Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 05:38 PM

Sorry Dan, this sounds infuriating.

A few ideas:

1) Trying a different stem strikes me as the low hanging fruit here. Pretty easy to do, swap for another temporarily (even if it's the wrong fit) or buy a cheapo or second hand to test.

2) Could your steer tube be out of round? Measuring this would be tricky, of course, but any glaring signs like dimples or cracks under the stem clamping area?

3) Could the compression plug be overtightened and causing the steer tube to bulge? This could, again, lead the steer tube to be out of round and greatly reduce the friction between stem and steer tube. I can think of a couple ways to eliminate this: 1) ditch the compression plug and epoxy in an aluminum insert. Cervelo used to strongly recommend this method. 2) Start with a tight compression plug, set pre-load as per routine, partially tighten stem bolts (3 or 4 Nm) to hold the pre-load, then loosen compression plug before fully bringing the stem to torque spec, then re-tighten compression plug.

4) I think a couple others above are talking about something like Chris King's HEADSET SCUFF WASHER:
"Headset scuff washers protect your headset's anodized finish, eliminate unwanted noises, and make up for some variance common in non-Chris King headset spacers."
This came with my CK headset and they strongly recommend using it. I think the idea is it compresses a bit to absorb any tiny gaps between top cap and stem/spacer stack that could otherwise allow the top cap and bearing to shift over time.
Old Today, 12:47 PM

Any updates?