Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 07:08 AM

Confessions of a Wax Chain Convert

In the past, I always used an oil based lubricant on my chain and thought that was good enough. A few drips once and awhile and call it a day. When my chain got a little noisy, add some lube. I thought those that purchased a crockpot to wax chains were a little overboard with their bike hobby.

A few months ago, I was saw a Silca video on YouTube that showed the process to wax a chain. I thought to myself, alright I will give it a try. I got some acetone, mineral spirits, wax, and made the pilgrimage to Walmart to buy the $10 crockpot. My wife is like what are you doing buying a crockpot for your bike stuff.

After throwing the waxed chain on my new build, I hereby apologize to all those I scoffed at in the past with their waxed chains as I have now joined you in the wax chain ridership.

My chain was silent as I ride along the local bike path. I thought this was impossible even when I used to try to perfect the chainline on an oil lube chain.

To all those out there thinking about going to a wax chain or scoffing at the wax chain, you will not regret the conversation.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:41 AM

OK, I'll bite. I'm an oil dripper guy but curious about wax.

How often do you wax?

Also, how does riding in wet vs. dry change this interval?
Old 04-24-2024, 08:07 AM

The quiet of a freshly waxed chain won't last all that long. I don't know where acetone comes into play, unless it's to remove water. It doesn't dissolve paraffin.

I'm happy with applications of my pennies per ounce home made paraffin based liquid drip lube every 150-200 miles. Far fewer chain removals. Taking the chain off for cleaning is at the owners discretion, but I clean every 600-800 miles, riding on clean roads.

Anyone who rides in wet dirty conditions might be swapping chains after every ride, regardless of the lubricant used. Others will wipe the chain off and slop some more lube on, never cleaning the chain.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I don't know where acetone comes into play, unless it's to remove water. It doesn't dissolve paraffin.
That's right. the acetone is to remove any mineral spirits residue and help dry the water out of the chain faster. Could also use denat alcohol.

I ordered a Silca crockpot and stripchips from Biketiresdirect that should be delivered today. Excited to see how the 1 step process works on some new chains.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandcomm View Post
In the past, I always used an oil based lubricant on my chain and thought that was good enough. A few drips once and awhile and call it a day. When my chain got a little noisy, add some lube. I thought those that purchased a crockpot to wax chains were a little overboard with their bike hobby.

A few months ago, I was saw a Silca video on YouTube that showed the process to wax a chain. I thought to myself, alright I will give it a try. I got some acetone, mineral spirits, wax, and made the pilgrimage to Walmart to buy the $10 crockpot. My wife is like what are you doing buying a crockpot for your bike stuff.

After throwing the waxed chain on my new build, I hereby apologize to all those I scoffed at in the past with their waxed chains as I have now joined you in the wax chain ridership.

My chain was silent as I ride along the local bike path. I thought this was impossible even when I used to try to perfect the chainline on an oil lube chain.

To all those out there thinking about going to a wax chain or scoffing at the wax chain, you will not regret the conversation.
Welcome to the club!
Old 04-24-2024, 09:03 AM

Glad you found something that works! I’ve dabbled a few times and it doesn’t last for me anywhere near what others report riding my mtb and all road bike mostly off road. I find silca synergetic lube to provide all the benefits of wax (minus clean touch chain) without the extra effort and time.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:12 AM

I tried it all last season after just using Silca drip for a year and decided to just revert back to Silca Synergetic for my needs. I always have to try stuff for myself to understand.

Certainly clean and quiet but maybe not meaningfully so for me and wet lube works great for me and my process/needs.

Have fun.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
OK, I'll bite. I'm an oil dripper guy but curious about wax.

How often do you wax?

Also, how does riding in wet vs. dry change this interval?
I use Molten Speed Wax and it lasts a long time (hundreds of miles). I'm impressed with the cleanliness, longevity, component life, and it isn't that hard to do. It's amazing how clean my drivetrain is. Having several chains to rotate between cuts maintence time further. I don't ride in wet conditions but wax is not good for that. Silca Super Secret drip wax is pretty good as well.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:39 AM
ZhugeLiang

My first "good" road bike, An Italian lugged steel - Olmo. My baby. Melted some paraffin wax, threw the chain in. White-coated flakes, let it snow let it snow. That was 40 years ago. Haven't done it since.

What was old is new again.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:58 AM

So far I've simply cleaned my chains really well with mineral spirits, make sure they're clean and dry and then apply the Silca wax lube from the bottle. I know it's not the recommended process. I do have a crockpot ready to go when I get around to it. I've found applying wax to the chain from a bottle to work really well. I wipe the chain clean and drip more wax ~100/150mi. Then every 1Kmi I do the boiling water treatment and repeat the drip wax. Again, it's not the recommended process but I already like it much more than any lube I've used in the past.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:01 AM

Welcome. Now, go forth to facebook groups and spread the gospel and silence the naysayers who, like you were as a child, never tried the magic of Wax, yet "know" it is not worth it.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I tried it all last season after just using Silca drip for a year and decided to just revert back to Silca Synergetic for my needs. I always have to try stuff for myself to understand.

Certainly clean and quiet but maybe not meaningfully so for me and wet lube works great for me and my process/needs.

Have fun.
I started using Synergetic a few months ago and the chain is silent, same as wax.
Application is super easy and I don't need acetone or mineral spirits or need to remove the chain from the bike. The only drawback is you don't want to touch the chain as it will leave black grime on your skin. Although the chain is still pretty quiet it is probably close to needing another application.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:22 AM

I thought no religion or politics...

on the Forum? Praise NFS. You put it on, it works. You clean your chain, put it on, it works. Every once in a while you buy a new chain. Crock pot available for price of shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandcomm View Post

Last edited by eddief; 04-24-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I started using Synergetic a few months ago and the chain is silent, same as wax.
Application is super easy and I don't need acetone or mineral spirits or need to remove the chain from the bike. The only drawback is you don't want to touch the chain as it will leave black grime on your skin. Although the chain is still pretty quiet it is probably close to needing another application.
Dry, dusty conditions here.

I find after application the first ride the entire drive train needs to be wiped down. A dry microfiber towel removes it quickly with a rub down of all areas the chain touches. Maybe once more after the next few rides and then I don’t really think about it for quite awhile. It lasts longer than the silca drip and hot wax I tried and is silent. My drivetrain doesn’t build up crud like I typically experience with most wet lubes.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:47 AM

side benefit of using waxed chain is not worrying about touching the chain as you wipe the chain stays since it doesn't attract as much grit and grease. I usually wipe down the bike and then the chain, wash the rag, in a couple minutes. leaves the bike looking clean for the next ride out.