Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulasaab View Post
Oops... Now that you mention it. Sorry. My mistake. It was more than 4 years ago, so my brain latched onto the semi-similar name and wouldn't let go.
No biggie, I only know the breed because my friends, who are brothers, have them and I have spent too much time with them. When I read about the Corso, it reminded of the Canario, which has also killed people. I think it's an ugly dog and too much dog. One brother wanted the CP after he saw a burglar leaving his home on the Golan.

To each their own, I'll take a herding dog any day, and a malamute if it doesn't bother my allergies.

Another neighbor just got a Great Dane rescue and I don't see the attraction. Someone down the block has their 2nd Burmese Mtn Dog. Gorgeous, but the teenage daughters struggle to walk him every day.

Last edited by 93legendti; 12-01-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Responsibility obligated to a 23 year old? And a college student by occupation to boot? And to make the trifecta, a large, powerful animal that requires a constant, unwavering and steadfast master to toe the line properly for both itself and its relationship to humans and other pets.

With all respect, I am not sure this was well thought out. And I understand the remark about "easy not always being the right path" but this is not an experiment to try out and possibly fail in doing. If this is the result it is both cruel and inhumane to the animal and irresponsible to the living world of beings with consciousness.

His goals are all wrong if he considers ownership of this dog a substitute for a SO. Because he enters into this relationship looking to "get" rather than to "give". This would be the same recipe for failure that he'd encounter in dealing with mating relationships in the human realm too.

I am not trying to be a downer but undertaking responsibility for any pet is not to be taken lightly. And frankly, all of what I posted was already considered and addressed if the decision process was properly vetted. The situation is not dissimilar to kids - whatever one might think is involved, double that. Because there is always more involved than anyone wants to face up to. Good luck.

I agree to a point!

That point being that we have ZERO idea about Kirk's son, about who he is and how he handles things. I will not question something/nor someone who have never even met. I fully trust that his farther knows him better than he does.

All that being said, it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Either way, I wish you, your son, and his new pet all the best! BTW: It looks to be a beautiful breed of dog!
Old 12-01-2015, 07:23 AM

Does he live in a house with a securely fenced yard?
If he lives in an apartment, he is out of his mind.

My daughter is 21 yr old. Between attending classes, studying, interviews for internships, a part time job, minimal social life and coming home once or twice a semester for holidays, she has zero time for a dog. Her and her roommates struggle with a hamster. (serious, I like the hamster)

You mention the next 3 years. The point of the dog is the next 10+ years.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:31 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
That point being that we have ZERO idea about Kirk's son, about who he is and how he handles things. I will not question something/nor someone who have never even met. I fully trust that his farther knows him better than he does.
This is a erroneous tack to undergo in this conversation. I took this as implied in your post in personalizing the discussion as pitting my assessment as a veiled disparagement to the OP's son. If this is the implication of your response quoted here, you could not possibly be more incorrect.

You took a cheap shot in attempting to create drawn lines for discussion participants to stand with, with you of course, standing with the OP against my comments. Comments which you try to spin as insult.

Discuss the topic if you wish. Take criticism of what I opined, if you wish. Don't try to turn the conversation to be about some invented insult to turn the conversation to be about something personal between me and the OP. Bush league cheap shot.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
doesn't want a girl in his life right now...
haha!

that sounds perfect, until that cute blond girl sits next to him in the lecture hall, flicks her hair back and catches his glance with her big blue eyes, asking to borrow a pencil.

it happens that fast. every rational neuron in his brain will be immediately rendered helpless.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Windrider

As long as we are posting big dog pics. Ember. English Mastiff. 150 lbs.

Breeds have different dispositions. We've had Newfies, Kuvasz, Great Danes, Dobies & now a Mastiff. Big dogs just require more training, socialization and attention..... most owners aren't willing to do the work IME.

Len
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ember-8702.jpg (67.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Ember-8666.jpg (89.1 KB, 98 views)

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J View Post
Big dogs just require more training, socialization and attention.....

Len
And space, of course.

Beautiful dog. I love the giant breeds (well, basically all dogs!) and when I'm older/if I have sufficient room, I would love to raise one.

For me right now though, it's waiting to move to an apartment that allows dogs and browsing the local adoption centers for dogs that would be comfortable in an urban setting.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Owners aside I think the breed does matter even if it's only perception, and I don't think it is, if enough people believe it it essentially becomes truth.

These dogs like the serial killer next door were always friendly until the day they weren't.

I'm not saying you shouldn't own them but if you choose to own a breed known to be aggressive you need to be more considerate of the environment you and the dog will live.

