Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
surprising, i thought you were pretty anti-rolex JR?
It's kind of funny. Sort of like OP in so far as his dis-like of Sram. I deal with Rolex, b/c it's hard to be in the watch buss and not. I also own a few, but over all, you are correct. Maybe not anti, but not my fav, for sure.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
I don't wear my watch on rides ( Rolex 18k President Day Date). I ruined my other Rolex ( stainless/gold date) that my wife bought me in 1977. She bought my President in 1987 and it still runs perfectly. The Rolex is a great compliment to a Campy equipped Hampsten SBTI. Don't you think?
Gosh, now I need to think about what watch to wear on my Campy ti Gran Paradiso? I have enough trouble figuring out what kit to wear on what day

And I obviously need to upgrade the watches I own....
Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
I don't wear my watch on rides ( Rolex 18k President Day Date). I ruined my other Rolex ( stainless/gold date) that my wife bought me in 1977. She bought my President in 1987 and it still runs perfectly. The Rolex is a great compliment to a Campy equipped Hampsten SBTI. Don't you think?
This is one of the reasons I have, for 40 years or so, never worn a watch on the bike with a (current dollar value) of more than about $50. That and weather.

If I trash my Timex, I will be angry, not devastated.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 PM

P nut, ...or an Iscaselle Time!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Good question.

BTW; I've got a 18k datejust whenever you are ready.
When I win the lottery, 18k GMT Master.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT-II-1.jpg (71.3 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-04-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Does anyone use a Garmin running watch to track their data instead of using say a 500? I get tired of the tabs breaking and thought that might be a good way to clean up the bars, but am wondering about battery life etc.
I use a Garmin 910xt on my wrist, along with cadence sensor on chainstay. It's compatible with ant + power meters if you have one. Battery life is meant to be 12-13 hours (enough for an ironman triathlon if you're so inclined). I Don't miss having a computer on the bars. Great piece of kit.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:36 PM

stylish sports watch

I wasn't sure which watch thread to resurrect, so feel free to redirect this elsewhere if the information already exists.

I wear a battered old Suunto T3 that Ive had for years. I own a vintage Omega Deville dress watch that I have had for about the same amount of time. I bought the Omega in Geneva when I lived there because it is a beautiful object, but never wear it because it is too fragile.

Ive realized that I simply want one watch to wear for everything and I want a nice-ish watch. I would sell on my Omega to fund a new watch, and I suspect my budget is about $1200US (preliminary - happy for it to go down and MIGHT let it go up).

I don't dive and I don't dig the complications of mechanical watches, so a quartz model is fine with me. I am envisioning a few other things:

1) either a black or silver case and strap.
2) light-ish (perhaps incongruous with a good quality watch
3) simple aesthetics (no chronos/bezels)
4) durable as heck (I would wear this MTBing for example)
5) average size - I have 'slender' wrists, so no 46mm watches need apply
5) totally waterproof - swimming/showering.

My wife has a silver Omega (seamaster?) that is classic and elegant and I like it, but perhaps it is too timeless, if that is such a thing!? I followed that Sinn thread and thought it looked nice, but know nothing of the durability/quality/availability.

I know there are hundreds of options and it largely boils down to personal tastes, but are there any nice, simple sports watches that can take a beating and then be worn with dress clothes? Any examples?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 PM

Omega Seamaster Professional

I have been wearing an Omega Seamaster professional now for about 10 years, it's probably about 30 or so years old, a hand me down from my dad. I love it, the only time I take it off is when I sleep, it goes everywhere with me, beach, ocean, bike rides, work, you name it. Why keep a nice object in a box to wear occasionally, enjoy it every day. I have owned sport watches, not the expensive Suunyo or Garmin, eventually they all failed. If I need data I have my iPhone with my all the time, so I'm set. Do, wear your Omega, enjoy it!
Old 08-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
I have been wearing an Omega Seamaster professional now for about 10 years, it's probably about 30 or so years old, a hand me down from my dad. I love it, the only time I take it off is when I sleep, it goes everywhere with me, beach, ocean, bike rides, work, you name it. Why keep a nice object in a box to wear occasionally, enjoy it every day. I have owned sport watches, not the expensive Suunyo or Garmin, eventually they all failed. If I need data I have my iPhone with my all the time, so I'm set. Do, wear your Omega, enjoy it!
Thanks for the advice. The Omega that I own is a dress watch, as in, unsealed and very delicate. It would die an immediate death within seconds in a shower! I would need to sell this one and buy another.

I agree, however, that there is no point in keeping a nice watch in a box.

I have no interest in smart watches at all - I like having a watch on my wrist and also carry my iphone almost everywhere I go, so I can check email that way if need be. It sounds horrible to have my watch beeping at me, honestly.

Any thoughts on other brands to watch for?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Seiko Quartz, titanium case and band. Very sturdy but not too big/thick.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 PM

I like my Hamilton Khaki "pilot", it's pretty inexpensive (compared to what else people are showing here), bombproof-wear all the time I prefer steel band to leather because I don't worry about soaking it, simple elegant dial and no stupid multiple dials because I'm not an ace pilot. I'm not a deep sea treasure hunter or astronaut, and I'm not commanding the troops on a precise dawn artillery attack. If I were any of those things I would probably go with a cheap digital anyway! I just need to know what time it is, and sometimes the date. I regularly work across multiple time zones on several continents, I use a phone app for error free calculations for meeting times and flight schedules, better than a watch. Expensive complicated watches with lots of dials and frou frou are silly IMO. This one is 38mm for my skinny wrists, I wear it pretty much all the time, although for mountain biking I wear a cheap and light ironman that doesn't bounce around on the wrist as I prefer a loose band. This one is about $500 although different versions are often on sale for less.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:29 PM

For cycling, I've been wearing my Garmin Fenix 3 watch with custom Raw Hide strap!

I love getting text messages on the watch while riding, in the event someone texts/calls me for an emergency. I ride with my iPhone in a Rapha pouch in my jersey. Hard to see who calls or texts while riding.

Same features at the Garmin 1000 and my front end is clean! Just a view of my tires and sometimes bad cable job.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:08 PM

One of the smaller size G-Shocks. I like the ones that communicate with the atomic clocks and have solar recharging. Rugged and super lightweight.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 PM
なんでやねん

I've taken to mainly using a Casio G-Shock G-7700 model. I like it because it has a really nice interval timer built in. Not to the level of a Fenix or anything but for simple intervals it works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g-7700.jpg (39.7 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by ceolwulf; 08-08-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Seiko Quartz, titanium case and band. Very sturdy but not too big/thick.
I think this checks all your boxes. Probably not the funnest option, but very practical.