Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Is it just the price that has got everyone all riled up?
No one is "riled up", we are commenting on a new cycling product that has come to market.

My critical comments had nothing to do with the price.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Did Silca get bought out by private equity or something?

Just milking the last of the brand name into the grave?
I don’t know the finances, but Silca was bought by Josh Poertner some years ago. He’s one of the original marginal gains guys from the World Tour.

The company has definitely pivoted into offering a broader selection of items, with heavy marketing. I wouldn’t say Josh is milking the name and squeezing the company to death (as a random PE buyer might do), just doing things differently than the original family owners.

I use their wax and lube, will use the new OEM chain grease remover next time I get new chains, and have a few recent pumps and saddle bags. So far, so good.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
No one is "riled up", we are commenting on a new cycling product that has come to market.

My critical comments had nothing to do with the price.
We are on page 4 with some overly critical comments about a bar bag that looks like 90% of the burrito bar bags on the market. Maybe I just have to accept that "yelling at clouds" is the standard Paceline reaction.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe I just have to accept that "yelling at clouds" is the standard Paceline reaction.
Just stop with this nonsense.

It's a bike forum. Should we not talk about bike parts here?

I will add that I have a bunch of Silca stuff, their new gravel floor pump is the best floor pump I have owned. I think it's fair to be critical when a company tha I think makes some very good products comes out with a miss.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:

I will add that I have a bunch of Silca stuff, their new gravel floor pump is the best floor pump I have owned. I think it's fair to be critical when a company tha I think makes some very good products comes out with a miss.
(X) Like
Old 03-15-2024, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Maybe I just have to accept that "yelling at clouds" is the standard internet reaction.
Hello and welcome to the internet.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I don’t know the finances, but Silca was bought by Josh Poertner some years ago. He’s one of the original marginal gains guys from the World Tour.

The company has definitely pivoted into offering a broader selection of items, with heavy marketing. I wouldn’t say Josh is milking the name and squeezing the company to death (as a random PE buyer might do), just doing things differently than the original family owners.

I use their wax and lube, will use the new OEM chain grease remover next time I get new chains, and have a few recent pumps and saddle bags. So far, so good.
All this.

In listening to the interviews done with Josh over the years it seems like he cares about building a good brand, a good business, and contributing back to the cycling community with great products. Definitely not a money grab and I dont think they would release something that they didnt feel was a top tier product. That's ok, I'll still buy their other stuff.

That doesnt change that I feel they missed the mark a little bit with this one - if nothing else its another bar bag in a very saturated market that doesnt bring anything unique to the table, like their saddle bags do.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:07 AM

This place....

Private label goods are generally pretty high margin and if it keeps Silca and Josh in biz doing the other heavy lifting cool stuff they do, who cares? If you don't think you will like it don't buy it. And just because it doesn't appeal doesn't make it a miss especially when you have not used it. I don't care for round/barrel style bags so I have no interest but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

My critical style is better and more appropriate than your critical style of foruming .
Old 03-15-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Exactly this. Silca puts out reliably quality stuff. From their waxes to their sealant to their pumps and tools to clothing and seat bags. I have all of those things, some bought at full price, some at half price sales, and it's all exceeded expectations.

A handlebar bag is a hard thing to get right. I'd have liked to see something significantly better than what's currently on the market if they're going to bother. To this point the best handlebar bag I've tried is a re-purposed Rivendell saddle bag (Banana Sax). Which doesn't fit the Silca aesthetic, but maybe they could look there for a quality mounting system and design.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
Exactly this. Silca puts out reliably quality stuff. From their waxes to their sealant to their pumps and tools to clothing and seat bags. I have all of those things, some bought at full price, some at half price sales, and it's all exceeded expectations.

A handlebar bag is a hard thing to get right. I'd have liked to see something significantly better than what's currently on the market if they're going to bother. To this point the best handlebar bag I've tried is a re-purposed Rivendell saddle bag (Banana Sax). Which doesn't fit the Silca aesthetic, but maybe they could look there for a quality mounting system and design.
Initially when Josh took it over, it seemed like they wanted to execute on some niche products for high margin (i.e. 3D printed titanium bike computer mounts), which some people laughed at, but nobody else was doing it, so the asking price could be justified.

