Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 07:24 PM

Here’s my mess[ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C571CA1-FB99-417E-8EF2-FDC122EB84F9.jpg (70.9 KB, 864 views)

Last edited by Mikej; 02-25-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM

http://biketoss.com/
Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Need to declutter a bit but overall, OK!

Last edited by kppolich; 06-07-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:14 PM

Can we get a 2023 update ? I need some inspiration
Old 09-27-2023, 02:25 PM

Just finished mine! I looked at lots of examples from here and the Salon to get ideas … pleased with how it came out. Outside shed, so no A/C in the summer months makes it tough; but a space heater for the winter should make it tolerable. It’s small enough space that I have to put the repair stand outside of the shed when working on a bike (so it’s a strictly fair weather operation).

Update - I decided to add the vintage Campagnolo tools onto the board. Although it’s not often I use the old Campagnolo tools (bought them in my mid teens 45 years ago!), I felt they deserved a place of prominence/honor on the tool wall rather than in the tool chest!

Speaking of vintage, note too the large tub of Campy grease, which is probably from that same era; it’s almost 3/4 full still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3508.jpg (143.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3499.jpg (138.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3525.jpg (140.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3498.jpg (119.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3547.jpg (125.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3546.jpg (123.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by wgp; 03-23-2024 at 03:47 PM. Reason: updated tool board
Old 09-27-2023, 02:28 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgp View Post
Just finished mine! I looked at lots of examples from here and the Salon to get ideas … pleased with how it came out.
Very nice!

I recognize the handles on those Wera screwdrivers...
Old 10-14-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus07 View Post
Can we get a 2023 update ? I need some inspiration
How’s the project coming? Hoping others will post up their workshops too!
Old 10-14-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgp View Post
Just finished mine! I looked at lots of examples from here and the Salon to get ideas … pleased with how it came out. Outside shed, so no A/C in the summer months makes it tough; but a space heater for the winter should make it tolerable. It’s small enough space that I have to put the repair stand outside of the shed when working on a bike (so it’s a strictly fair weather operation).

Update - I decided to add the vintage Campagnolo tools onto the board. Although it’s not often I use the old Campagnolo tools (bought them in my mid teens 45 years ago!), I felt they deserved a place of prominence/honor on the tool wall rather than in the tool chest!

Speaking of vintage, note too the large tub of Campy grease, which is probably from that same era; it’s almost 3/4 full still.
Great bikes, very nicely equipped, great tools….clearly a man of great taste…
Old 10-15-2023, 02:04 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
How are the tools clinging to your truing stand? Is everything in your shop magnetized?
since this thread popped back up onto the 1st page and I'm just now seeing this post AND assuming that question was for me (and I haven't already answered) the answer is yes.

Got some rare earth magnets from a hobby shop next to one of the shops I used to work for and attached them and the spoke wrenches to the truing stand.

I always know where my spoke wrenches are since they're right on the truing stand

The new to me van I'm kitting out as a mobile workshop has 6 x 18" magnets waiting to go onto the wall. 1st step tho is to figure out how to cut a hunk of HDPE to match the curvature of the van's opposite wall for a workstand.

M

edited to add: there's newer stuff on the board, but since I come home, work on something for a few min, then have to do something else, I'm pretty type B on this bench. Work? Different story. There everything's clean and put away since a. customers see the work area (van or shop), and b. that's how I make my living.

I'm always trying to put things I always use front and center where I can reach tools easily. Things I don't use often are on the outer edges and higher or lower than 'right in front of me.' So folding wrench sets are right where I can grab them, etc

Last edited by Gummee; 10-15-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:19 PM
Randomhead

If my shop ever gets as messy as the ones in this thread, I will have spent a couple weeks cleaning.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
If my shop ever gets as messy as the ones in this thread, I will have spent a couple weeks cleaning.
When asked about his messy desk, Einstein remarked “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then what are we to think of an empty desk?”
Old 10-15-2023, 05:34 PM

If the basis for a bike room is that it’s badass, I have a leg up today - I set two rat traps for my furry friends that are starting to piss me off. I have a bunch of bike stuff, some ****ty old tools and an OG trainer (aka no computer , screen, etc) sitting on gravel to pedal away winter km.

Truth be told, I would love a nice, clean, well lit, rodent free space with a really awesome stationary bike setup to do this - I cannot deny this!
Old 12-23-2023, 07:31 PM

Inspire me: show me your workshop

Still working on it but a vast improvement from before. Definitely much easier to work on bikes when I don’t have to hunt for my tools. I was worried that I built the pegboard too big. Then I hung my tools and have no regrets.

Trying to decide if I want to make a modular setup on my bench top so I can swap out the vise for my truing stand. Leaning towards just mounting the vise and securing the stand in it when I need to use it.

Before

After
Old 12-24-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
nah, i'm thinking of a straight up barn on a farm. with giant barn doors on the side that opened to a (surprisingly) finished interior.
I have a pole barn at my new place, but it's not yet organized, and it's definitely doesn't now, and never will, "opened to a (surprisingly) finished interior."

I'm still getting settled into and working on the new house, getting a lot of stuff fixed, etc. Electrical, plumbing, gutters, etc. While nothing is complete, several things are converging to completion.

In my opinion an unfinished basement is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, an unfinished basement is also a place where hoarded and useless stuff can remain for decades. It's a perilous balance. When I lived in an apartment no such thing would ever happen. In various ways, those were better days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-12-24_DSC2556.jpg (69.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg 2023-12-24_DSC2557.jpg (69.1 KB, 291 views)
Old 12-24-2023, 01:53 PM
Randomhead

My workshop has gotten so bad I have to move things to do any work -- again. I should take a picture, but I won't want to be reminded. Adam Savage did a video about shop organization about how to fix a situation like mine. His advice: do one thing at a time.