Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 01:15 PM
#bottlestorage

I agree with all the lifestyle comments, traveling etc. I also agree with the training aspects as well as the socialization, although that is true with any dog.

I would add that a big dog like a Corso, for good or bad, can scare the snot out of people and cause them to act erratic around the animal. That sometimes creates a situation. As much as I have enjoyed larger dogs, there is something to be said for a dog which you can easily take in public, car rides, house with friends, relocate to new apartment/house etc.

Either way, I have known people with these, and other big dogs, and it can be done and done well, but it requires a great deal more effort. Only he can decide if that effort is worthwhile.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:36 PM

Get a female Newfie if you want large breed, the best! Our Newfie "Ursa" as a pup and grown. Golden doodle is baby brother and a great personality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ursa7.23.05.jpg (142.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Seamus & Ursa1.JPG (81.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-30-2015, 06:34 PM

I read this book. It gives a wonderful description of the breed which will help you decide if this breed is right for you. There is a good chance I'll have another one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by SteveFrench; 11-30-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:50 PM

Since the emasculation of the American man is well under way, I guess I need to concede that most of us are only fit to raise Yorkipoos and breeds of their ilk.

The breeds of significance need to be added to the endangered species list. Apparently we are not fit to commingle with them.

Last edited by mg2ride; 11-30-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Because the smiley face means I love you guys!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
Since the emasculation of the American man is well under way
Oh please. My truck is proof enough that I'm a tough guy:

Old 11-30-2015, 10:23 PM

I've met one, once. It belonged to one of the groomers that worked at the breeder where we got my dog. It was a beautiful dog with a pleasant disposition. That, and the fact that it didn't decide my dog was a Scoobie Snack, suggest to me that it can be a loving companion.

But really, this is just an excuse to post a picture of my dog.

Mine is the little'un.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulasaab View Post
Mine is the little'un.
Very cute. My parents have two schnauzers (not full-sized). Very spirited and smart dogs. (I assume that's what yours is, but I'm not 100% sure.)
Old 11-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulasaab View Post
I've met one, once. It belonged to one of the groomers that worked at the breeder where we got my dog. It was a beautiful dog with a pleasant disposition. That, and the fact that it didn't decide my dog was a Scoobie Snack, suggest to me that it can be a loving companion.

But really, this is just an excuse to post a picture of my dog.

Mine is the little'un.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canarydog.htm

Are you sure it's not a Presa Canario? I have 2 friends that own them. Similar to the Cane Corso...
Old 11-30-2015, 11:23 PM

For over ten years we have been doing a very casual Doggy Day care for friends and friends of friends. I have easily had 50 different dogs living amongst my family, my dogs and my cats.

HANDS DOWN the most problematic 2 have always been:

Cheppe(sp) - The smallish shepherd in the middle - Completely overly playful and over protective of women. My dog (Mutt on left) has a permanent scar on his for head from him.

Poppy - The wheaten Terrier/Standard Poodle mix - The ALL TIME smartest, most athletic and biggest PAIN in the A$$! When it comes to other dogs he knows no boundaries and simply can't be left alone with many dogs for very long.
[/url]

HANDS DOWN the 2 most docile have always been:

Lily - Pit rescue - You could do anything to her and she would not resist.

Enzo - Massive Pit - He has never shown any aggression to anything including my cats even though his family has never owned a cat. This dog is a Fn Rock!

ATMO, the breed don't mean Jack Crap. The 2 pits were raised to be docile by an FBI agent and a X seal. The shepherd and the Wheatypoo were raised by women. Go figure!

Last edited by mg2ride; 11-30-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I do agree that my mother has little control over her dogs and has proven herself over and over to be incapable of providing any meaningful degree of discipline.

(edit - but they're still wonderful, friendly dogs)
Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 AM
formerly Landshark_98

I appreciate the feedback and discussion. Ian's decision will be well informed and considered. For those interested in the breed here is a link to the breeder that the male comes out of: www.old world canecorso.com. the mom comes from a breeder/trainer who specializes in training "difficult" dogs.

While I wouldn't take this path, if he does the dog will be extensively socialized and trained. And he's not your stereotypic 23 year old - completely focused on school for the next three years, doesn't hit the bars, doesn't want a girl in his life right now; a dog will be his SO. I agree there would be easier dogs, but sometimes easy isn't the right path.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:25 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
completely focused on school for the next three years
My college experience must have been way different from his - there's no way in the world that I would have had the time to take care of a pet properly (dog or cat) when I was in college.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canarydog.htm

Are you sure it's not a Presa Canario? I have 2 friends that own them. Similar to the Cane Corso...
Oops... Now that you mention it. Sorry. My mistake. It was more than 4 years ago, so my brain latched onto the semi-similar name and wouldn't let go.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Very cute. My parents have two schnauzers (not full-sized). Very spirited and smart dogs. (I assume that's what yours is, but I'm not 100% sure.)
Got it in one! Yes, Miniature Schnauzer. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:11 AM
It An't Me Babe

Responsibility obligated to a 23 year old? And a college student by occupation to boot? And to make the trifecta, a large, powerful animal that requires a constant, unwavering and steadfast master to toe the line properly for both itself and its relationship to humans and other pets.

With all respect, I am not sure this was well thought out. And I understand the remark about "easy not always being the right path" but this is not an experiment to try out and possibly fail in doing. If this is the result it is both cruel and inhumane to the animal and irresponsible to the living world of beings with consciousness.

His goals are all wrong if he considers ownership of this dog a substitute for a SO. Because he enters into this relationship looking to "get" rather than to "give". This would be the same recipe for failure that he'd encounter in dealing with mating relationships in the human realm too.

I am not trying to be a downer but undertaking responsibility for any pet is not to be taken lightly. And frankly, all of what I posted was already considered and addressed if the decision process was properly vetted. The situation is not dissimilar to kids - whatever one might think is involved, double that. Because there is always more involved than anyone wants to face up to. Good luck.
Closed Thread