Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
With the lower labor costs in China, the 2000 USD for a Winspace frame just makes me "raise my eyebrow'. I feel that it should be cheaper.
Interesting debate - how then do you put a value on custom, high end, boutique brands from the far east like, for example, Ioklin (beautiful steel from Taiwan)? On this basis shouldn't frames made in certain European countries (with lower labor costs) also theoretically be cheaper? The bike business is as much about marketing as most other consumer goods...
Old 01-23-2024, 08:13 PM

Wait a minute -- what is this brouhaha about 3D flat mounts? Moots has been using them for years now. What am I missing? 3D printed flatmounts are not new on the Vamoots 33.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:56 AM

I like it. As a brand, Moots has never been the lightest nor the least expensive. Their aesthetic has always been on the minimalist/conservative side. A bike with a 38mm tire option that can easily do road and gravel and priced considerably lower than their other offerings is a great option IMHO. To some, no luxury brand is worth more than a similar product at a lower price point. Clothes, cars, watches, etc. Compared to a less expensive Ti frame, a No.22, Baum, Firefly, Speedvagen (Ti), Bingham or DeSalvo make no sense. And yet they do to many. We all ultimately vote with our wallets. Go Moots.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:47 AM

IDK what it is, because I generally love moot's and think their bikes are cool and look great... This one, just looks awful for reasons I can't figure out.... for the price I'd want to be excited to look at my bike too.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:56 AM

It seems Moots hasn't been afraid to experiment with new concepts in recent model years. That's not a bad thing because innovation is important. Honestly, most look like a hot mess but they must be selling because MSRP is bonkers and there are no signs of that changing. Even more brazen considering the state of the industry.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
$7.5K with SRAM Rival AXS, and basic aluminum wheels and cockpit? And then you have to pay $300 for shipping...

You can buy a Litespeed Arenberg with 105 Di2 and similar build for $3.8K.
You're not wrong, but there is no point to making this comment either. Buying a new Moots has never, ever been for those seeking a good bargain or best value for the dollar. Litespeed/lynskey have always been significantly lower priced than Moots. Nothing has changed.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
You're not wrong, but there is no point to making this comment either. Buying a new Moots has never, ever been for those seeking a good bargain or best value for the dollar. Litespeed/lynskey have always been significantly lower priced than Moots. Nothing has changed.
I think there may be a point. I don't know if it is true or not, but it feels to me like the gap between a Lynskey/Litespeed in pricing is expanding. Especially comparing US made production frames. That is a pretty big price gap to justify - when the biggest difference appears to be the name/brand image.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:54 AM

Seems moots can’t win these days here.

Looks like a pretty basic bike to me that’ll get the job done. There are plenty who can easily afford it and like the name. Kudos if they have the market for it since that means more titanium for me to ogle at on the road.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Pricing is subjective, but you can currently buy a new Aethos with Ultegra Di2 and carbon wheels for $6K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
The head tube/steerer/stem junction is immediately eye catching and not at all in a good way.
Knowing how remarkable Moots bikes ride, I can almost forgive the challenged aesthetics. Though plenty of makers show that it is possible to produce a more handsome ti bike, and so it is reasonable to expect a nice(r) looking bike at the Moots price point.

It's also a tough sell given the equally amazing carbon bikes you can buy for so much less.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 01-24-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:47 AM

It's a Moots. I am sure it rides great for its intended purpose and the price tag is for a full bike at least. They have never been a lower priced brand or for everybody, but I have never thrown a leg over one I didn't enjoy riding.

It is all relative to what you want out of a bike and how much it's worth to you as an individual. I rarely pony up retail for bikes, so I am not the target market for a new one of these. It still looks like a well made bicycle from a well known and consistent company.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:55 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

This looks like the Vamoots they should have released 3 years ago and maybe did with the Vamoots disc road from 2018
https://thecyclinghouse.com/moots-vamoots-dr-review/

-Flat mount front and rear, I don't care if its 3D print or machined.
-Almost horizontal tube tube and road geo
-Support for a little larger all road tire (32mm would be fine with me).
- 27.2 post, 1/8 steerer
-Non integrated headset

Also didn't see a frame only option and nobody is paying $7k+ for Rival AXS.

Last edited by kppolich; 01-24-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:21 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
nobody is paying $7k+ for Rival AXS.
How much are you willing to bet, and what odds you giving?

Although if you and me are nobody, you are dead right.

Is the +10k starting Ultegra cabled or Di2? Cabled I'd bet.

Just a personal observation. Even Lynskey has tapered HTs, the straight beer can 44HT for even 1/2 this price point... is going to doom this itself. IMO

Shoulda done some 3D or sexy HT. Look for a discontinued model in record time.

Last edited by robt57; 01-24-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:42 AM

fwiw...this bike is completely unremarkable

nothing new for construction, design, features...and its expensive...i dont get it.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:50 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
nothing new for construction, design, features...and its expensive...i dont get it.

If you mean you 'won't get it". I get it.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:56 AM

I just want to know why they named it 33 vs. 38?