and now that one is perfectly comfortable. In other words I don’t think my experience with the saddles is one to be counted on because I seem to be quite good on a variety of saddles that are pretty different. But to return to the Anatomica, for me it was fine and if it hadn’t stretched out, I suppose I’d still be on it despite it being an anchor.