Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 PM
cnighbor2

tiny house

Buy a used 8' x 8' container Pour a concrete slab
Than put container up in the air about 14' on four steel columns located at four corners
add shed roofs to all four sides
Enclose for sides with sliding doors, windows walls
and you have a nice tiny house
The architect
Charles
Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Another lure of tiny or smaller houses is smaller or no mortgages. Living in a very expensive housing market, the lure of being mortgage free is strong indeed.
Unfortunately, with expensive housing markets getting the $$$ to pay cash for the land is a bit of a stretch. Banks hate it when you want to build a 150k house on a 300k+ piece of land.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:17 PM

Why not just buy an Airstream or proper camp trailer? Aesthetics aside, they're likely lighter and far better designed than what random would-be architects come up with.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I don't think Airstream makes toy-haulers.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:54 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Unfortunately, with expensive housing markets getting the $$$ to pay cash for the land is a bit of a stretch. Banks hate it when you want to build a 150k house on a 300k+ piece of land.
You hit the nail on the head. Land is a challenge. There are many ways to build a small, smart, sustainable house for very reasonable dollars. Finding affordable land where you'd like to live.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
These two things just don't go together...

c'mon man. for the same price, you get waaaaay more house in sunnyvale!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Land is a challenge. There are many ways to build a small, smart, sustainable house for very reasonable dollars. Finding affordable land where you'd like to live.
yup...the tiniest lots around here are outrageous, and then the bulldozer comes.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube View Post
I have spent the last few years studying small homes. The size needed is really different for each person or family. I would recommend that anyone truly interested in small living study small Japanese architecture. You will find some very well thought out homes that utilize space to the max. There are many good blog sites and some great books that have been written on the subject. Many showcase the craftsmanship of very talented wood workers. Almost a piece of art as well as a home. A well designed home doesn't need to be large to be comfortable.
What specific books or blogs do you recommend? I would be very interested to see how the Japanese approach limited space.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 12-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
My mom is very much into their writings on the topic...

http://www.theminimalists.com

William
Thanks for the link.

Actually, thank you to everyone sharing links.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 12-01-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yikes..assuming your are a Buddhist monk? My appreciation of the huge diversity of this forum just went up another notch.
Yes, I am. I briefly talked about it in this thread, because my Buddhist practice was/is connected to the bike that is the subject of that thread.

Also shown in that thread, the centerpiece of my tattoos commemorates the day I was ordained.

And, so as not to be accused(!) of injecting religion into this housing thread, the Theravada lineage of Buddhism I practice does not consider itself a "religion" . . . nor do I. It traces back to the original texts and teachings, in which Shakyamuni himself clearly refuted any talk of any deities (including, and especially, himself), and shared (taught) a philosophy and way of (looking at) life, not a religion.

But, in the Western world, Buddhism is lumped in, and clearly thought of by the vast majority, as a religion. An interested side note resulting from that: In the U.S.A., according to some sources, in 48 of the 50 states, Judaism is the second most practiced religion (after Christianity, which is first in all 50 states). In 2 states, Buddhism is the second most practiced religion . . . in Hawaii and Oregon. Again, according to some sources (clearly it is the 2nd most practiced in Hawaii, the call in Oregon is a bit murkier, due to underreporting, etc.).

While, due to family circumstances that have befallen us over the past ~21 months, I have not been able to return to Thailand in that time, I largely practice solo and at a Wat (Thai Buddhist Temple) located just outside Salem, Oregon. That Wat is home to resident Thai monks, and serves a surprisingly large Thai community in the region. My incredibly understanding and supportive wife, just last month, told me that she thinks it is time for me to start planning another 2-3 month stay in Thailand. For me, that is the equivalent of your spouse telling you that you can have as many bikes as you can dream of, inside the house, all at once (ironically, a concept that my wife can't quite embrace, although she is tolerant of our bikes).

Hopefully I didn't stray too far with the above thoughts...
Old 12-01-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
c'mon man. for the same price, you get waaaaay more house in sunnyvale!
I wouldn't know...apartment dweller here.
Seven figures in the 1000 sq ft range where I am!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 PM

Actually, I have always wanted to erect a large wall tent on a wooden platform by my pool, run an extension cord out and call it home for the fall and spring in AZ.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
...the Theravada lineage of Buddhism I practice does not consider itself a "religion" . . . nor do I. It traces back to the original texts and teachings, in which Shakyamuni himself clearly refuted any talk of any deities (including, and especially, himself), and shared (taught) a philosophy and way of (looking at) life, not a religion.
A couple of comments, with due respect: The 'true Dharma eye...the true form of the formless...' as originally transmitted to Mahakashyapa is also completely in keeping with lineages in the Mahayana tradition and certainly not solely the domain of the Theravada lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
But, in the Western world, Buddhism is lumped in, and clearly thought of by the vast majority, as a religion.
I think that the only people who view Buddhism as a 'religion' in the West are those who either don't practice Buddhism, or are otherwise poorly-informed. My own experience has been that since coming to the West in the early 20th century or earlier, Buddhist monastic (and lay) practice has been squarely focused on 'transmission beyond words and scriptures'.

Last edited by OtayBW; 12-01-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
I wouldn't know...apartment dweller here.
Seven figures in the 1000 sq ft range where I am!
it takes about $2.5 to get what most here would consider an entry place.

sickening to me.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
What specific books or blogs do you recommend? I would be very interested to see how the Japanese approach limited space.

This is a great starting point

Modern Japanese House

On Line just google there is a lot of stuff out there.

http://www.busyboo.com/tag/japanese-architecture/

http://www.dezeen.com/tag/japan/