Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2024, 07:24 PM

The uncompleted sale as a sign to just keep a bike

So, I’m a bit of a bike collector and have this bike that I’ve almost sold twice only to have the sales ended with someone wanting to haggle over the price when I’ve already otherwise done a lot of facilitate the sale, such as agreeing to drive 60 miles to meet up with the buyer. I’m again thinking this is just a sign from the universe that I should abandon all hopes of selling said bike at a price reasonable to me. Thoughts? Comments? Opinions (and definitely lots of those).
Old 02-24-2024, 07:30 PM

Karma......
Old 02-24-2024, 07:31 PM

In my world, there are no signs. You either sell the bike because you no longer want it. Or you do not because you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
So, I’m a bit of a bike collector and have this bike that I’ve almost sold twice only to have the sales ended with someone wanting to haggle over the price when I’ve already otherwise done a lot of facilitate the sale, such as agreeing to drive 60 miles to meet up with the buyer. I’m again thinking this is just a sign from the universe that I should abandon all hopes of selling said bike at a price reasonable to me. Thoughts? Comments? Opinions (and definitely lots of those).
Old 02-24-2024, 07:34 PM

I’ve learned a lesson selling lots of used bikes over the years when I had to sell off my collection…if your going to drive to meet someone, take a non refundable (friends and family via PayPal deposit) that if deal falls through for any reason you keep the deposit. Payment in cash at delivery minus deposit. I’ve been 100% sales with this approach if I’m driving it somewhere while it was 50% prior because of people changing mind.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:35 PM

Never drive 60 miles to see a buyer; they assume that you’re too invested in making the sale and feel that they have the upper hand.

The buyer always does the driving.

Meanwhile, I’m going to be in San Diego (well, Carlsbad) with five other vintage collectors for a week of local riding. We’re meeting in LA, doing the Rose Bowl vintage ride on the 3rd, then taking a couple of days to ride down to SD, finishing with the Brian ride on the 10th. If you’re interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by rccardr; 02-24-2024 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Never drive 60 miles to see a buyer; they assume that you’re too invested in making the sale and feel that they have the upper hand.

The buyer always does the driving.

Meanwhile, I’m going to be in San Diego (well, Carlsbad) with five other vintage collectors for a week of local riding. We’re meeting in LA, doing the Rose Bowl vintage ride on the 3rd, then taking a couple of days to ride down to SD, finishing with the Brian ride on the 10th. If you’re interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM.
Yeah, I don't think I'll offer to drive unless maybe it's a forum member. I think I've realized that the bike has an inherent value to me that appears to be higher than the more practical value to someone else. The bike in question is one I've had for 9+ years, so I've gotten my money's worth.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:39 PM

Like nmrt said, if you really wanted to sell it, you would have. Yes....take it as a sign.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:42 PM

6 mile drive…….maybe. 60 miles? Absolutely not.

I don’t know……..I don’t really get too emotionally attached to any of my bikes (ok maybe one)…….but if I had a bike for 9 years, and used it on a regular basis during that time…….I would hang it in the garage and glance at it every so often before I went out of my way for someone who might buy it.

That is unless you just don’t have to space to keep it…….
Old 02-25-2024, 06:30 AM

I'd rather give a bike away than sell it to a chisler.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:59 AM

I've bought a lot of stuff off the PL classifieds and I've never haggled with any seller. I have asked for a package deal to save on shipping, but typically the prices posted in this forum are usually fair and sometimes so low that I feel a little guilt. I bought a Ti frame/fork that came with a post and stem for a killer deal. A month later, the seller was looking for a stem much like the one sent with the new frame. Without hesitation, I sent the stem back because he had given me such a good deal. I think it was $3 in postage.

I have sold stuff locally and I always tell the prospective buyer not to bring a low ball offer after we agree to a price. If a guys waves cash thinking it will sway my decision, I just walk away and shut the garage door.