Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Decently "fast" 26in commute tires

I commute on an '87 Stumpjumper that currently has 2.5in Specialized Rhythm Lite's mounted. They roll pretty smooth for the most part, but by no means are they a fast rolling tire. There are not a ton of puncture risks on my commute other than glass, etc. so I'm looking for a tire that would be faster, likely smaller diameter, and likely more supple.

I've read some about rando/touring tires and have no real domain knowledge to how these tires would work for my use case since. I'd appreciate any input on what would be a faster rolling, more balanced commute tire.

Fast is simply defined as a lower crr and likely better casing. If I can reduce crr by a reasonable percent, it results in a lower commute time which is always great.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:29 PM

The current state of the art in 26" rando tires is the Compass Rat Trap Pass. 2.3" but very light and supple.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 PM

I've got a pair of super sweet Kevlar-beaded 2.3 inch Schwalbe Super Motos that are reasonably light, roll really nicely and have a nice plush pseudo-suspension feel.

I think they may be discontinued in 26-inch though. I bought mine from Germany at Bike Discount.De for a very nice price and they might still have a few. (I checked and they seem to be out of stock, sadly.)

If you want sheer roll, try the Schwalbe Kojak (1.4 and 1.9 inch) or the Ritchey Tom Slick (1.5 inch IIRC)

Last edited by Avincent52; 12-01-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:28 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalker View Post
I commute on an '87 Stumpjumper that currently has 2.5in Specialized Rhythm Lite's mounted. They roll pretty smooth for the most part, but by no means are they a fast rolling tire. There are not a ton of puncture risks on my commute other than glass, etc. so I'm looking for a tire that would be faster, likely smaller diameter, and likely more supple.

I've read some about rando/touring tires and have no real domain knowledge to how these tires would work for my use case since. I'd appreciate any input on what would be a faster rolling, more balanced commute tire.

Fast is simply defined as a lower crr and likely better casing. If I can reduce crr by a reasonable percent, it results in a lower commute time which is always great.
my wife rides her '98 FSR to work on the kenda trax - reflective sidewall. they will work better than what you have but with the iron cap may not be supple as you prefer.

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/f...er/kwick-trax/
Old 12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
n - 1

2.5"? Too fat for commuting for my taste. I'd get some 26x1.8-2.0" tires. I've had good experiences with Conti Town & Country and Kenda Crisp tires. In fact, I think I still have a pair of the Crisp tires with good tread, if you want to try them out. They're a bit old, but yours free + shipping. They're wire bead, so box will need to be a bit bigger.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:04 PM
ZhugeLiang

Continental Town and Country.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Continental Town and Country.
I agree here too. I haven't put in a lot of miles on them but I've always loved the ride quality.

Panaracer T-servs ride really nicely. I can't really speak to the speed of them, but I haven't done too poorly with them.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 12-01-2015, 07:35 PM

Paselas are great 26 inch commuter tires. Affordable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 07:46 PM

Schwalbe Marathons (pick your version) are pretty incredible tires, they're very durable, fast and smooth rolling and very true (round). Many available sizes and belt options. My wife's commuter runs Marathon Plus 650bs and I replaced a set of Barlow Passes on my M'cross with a pair Supreme 29 x 2.0s for a specific event and never took them off.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 PM

Continental Travel Contacts, slick and indestructable.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:08 PM

You didn't mention any budgetary concern .... but for like dirt cheap you can go with the Kenda K-Rad 1.95 that I've been running on an urbanized '87 HooKooEKoo for years. Good traction dry or wet pavement, enough tread to not fear sand patches or shortcuts, wear like iron, cost nothing, roll smothly and easily, what's not to like. Pretty damned good and for the price, awesome.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 PM

1.85 WTB's.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 PM
#bottlestorage

I have a similar ride and I use Schwalbe Fat Frank's.

Can't speak to fast, but the feel faster and not sluggish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Paselas are great 26 inch commuter tires. Affordable too.
Another vote for Panaracer Paselas. For commuting on the road, 2" tires are silly overkill. 26x1.25" or 1.5" at most. They even have a folding version for substantial weight savings. A fine casing and not too much tread.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Another vote for Panaracer Paselas. For commuting on the road, 2" tires are silly overkill. 26x1.25" or 1.5" at most. They even have a folding version for substantial weight savings. A fine casing and not too much tread.
I actually agree. That's why I have another set of old XT wheels with 1.25 Ribmo's. One set for street another for MUP, trails, gravel grinding.

I wish these Fatboys were still available.

Same bike in geared gravel grinder form with 1.5 Avocet Crossroads. A great, bullet proof tire, also no longer made.