Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:19 PM

Never have and never will understand the appeal of these 'types' of dogs.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Never have and never will understand the appeal of these 'types' of dogs.
By "types" do you mean dogs that scare "you"?

Never have and never will understand the fear of these "types" of dogs.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
By "types" do you mean dogs that scare "you"
Do you have any reason to believe that azrider is afraid of dogs, or are you always so aggressive with your posts?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:53 PM

Different people like different types of dogs. It's not complicated. A responsible owner who knows the nuances of their chosen breed will more often than not result in a animal that is a credit to that breed. After my wonderful presa canario passed away I adopted two pitbulls that are very well behaved and good dogs. Dogs make life more rich!
The darker dog is West, my soul buddy who passed away 2 years ago. I still tear up seeing pictures of him. The other is my current buddy, Artie. He's quite a good dude. Ellie, Artie's cuddle buddy and "sister" I can't seem to find a picture of right now.

Last edited by earlfoss; 11-29-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:39 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
One other thought about bigger dogs...we have a chocolate lab who's the sweetest dog ever...she's about 70-80 pounds...and almost 12 years old. Climbing stairs is getting very hard for her, but carrying her upstairs to be with her 'pack' at night isn't doable. Granted, it's an issue for down the road but once bigger dogs get older, caring for them, even having them with everyone else, can be a challenge. Just a thought. Smaller dogs (or at least lighter ones) can be easier to care for as time goes on.
first thing to know: big dogs have big poops.

We had a female malamute (100#'s) and with her double coat and unreal neck leg strength that was big enough for me. I trained her to run leashed alongside me while I rode my old mtb, yet once she literally STOPPED and I helicoptered horizontally about 3 feet off the concrete for what seemed like 10 yards. Luckily was wearing a helmet.

As hse got older I built a plywood ramp so she could walk into the back of my pickup. Otherwise I practice doing my dead lift squats and lift her.

when she was gone it seemed like we were missing a person in the house.

having a dog is a big responsibility no matter the age of the owner. if you cannot commit the time to training and exercise, the results won't be nice.

we now have a 75# white german shepard, who seems to me almost dainty in comparison.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
first thing to know: big dogs have big poops.

We had a female malamute (100#'s) and with her double coat and unreal neck leg strength that was big enough for me. I trained her to run leashed alongside me while I rode my old mtb, yet once she literally STOPPED and I helicoptered horizontally about 3 feet off the concrete for what seemed like 10 yards. Luckily was wearing a helmet.

As hse got older I built a plywood ramp so she could walk into the back of my pickup. Otherwise I practice doing my dead lift squats and lift her.

when she was gone it seemed like we were missing a person in the house.

having a dog is a big responsibility no matter the age of the owner. if you cannot commit the time to training and exercise, the results won't be nice.

we now have a 75# white german shepard, who seems to me almost dainty in comparison.
My daughter helps our neighbor walk her Malamute and Samoyed, that way our neighbor can also push her 2 yr old in the stroller (when her husband works late). Afterwards, I'll ask if Coco pooped she says yes, "they're always so big!"

The Malamute is just the sweetest dog. I'm not even a dog person, but this dog is gorgeous.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 93legendti; 11-29-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:

Never have and never will understand the fear of these "types" of dogs.
You will never understand that an animal with the power and weight to toss ppl around that is often used and trained to be guard or fightdogs because of their carateristics could potentially scare ppl more than a smaller dog with less power and weight ? Really ?
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Ha. If that makes you feel better pal, then please, label away.

I love it when dog conversations pop up and 'some' people get so butt hurt that someone has a different opinion than they do.

My statement stands. I personally don't understand why anyone would opt for a dog that routinely makes headlines for causing SERIOUS harm from power of their bite, or turn on their owners, or attack/kill kids, and aren't even insurable by some insurance companies. Even when I write it out it seems laughable to me.

But hey........different strokes
Old 11-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
You will never understand that an animal with the power and weight to toss ppl around that is often used and trained to be guard or fightdogs because of their carateristics could potentially scare ppl more than a smaller dog with less power and weight ? Really ?
I assume you are now talking about Shepherds, Huskies and Retrievers?

All the above meet that description.

Dogs are almost NEVER the problem. The people that own them and treat them like kids are ALWAYS the problem.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Do you have any reason to believe that azrider is afraid of dogs, or are you always so aggressive with your posts?
Yes and maybe I'm part pit-bull and have no control of my inbreed aggression.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Kind of OK

JFC folks, has no one seen this: Domesticated fox experiment If you can push a species toward docility through selective breeding, do you really think the opposite couldn't be true?

Our last dog was a pit/lab mix, and she was a sweetheart. However, I would not have another. The amount of hassle we went through with our insurance company was a true PITA.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
I assume you are now talking about Shepherds, Huskies and Retrievers?

All the above meet that description.

Dogs are almost NEVER the problem. The people that own them and treat them like kids are ALWAYS the problem.
From what I understand, the Cane Corso is considered a giant dog breed, where as the ones you mention are large dog breeds. I understand the temperament of the CC is quite different. ymmv.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Yes, you can breed for docility and hostility.

What bothers me about the large guard dog breeds is when I read breeders brag that they are intentionally breeding for "strong guard and bite instinct." I realize that's what law enforcement and guard services may want.

Because I have always thought the CC's are beautiful dogs, based on this discussion, I visited a couple of the breeder sites and read just these types of claims.

On the other hand, my neighbor has a handsome 9 month old Doby that specifically came from a "family and neighbor friendly" strain.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Yes, you can breed for docility and hostility.

What bothers me about the large guard dog breeds is when I read breeders brag that they are intentionally breeding for "strong guard and bite instinct." I realize that's what law enforcement and guard services may want.

Because I have always thought the CC's are beautiful dogs, based on this discussion, I visited a couple of the breeder sites and read just these types of claims.

On the other hand, my neighbor has a handsome 9 month old Doby that specifically came from a "family and neighbor friendly" strain.
Where is comes from is a million times more important than what breed it is.

Interesting analysis that I can agree with 100%.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Where is comes from is a million times more important than what breed it is.

Interesting analysis that I can agree with 100%.
If a chihuahua gets territorial, it is an annoyance. With one of the powerful breeds, it is a totally different matter.

If you ever get to the British Museum, go check out the Molossian Hound. It is a 1 meter high (Life Size) marble sculpture of a Roman dog which is the foundation breed for the mastiffs. It is a very cool and beautiful sculpture. I think of it as the uber-dog.

These dogs were essentially bred for war, guarding and hunting boar none of which are particularly needed in a modern city. When some idiot wants to keep one in a small apartment, it is an accident waiting to happen.
Closed Thread