Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 02:37 PM

SRAM Flattop Chain Link

I am new to the flattop chain party. Seems cool enough, but why can the quick link be reused?

Is it only afforded one snap into place?

I seem to remember using the Shimano quick links over again without issue.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
I am new to the flattop chain party. Seems cool enough, but why can the quick link be reused?

Is it only afforded one snap into place?

I seem to remember using the Shimano quick links over again without issue.
Most chains claim the quick links are single use (Wipperman had a patent, maybe?). Most can be reused a couple of times without issue. Same is true with the AXS chains - I've reused the links with no issue, same as I used to do with Shimano chains.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:17 PM

Probably because A) they want you to buy more quick-links B) they don't want to be liable for a re-used quicklink if it was somehow damaged during removal
Old 03-18-2024, 03:26 PM

As someone who tested this with YBN quick links, after a certain amount of cycles, it became more difficult to snap the quick link back into place, and they developed some play. Still useable in a pinch, but not ideal.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:46 PM

I've reused the AXS links at least 6 times. As long as there's some snap to them, there shouldn't be a problem. I keep old ones if I'm experimenting with something that's likely to require repeated chain removals. Try not to use a link for more than the life of a chain. It's tricky if you have a dozen in use.

The wipperman link doesn't rely on an interference fit to keep it in place, so it can be removed as often as desired, but still not used for longer than the life of one chain.

Last edited by Dave; 03-18-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:52 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I'm with Dave^^^^
Old 03-18-2024, 06:33 PM

Speaking of chain links……..I’ve used Shimano and YBN 11 speed chain links in the past and they’ve always had a bit of resistance when snapping them into place. Although I have the Park tool, for assembly I’ve always just used the crank to connect the link. It always took a decent push on the crank arm to get it to snap together.

Just fitted a brand new 11 speed KMC chain and link…….I noticed that the link had barely any resistance when snapping it together. Does that seem the norm with KMC?
Old 03-18-2024, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I'm with Dave^^^^
Me too.

Instagram
Old 03-18-2024, 07:32 PM

I keep reusing mine (I have a bunch of chains in rotation). They still snap.

Unfortunately, flat top chains only have one quick link that fits….the one from sram.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:22 PM

I don't rotate my chains or remove them until it's time to replace. SRAM links are $5 each if you buy a card of four. I recently removed my chain because I changed the chainrings from 33/46 to 35/48 and needed to readjust the FD and remove and reinstall the crankset. I used a new link. I don't think SRAM is trying to sell an unnecessary $5 part as part of an overall corporate profit plan. The plural of anecdote is not data.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM

SRAM quick links are relatively cheap and definitely much cheaper than dental work. I'd also hate to be putting down power only to have the chain snap on me. I just don't think it's worth taking a chance for $5-7 when they're widely available online or from any LBS.

The new Campy Super Record C-links on the other hand are also single use only and upwards of $30+ each!

Take a look at Wipperman/Connex as I think they claim their quick links can be reused a finite number of times.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemalar View Post
Just fitted a brand new 11 speed KMC chain and link…….I noticed that the link had barely any resistance when snapping it together. Does that seem the norm with KMC?
Yeah, the first installation of my KMC quicklinks requires a touch more force but after that I can pull them closed with my hands. They still require pliers to open so it seems safe enough. I've been reusing them for the life of the chain (10-15 opens/closes per chain) and had no problems.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
I keep reusing mine (I have a bunch of chains in rotation). They still snap.

Unfortunately, flat top chains only have one quick link that fits….the one from sram.
I just started using a KMC 12 speed link on Force flattop chain and riding/shifting seems same as the SRAM link. I did recently buy a set for SRAM links and will be working them into the mix...
Old 03-19-2024, 07:12 PM

YBN and KMC are universal links, so the inner width won't be as tight fitting with an AXS chain.

I've seen connex links that are priced like a new AXS chain.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:00 AM

I use them 3 times in total, as a general rule. That's an arbitrary number, but it seems a sensible balance between fiscal pragmatism and keeping safe.

As (bad) luck would have it, a friend's popped out this weekend. He was pulling away from lights, and was lucky the road was quiet as he swerved across the road in trying to stay upright. I had a spare and we fitted it at the roadside. It took a few goes to snap in (using the foot on pedal technique), but we got it in the end.

No harm done, but possibly a cautionary tale nonetheless.