Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Anquetil View Post
Being a Snap-On fan to the point where I chase after the Snap-On trucks like some dogs after a wheel, I bought the orange and white plastic torque wrench recommended above. I don't like it. The way it "breaks" when it has reached the desired torque is way too abrupt. Abrupt to the point that you might strip an aluminum head as the tool jerks when "breaking". Also, when measured against two other torque tools I have (Venzo and Anschutz rifle torque wrench) it seems to have a higher measure level than the others. That is, it "breaks" noticeably after the other two. Maybe the way the tool fits in your hand has something to do with it. I'd rather just use the lowly Venzo.
Assuming you "measured them" by comparing them, there is no way to know which is the one which is reaching the correct torque.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
Assuming you "measured them" by comparing them, there is no way to know which is the one which is reaching the correct torque.
Yes, you're right, the exact calibration of all wrenches would require a precision instrument. However, having two wrenches that break evenly and one that doesn't seems like a parameter of sorts to me. I tighten a bolt to say 5NM, then use the second wrench and it breaks right where the previous one left it, but the third (CDI) goes notably past that calibration before breaking. I'd rather not use it.

Last edited by J. Anquetil; 12-01-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 AM

+1 effetto mariposa. It works well and can slip into backpocket easily when needed. I brought it with me during the first few rides after I installed a new saddle, post, bar and stem. I was able to fine tune my cockpit on the road without worrying about torque value.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Pack fill

Store in a cold garage

I also have a CDI "clicker" style. I store my tools in an unheated garage where the temp may get down to 0F a few times a year. Does the cold affect the calibration? Should I store it inside the house?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM

+about 4 now for effetto mariposa. Need to remember to change it to zero before storing.