Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 05:43 PM

Any experience with, or feedback on, the Calfee Adventure line?

Maybe it's the time of year but I'm questioning my current "stable" (2 bikes...both Strada Biancas...one Ti; one Steel). Currently, my interest has been piqued by the Calfee Adventure line...thinking discs, maybe Di2, maybe 650B...

Just wondering if anyone has one or has had some time on one. I'm looking for overall impressions, ride quality on the road vs trail, in short, any feedback or impressions.

Cheers
Jay
Old 11-30-2015, 06:37 PM

Better post the build sheets on your Hampstens
Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Better post the build sheets on your Hampstens
I suspect the dimensions would be close to yours...
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 PM

I guess I might be uniquely qualified to answer your question as I have both a Hampsten SB ti and a Calfee Adventure Tetra Pro. I spend a few months of the winter in the Texas Hill country and rode them both for a total of about 3500 miles. FWIW, I also have a 700C Tetra Pro.

My Adventure has 650b wheels and disc brakes with TRP Hy/Rd's. I'm running a Shimano 10 speed group on it with a Sugino 901D crankset and BB. I'm using Compass Babyshoe Pass 42mm tires mounted on Velocity A23 rims.

Here's a picture:

OK, with that lengthy intro out of the way, now to answer your other questions. Firstly, I've never ridden it on the trail nor even on gravel that much so I can't really comment on that although my guess is that it'd be great. What I can say is that on Texas chip seal the ride is about as good as it gets. Those 42mm 650b tires do an excellent job of smoothing out the ride and roll pretty well. The overall ride? Well, it's a Calfee which to anyone who's ever ridden one is about as positive a statement as can be made about the bike: excellent, predictable handling, smooth ride, great all day comfort and responsive when you stomp on the pedals. No, it's not a crit bike nor would I say it's anywhere near a bike you'd go racing on but if your plan is long rides on sketchy pavement I don't think you can go wrong.

I conducted a number of "calibrated idiot" tests where I supplied the idiot in which I rode the Calfee and the Hampsten on the same route under very similar conditions. The route was just under 50 miles and I rode as hard as I could for that distance on both bikes. On average I'd say the Hampsten was about .5 MPH faster than the Adventure and I put most if not all of this down to the larger tires (I had 27mm Vittoria Paves on the Hampsten). I think for even moderately decent roads that 38mm tires are the sweet spot for 650b's - big enough to provide pneumatic shock absorption but lower rolling resistance.

And just for the heck of it, here's a shot of my Hampsten. Note that in the picture it's sporting 32mm Compass Gran Bois 700C tires.

I've done 200K brevets on the Calfee and brevets of all lengths up to 1500K on the Hampsten. The only reason I've chosen the Hampsten for brevet work is I've outfitted it with the necessary add-ons such as a dynamo hub, bags, etc., needed to do long distance self supported rides. Having said that, a friend of mine did the TCR on a Calfee Adventure so I think it just might be up to the task as well

Fire away with any questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:18 PM

Any experience with, or feedback on, the Calfee Adventure line?

Whoa, now that's an answer!.. Love this forum.

Thanks for sharing photos, too -- really nice looking, tastefully / purposefully configured bikes!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlboto View Post
...thinking discs, maybe Di2, maybe 650B...
come to your senses Jay!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
I guess I might be uniquely qualified to answer your question as I have both a Hampsten SB ti and a Calfee Adventure Tetra Pro. I spend a few months of the winter in the Texas Hill country and rode them both for a total of about 3500 miles. FWIW, I also have a 700C Tetra Pro.

My Adventure has 650b wheels and disc brakes with TRP Hy/Rd's. I'm running a Shimano 10 speed group on it with a Sugino 901D crankset and BB. I'm using Compass Babyshoe Pass 42mm tires mounted on Velocity A23 rims.

Here's a picture:

OK, with that lengthy intro out of the way, now to answer your other questions. Firstly, I've never ridden it on the trail nor even on gravel that much so I can't really comment on that although my guess is that it'd be great. What I can say is that on Texas chip seal the ride is about as good as it gets. Those 42mm 650b tires do an excellent job of smoothing out the ride and roll pretty well. The overall ride? Well, it's a Calfee which to anyone who's ever ridden one is about as positive a statement as can be made about the bike: excellent, predictable handling, smooth ride, great all day comfort and responsive when you stomp on the pedals. No, it's not a crit bike nor would I say it's anywhere near a bike you'd go racing on but if your plan is long rides on sketchy pavement I don't think you can go wrong.

I conducted a number of "calibrated idiot" tests where I supplied the idiot in which I rode the Calfee and the Hampsten on the same route under very similar conditions. The route was just under 50 miles and I rode as hard as I could for that distance on both bikes. On average I'd say the Hampsten was about .5 MPH faster than the Adventure and I put most if not all of this down to the larger tires (I had 27mm Vittoria Paves on the Hampsten). I think for even moderately decent roads that 38mm tires are the sweet spot for 650b's - big enough to provide pneumatic shock absorption but lower rolling resistance.

And just for the heck of it, here's a shot of my Hampsten. Note that in the picture it's sporting 32mm Compass Gran Bois 700C tires.

I've done 200K brevets on the Calfee and brevets of all lengths up to 1500K on the Hampsten. The only reason I've chosen the Hampsten for brevet work is I've outfitted it with the necessary add-ons such as a dynamo hub, bags, etc., needed to do long distance self supported rides. Having said that, a friend of mine did the TCR on a Calfee Adventure so I think it just might be up to the task as well

Fire away with any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

That is an answer!!!!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 AM

okay, yet another reason to love this place. That was a stellar answer, thank you Mr. gone... I have to compose a list of questions for you and the fact that you have a SB to compare just adds an extra layer of awesome to this inquiry.

Honestly, I'm not sure about going down this path but a few threads over on the VSalon have me thinking...
Old 12-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
come to your senses Jay!
easier said than done, Nick.
My senses are questioning why I have two bikes (albeit, awesome) that are the same when one could be a little more Adventure-y in nature (or a more extreme SB...)
Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlboto View Post
easier said than done, Nick.
My senses are questioning why I have two bikes (albeit, awesome) that are the same when one could be a little more Adventure-y in nature (or a more extreme SB...)
Bicycle Quarterly just put up a sample article that happens to be about... a Calfee Adventure!

This isn't the reader version, but rather the pdf version.

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/BQ_bike_test.pdf
Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 PM

i've got nothing to add other than i enjoyed mr. gone's answer.

what are the odds of someone having exactly the rare bike combo of the question asked?

pretty slim.

and mr. gone, those are some really nice bikes you have. enjoy.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:04 PM

Calfee Adventure

We've tested two Calfee adventures. Just put up a flip book with sample articles, which happens to include the amazing ride on the Calfee Adventure. Coincidentally, the second Adventure (700C) is shown in the "Skill" column in the same flip book.

Check it out at

http://www.bikequarterly.com/about_BQ.html

Enjoy!

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com
Old 12-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Jan,
Sorry to hear about your collision in Taiwan. Hope your feeling better and healing quickly!