Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
There are many possible hang ups in putting a bike together...this shouldn't be one of them. 3 separate wraps of electrical tape pulled snug on each side is plenty. Anything more complex than that is waaaaay over engineered. Who cares if it stretches. It certainly isn't messy. The bar tape is what keeps things secure, not whatever industrial strength engineering department approved tape solution one can dream up to keep the pesky cables in place _prior_ to wrapping the bar tape.
I do not get this kind of criticism. Do you think that mechanics that do other than how you do it ponder this for hours while in a cold sweat struggling to come up with an "over engineered" solution? Their nervous OCD as compared to your insouciant nonchalance. Yeah, how'd was it possible NOT to know that the bar tape was what kept everything in place, what a denouement!

I am joking with you, of course. I take exception, in a friendly way, to use of the phrase "over engineered" when used apparently either as a put down against a thought out solution or as one extolling the simplicity of your own solution. I could put down your method as "slop dash" but I won't because I feel no need to disparage your method as a means of elevating my own.

On a lighter note and back to reality it is more like this: Hey, it's my bike and I do all my own work on it. Like most things in life, I'll do my best at building it and upkeep of it the best way I know how because I can. For me it should look like a machine run with all the fastidiousness and pride as one might find on a Formula1 racecar. Because I can. That you might differ in your approach is perfectly fine with me and I wouldn't call it "waaaaay slop dash".
Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 AM

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone to the sporting goods store up the block and bought hockey tape, instead of going to Home Depot to buy electrical tape.

I obviously didn't think this would end up with fortysome responses, but there's a right way to do things and a less-right way to do things, and if we can't share that here, among our fellow bike geeks, where can we share it?

Did I mention these were Campagnolo cables? Does that change things?
Does Campy make Il Nastro Per Guaine that secures the cables and optimizes the shifting performance of 11-speed gruppos--Chorus and up, of course--but can only be cut with a tool that costs $297 and does nothing else but cut this tape?

Last edited by Avincent52; 07-28-2015 at 09:54 AM.