Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM

The Hilversum jersey is very nice. I bought an orange one one during an earlier 20 percent off sale.

FWIW, I found the fit to be just about identical to a Rapha Classic Jersey.
I'm 5'10" 195 pounds and I take an XL in both.

I'll note that the shade of orange is a bit more "Creamsicle" than "Denver Broncos." (i.e. a little less saturated than the pics might suggest.) I like it a lot, but I also wear a pink Rapha, so YMMV.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
Sold it because I'm not a fan of club cuts.
Yes, I agree. Nuthin' says MAMIL like a club cut jersey, either to hide what cannot be hidden or to create loose folds of lipo-suction-like excess material of a jersey worn post-procedure.

I bought a Vanilla emblazoned jersey made by Castelli because I own a Vanilla and wanted a jersey and there were none to be found except for Vanilla ordering this special run of jerseys. Freakin' club cut! Whatta waste of money on a lousy fitting jersey hidin' a gut I don't have.

Bad fitting clothes are a waste of money.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

At 5'10" and 235lbs, I, sadly, prefer the club fit....
Old 11-25-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC! Stratton View Post
Also trying to confirm I'm a size S. I am in everything bike clothes wise except one high end giordana jersey I used to own so it seems like a safe bet.
I wear a small in just about every brand as well and the XS size jersey fit perfect.i do use their bibshorts in a size small though.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Freakin' club cut! Whatta waste of money on a lousy fitting jersey hidin' a gut I don't have.

Bad fitting clothes are a waste of money.
Fuzzalow, I like your stealth-brag style.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
If no one can help you on this site, their website says call them for sizing info.
From Jonathan, one of the founders:

On the website, you'll see a comment about the Hilversum running a bit roomy. This is true - but only of our second production round of them. The first round was cut much tighter and successive rounds will be tighter.

I wear a medium in the first round Hilversum and it's not a super tight fit but it's tight. I'm 5'11 with a 40" chest and weight 170.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 AM

Hi all -

This is Jonathan from Road Holland. I don't mean to be a stalker here but feel free to call me at 561-463-0942 if you do have sizing questions.

Also, the comment about no returns on sale merchandise is wrong. We have removed it. You are always welcome to make a return per our normal return policy.

Thanks and hope everyone had a good holiday with some good riding.

Jonathan
Old 11-27-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Hi all -

This is Jonathan from Road Holland. I don't mean to be a stalker here but feel free to call me at 561-463-0942 if you do have sizing questions.

Also, the comment about no returns on sale merchandise is wrong. We have removed it. You are always welcome to make a return per our normal return policy.

Thanks and hope everyone had a good holiday with some good riding.

Jonathan
One of the cool things about patronizing a retailer like Road Holland is that you can ask a pedestrian question about sizing (as I did during a previous sale) and have a response from one of the bosses pop up in your e-mail a couple minutes later. Now he's giving out his phone number. What's next? Fresh scones and complimentary dog walking?

But seriously, it turns out that Jonathan's suggestion about the Hilversum sizing was right on.
There was much talk about sizing down in comments and forum posts, but in the current production run, mine fits just like a Rapha Classic, which IMHO is just right.
The Hilversum jersey is a bargain at 20 percent off, but a steal at 30% ($59 and some silver.)

My only mistake was not buying the Black Hilversum (now sold out in my size) in October, and waiting to buy the Orange on Black Friday.

Which means that Orange is the New Black. Or is it the other way around?

Last edited by Avincent52; 11-27-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:46 AM

Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM

thanks
Old 11-27-2015, 11:42 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Fuzzalow, I like your stealth-brag style.
No brag intended. Mere statement of fact the goes not to my own gut, or lack thereof, but to the inconsistency of sizing and labeling by cycle clothing manufacturers as to the available cut of a their garments.

Call it correctly as far as "club cut" and I'll have no issues with not buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
From Jonathan, one of the founders:

On the website, you'll see a comment about the Hilversum running a bit roomy. This is true - but only of our second production round of them. The first round was cut much tighter and successive rounds will be tighter.

I wear a medium in the first round Hilversum and it's not a super tight fit but it's tight. I'm 5'11 with a 40" chest and weight 170.
Case in point, as illustrated above. Changing the cut from round 1 to round 2 is not something a customer should need to keep track of.

"Who's on first, what's on second, I don't knows on third..."
Old 11-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
...but to the inconsistency of sizing and labeling by cycle clothing manufacturers as to the available cut of a their garments.
From where we sit, it's lunacy. I deal with all the sizing questions that come through and I can say, with no uncertainty, that the way brands in the cycling sector (and most other areas for that matter) size kit is completely bonkers; there is no such thing as a standard or consistency at any level.

It's the main reason we base our sizing on actual, or 'formal', measurements and gave up long ago on the generic S, M, L schtick. A 40" chest is just that, a 40" chest. No guess work involved and we can tell you exactly how a jersey will fit based on that (and some other measurements depending on the rider's proportions).

Instagram
Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevenvelo View Post
It's the main reason we base our sizing on actual, or 'formal', measurements and gave up long ago on the generic S, M, L schtick. A 40" chest is just that, a 40" chest. No guess work involved and we can tell you exactly how a jersey will fit based on that (and some other measurements depending on the rider's proportions).
^This. I always look for the part of a Company's webpage that lists the measurements in actual NUMBERS. Of course this assumes that their measurements are correct, but at least with Eleven you can be sure it will be because those measurements are being used to make your garment.

In Road Holland, in my experience, size down a size from your rapha classic size, and size down 2 sizes from your rapha PRO TEAM uber tight size. I am not built like Fuzzalow and prefer to hide my gut.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevenvelo View Post
From where we sit, it's lunacy. I deal with all the sizing questions that come through and I can say, with no uncertainty, that the way brands in the cycling sector (and most other areas for that matter) size kit is completely bonkers; there is no such thing as a standard or consistency at any level.
I totally agree with Gerard. I was measuring my existing jerseys for the sizing on my Eleven long sleeve jersey--nice job, G, thanks very much--and jerseys that were ostensibly the same size were off 4-6 inches in some measurements.

What makes the least sense of all: Companies aren't even consistent within their own lines. A Rapha classic jersey runs about a half size bigger than their Club jersey.
I can understand if a company does "race" and "club" fit, but both of these were non-race jerseys and yet the sizes ran quite different.

Quote:
In Road Holland, in my experience, size down a size from your rapha classic size, and size down 2 sizes from your rapha PRO TEAM uber tight size. I am not built like Fuzzalow and prefer to hide my gut.
Drup. Interesting, and I remember reading posts like yours about Road Holland sizing running large. I ultimately sent off an email and Jonathan convinced me to go with the same size as Rapha.
So as a data point, in a current (late 2015) Road Holland Hilversum is the same size as a current (late 2015) Rapha Classic, at least in XL. YMMV.

Last edited by Avincent52; 12-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Looks like the 30% OFF Sale is back for the rest of the year! Didn't get what you wanted under the tree? Here's your chance. I'm eyeing their new cycling caps.

www.RoadHolland.com