Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So..I keep the $6800 or so, save it..wait, drive the car(which is fine for me) and then have them maybe buy it back in 2018...OK..no lose, IMHO.
Only thing is if the car gets totaled for any reason I think you lose out quite a bit. I haven't looked into whether you lose the entire buyback or not.

If that wasn't the case I'd drive our cars until just before the end of the buyback period. As it is I'm uncomfortable driving them any more than necessary.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Only thing is if the car gets totaled for any reason I think you lose out quite a bit. I haven't looked into whether you lose the entire buyback or not.

If that wasn't the case I'd drive our cars until just before the end of the buyback period. As it is I'm uncomfortable driving them any more than necessary.
If you get totalled, you still get the restitution part of the payment. And if it's still operable, it's possible you could negotiate a smaller payment from the insurance company, and get the full amount from VW as well. Fred's TDICLUB forum about dieselgate has spent an amazing amount of bandwidth on these scenarios...
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post

I'll take that chance rather that get a replacement that's not exactly
what I(and wife) wants. Not going to make concessions because of VWs diesel-gate.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:27 AM

Grrrrr. Got an email from VW today saying my final offer doc was missing the notary seal. Well, it's there, but it didn't show up when I scanned the docs. Had to find some carbon paper in the office and get the seal re-stamped with the carbon paper on top of the form. It's visible now, if not entirely readable. We'll see if VW accepts it this time.

So there's a warning to you - if you can't see the notary seal on your scanned doc before you upload it, VW can't see it either and they'll reject it.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post

So there's a warning to you - if you can't see the notary seal on your scanned doc before you upload it, VW can't see it either and they'll reject it.
You could not see the raised seal on my scanned copy either. however the Notary also stamped it (in addition to signing and using the pressed seal) with one of those self inking stamps which had name and other notary info on it which you could see. And VW accepted my no problem.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 AM

Insurance

It is like a classic denial in the insurance business- give them a chance to deny (even if it is stupid) and they will deny.

Quote:
Grrrrr. Got an email from VW today saying my final offer doc was missing the notary seal. Well, it's there, but it didn't show up when I scanned the docs. Had to find some carbon paper in the office and get the seal re-stamped with the carbon paper on top of the form. It's visible now, if not entirely readable. We'll see if VW accepts it this time.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 PM

Got my offer from vw on Monday notarized it on Tuesday and got accepted today. Look out, they're getting that polluting POS back on Dec 30th at 6.30p

An aside, its a great car-this whole thing is a series of tragedies caused by morons that go to business school. Lord, spare us all

Last edited by peanutgallery; 12-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 PM

Still waiting for my offer. I finally relented and put the snows on.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Still waiting for my offer. I finally relented and put the snows on.
Maybe that's like washing your car to make it rain. Good Luck.

I got my offer yesterday and since we have a notary in the office it was returned by afternoon. And for those keeping track, my car was not owned outright as it had a few payments left. The car was purchased in 14 and financed for 60 months with VW although I had made a big payment right after purchase to reduce interest and eliminate gap coverage insurance so it only had a few months left.

Anxious to schedule the return as I already picked up a replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5.jpg (69.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

I got my email link to transfer the VW payment from Chase last night at 8:30 pm. My buyback appt was Dec 6 at 1 pm, so less than 36 hours between turning in my car and receiving my payment from VW. I still don't actually have the $$ though, as Chase advises "2-3 business days" before the payment shows up in my own bank acct. Almost there!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 AM

Tomorrow is my big day. Cleaned it out last night (and found about an inch of standing water in the well where the spare tire is.... ***? How did that get in there????). Tonight the wife will follow me over to the dealership and I'll plant the car there so I can just drive my new car there tomorrow for the buyback and have a car to drive away in.

Buyback is at 2:30, hoping to be on my mountain bike by 3:15 before I have to pick the kid up at daycare.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:47 AM

Cool! Hope it goes well. We have our buyback appointment scheduled - December 23rd, 530pm. Fingers crossed.

Hey, anybody know if you can swap out seats? I'd love to hang on to the cloth seats in the 2014 TDI Golf and put them into the 2017 Golf we just got. The new fake leather seats aren't nearly as nice imo.

And, hey again, while I'm at it, anybody ever yank a 2.5L 5cyl engine out of a Jetta wagon and drop in a GTI engine? Just dreaming...
Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Cool! Hope it goes well. We have our buyback appointment scheduled - December 23rd, 530pm. Fingers crossed.

Hey, anybody know if you can swap out seats? I'd love to hang on to the cloth seats in the 2014 TDI Golf and put them into the 2017 Golf we just got. The new fake leather seats aren't nearly as nice imo.

And, hey again, while I'm at it, anybody ever yank a 2.5L 5cyl engine out of a Jetta wagon and drop in a GTI engine? Just dreaming...
It would be shocking if they'd do a seat swap, but, who knows? You're staying in the family. You might be able to source the cloth seats on eBay or CL or junk yard.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm getting a 4-motion 'S' wagon... but that model with a 6 spd manual trans isn't available until Spring.

So... one more winter with all the salt/slush/sand in my '13 Golf tdi. Maybe a good thing.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 AM

After a lot of hurry up and wait, I got my offer earlier this week, got it notarized and back to VW the same day and the 27th in the morning is the big day....first day/time available on the calendar at my local dealer. Bittersweet time actually. I really like the car, but not enough to pass up being able to sell it back for nearly what I paid for it 2 years & 39,678 miles ago.

I noticed the instructions said specifically what you need is ID, registration or title, keys & the car itself having arrived at the dealer under its own power....so I guess that would not address upthread topics such as swapping wheels, seats or whatever else. I know I'm keeping my expensive weather tech mats, and may remove the mud guards and trailer hitch that I added myself. I did call the help line to verify that the mileage in the offer was correct (if you haven't seen it yet, you may be disappointed that the offer does not have a highly detailed breakdown of how it was calculated)...I was good, actually even though I had original guesstimated mileage thinking I could correct it later. The help line folks sounded like they were operating at their limit...i.e., not a great help.

Also, like someone upthread, I still have a small payoff having paid for most of the car and financed a bit of it.

Hmmm, now that i think about it, if I am doing the buyback on the 27th and a payment is due by mid-month, will I be getting back what I just paid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
autoscam, boring threads