Here are some numbers can't vouch for accuracy

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-stati...likely-to-kill

I'm a life long dog owner, mostly pound mutts and labs.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Owners aside I think the breed does matter even if it's only perception, and I don't think it is, if enough people believe it it essentially becomes truth.

These dogs like the serial killer next door were always friendly until the day they weren't.

I'm not saying you shouldn't own them but if you choose to own a breed known to be aggressive you need to be more considerate of the environment you and the dog will live.

Here are some numbers can't vouch for accuracy

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-stati...likely-to-kill

I'm a life long dog owner, mostly pound mutts and labs.
Just as there are those statistics, so too is there this study pointing out that there is no scientific basis for legislating against many breeds of dog commonly believed to be "dangerous." The study was used as the basis for reversing breed-specific legislation in Germany. Regrettably we can't see the whole article without paying or subscribing but the abstract is telling.

http://www.journalvetbehavior.com/ar...264-X/abstract

As you said, much of today's bias against historically-feared breeds lies in perception. Perception does, of course, lead to people who want to train fighting dogs or guard dogs for their meth labs buying the breeds people consider "dangerous," so those statistics you posted can be true even if there is nothing innate to the dogs to make them dangerous.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Another thing to consider is that bigger dogs have bigger vet bills. Not that it should be a detriment, just consider it when weighing the pros and cons.

William
Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
haha!

that sounds perfect, until that cute blond girl sits next to him in the lecture hall, flicks her hair back and catches his glance with her big blue eyes, asking to borrow a pencil.

it happens that fast. every rational neuron in his brain will be immediately rendered helpless.

True, but for me it was a blue eyed red head walking across the quad. She liked my dog so it was all good.

William
Old 12-01-2015, 10:06 AM

I know this story from my daughter's lacrosse club. Every October, there is a tournament in the memory of Diane Whipple at Port Washington on Long Island. Diane was a college all-american at Penn State and member of Team USA. She was killed by a pair of Presa Canarios named Bane and Hera. The story became the basis of a Law&Order episode. The real story is even more disturbing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

The case took many years to wind through the courts and set several precedents. Honestly, I cannot understand what these lawyers were thinking.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 12-01-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I know this story from my daughter's lacrosse club. Every October, there is a tournament in the memory of Diane Whipple at Port Washington on Long Island. Diane was a college all-american at Penn State and member of Team USA. She was killed by a pair of Presa Canarios named Bane and Hera. The story became the basis of a Law&Order episode. The real story is even more disturbing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple
what a terrible story.

Last edited by AngryScientist; 12-01-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Must be winter - 5 pages is much more discussion than I've ever generated with a post about a bike. Again, thanks for all of the thoughts, it does help to check whether there are factors that haven't been considered or need further reflection. I don't think we've missed any but all of these will be revisited before a final decision. This really isn't the place to try and vet whether a particular circumstance warrants this dog or any dog, but the concerns and points raised all ring true as important matters. And the input from those who have owned big breeds is particularly helpful.

Grazie.

The whole concept of keeping any animal as a pet opens up all sorts of interesting questions re ethics, motivations, fairness and truly is a decision not to be taken lightly. That could be a whole 'nother thread.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Just as there are those statistics, so too is there this study pointing out that there is no scientific basis for legislating against many breeds of dog commonly believed to be "dangerous." The study was used as the basis for reversing breed-specific legislation in Germany. Regrettably we can't see the whole article without paying or subscribing but the abstract is telling.

http://www.journalvetbehavior.com/ar...264-X/abstract

As you said, much of today's bias against historically-feared breeds lies in perception. Perception does, of course, lead to people who want to train fighting dogs or guard dogs for their meth labs buying the breeds people consider "dangerous," so those statistics you posted can be true even if there is nothing innate to the dogs to make them dangerous.
I can give you anecdotal information from 15 years in a busy ER. Dog bites I saw that were simple, leave alone or simple wash out and close loosely were almost always small dogs often biting toddlers that startled them and frequently in the face. Wide range of breeds with tears biting a kid or adult running from them usually on the posterior thigh or buttocks.
Mauling where someone was clearly taken down and had significant injury were almost always pits or pit mixes with the occasional rotweiler.

This still doesn't answer the question if it's the breed, breeder or owner and in reality it doesn't matter the perception is there with on the more devastating end of things maybe statistical support. To me and me only in an urban setting it makes no sense to own these dogs there are many others to choose from the local human society is full.

As an aside I had a friend that raised and sheltered select pit bulls, they lived in the country with land and a fenced yard. I don't think they ever had a problem with a single dog.
Closed Thread