When you stitch your logo on a me-too product that doesn't meet the design and quality ethos, AND charge premium, it surely falls far from where they started.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:33 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Is it just the price that has got everyone all riled up? I will admit it is way overpriced.

But the handlebar bag itself is similar to dozens already on the market that seem to be very popular. And don't get crapped on here like this one has.
Not sure if 'riled up' is accurate, even if the thread hits 200 posts. The comments themselves overall seem reasonable and thought out.

This does look like dozens of other bar bags that have been sold over the last 7 years, correct.
I don't expect Silca to release a bar bag that is revolutionary or game changing or whatever other descriptive marketing terms could be used.

I dislike this bag because...
- cost for perceived value is wildly imbalanced compared to mass produced bar bags.
- cost for perceived value is wildly imbalanced compared to most boutique produced bar bags.
- the attachment choices are less than elegant compared to many other bar bags of equal or lower cost.
- the foam spacers look like a kludged together afterthought, especially at this price.
- this setup, from a company and owner that is universally known for pushing marginal gains, seems a bit ironic.

I don't have some passion for bar bags, but the $35 Leadout bar bag I currently have on my gravel bike works fine for $35. I don't love the straps, but they are secure and the bag was $35.
If I paid $95, I would want straps I like
Old 03-15-2024, 10:38 AM
Back At It!

some thoughts..

1. I fully believe Josh is in the business because he loves bikes and bike tech and wants to put out a good product. He has extensive history on the Pro Tour and with Zipp, I don't think he is trying to milk the brand for as much money as possible.. if this was the case, their customer service would not be top notch as it is..

2. Bar bags are a dime a dozen and, I assume, is pretty hard to do something new.. from the pictures available so far (just outside), this looks like a run of the mill bar bag that could be bought for half the asking price at some sites.. Are these being made locally there in Indy or from somewhere overseas? I mentioned RoadRunner bags (as did someone else) and these are made locally in LA and still seem to be a bit better deal than the Grinta bag.. now, this new bag may have amazing options inside like pockets/mesh, contrasting color inside, etc.. if so, that will completely change my mind on it.. but I assume that would have been mentioned in the ad copy if so..

3. this is a bike forum that folks come on to discuss cycling in all of it's glory.. so yes, bike bags are a target of discussion.. especially from a company that is known/adverstised itself as marginal gains and high quality..

4. Silca has had some misses.. while I LOVE my Hiro pump head, the gravel pump just feels cheap compared to my Lezyne.. if I had paid full price, I would be a lot less happy..

5. weather is getting warmer!
Old 03-15-2024, 10:40 AM

The release video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y0bk6m8_is

7-8 watts benefit to aero for the rear bag
5-8 watts additional drag for the front bag

Both bags are more feature packed than first glance but I think the front bag made a lot of aesthetic compromises for the internal frame and waterproof design features.

IMO the Ornot bag is still the best burrito bag on the market but the Silca looks good if you need waterproof. I initially bristled at the price but mainly because I haven't bought luggage in a few years and actually comp shopping today, neither seems exceptionally priced.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:12 AM

"Best in category" handlebar bag say video. I gather there is disagreement about that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
The release video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y0bk6m8_is

7-8 watts benefit to aero for the rear bag
5-8 watts additional drag for the front bag

Both bags are more feature packed than first glance but I think the front bag made a lot of aesthetic compromises for the internal frame and waterproof design features.

IMO the Ornot bag is still the best burrito bag on the market but the Silca looks good if you need waterproof. I initially bristled at the price but mainly because I haven't bought luggage in a few years and actually comp shopping today, neither seems exceptionally priced.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
For me, what makes or breaks a bar bag is a well thought out and executed attachment system, along with good rigidity. This one looks like crap to me.
Yes that is pretty bad/bulky

My wife & I use the Leadout bag which you can usually find for $40-ish
1.3 liters of storage (8" x 3.5")
The bar attachment is very smooth & not intrusive to hands on bar tops

Also the attachment to the fork tube is not needed. We found the bag does not bounce around or need that third attachment point.
Then again we are riding paved roads