Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 04:38 PM

Vittoria Tire Line--New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
That's the first I've seen of any of the new G+ models, but I am trying to find the Corsa Speed, which is the tubeless model.

FYI, it's not true tubeless. It's TLR, which, in the mtb world, requires sealant to hold air. I assume that's what it means here. From the tone of this thread, I got the impression that Vittoria came out with a true tubeless, flat free tire using graphene. Disappointing... So, what's so great about graphene?
Old 12-01-2015, 08:03 AM

Just got a set of vittoria Paves from Ribble, with their Black Friday deal they were too good to pass up at $33 a tire. That being said I will most likely be getting a pair of the new Corsa G+ for when the roads get nice next season. If anyone is getting a pair the best deal I have found is here at $61 a tire:

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittori...g+%2F+Clincher
Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM

Do they make the new Corsa's in all-black?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
So, what's so great about graphene?
Graphene is the new unobtainium. 100% pure, USDA-prime marketing.

Remember when turbochargers hit mass-market cars, and suddenly EVERYTHING was "Turbo"? You couldn't sell heaters to Eskimos without it being called "Turbo". There was a bike seat named "Turbo". Some of you may still be riding them. There was a men's fragrance, for Pete's sake, named "Turbo", remember?

Keep an eye out for graphene derailleur pulley bushings, graphene Garmin-mount screws, graphene embrocation... and keep a hand on your wallet.

Last edited by cachagua; 12-01-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
FYI, it's not true tubeless. It's TLR, which, in the mtb world, requires sealant to hold air. I assume that's what it means here. From the tone of this thread, I got the impression that Vittoria came out with a true tubeless, flat free tire using graphene. Disappointing... So, what's so great about graphene?
I assume there are cases where a tire/rim combo will hold air on its own, but that sealant was an assumed requirement for most cases. Not an issue for me, since I think the self-sealing benefit would be pretty cool.

Graphene is a pretty remarkable material. How it is actually applied in cycling equipment may be more marketing than substance, though. I suppose that is yet to be seen.

If Vittoria's work with graphene in their carbon wheels is to be trusted, it seems to offer some measurable benefits there (strength, weight, durability, etc.).
Old 12-01-2015, 06:26 PM

Graphene in tires

Interesting story behind graphene. It's real stuff. Maybe not ready for prime time quite yet. It looks like the stuff is powdered and mixed in? When they can figure out how to make big sheets of it and use it as a layer in the structure, now you're talking.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...erial-question
Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
So, you thought graphine = a tubeless puncture resistant tire? A patent on that would rake in the cash. But TLR is pretty damn close, with 2 oz. of sealant. I would bet we never see a flat resistant tire that rides well enough in our lifetime.

Last edited by Mikej; 12-02-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Administrator

have you guys seen the video? pretty compelling evidence with the tires running over the spikes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphz...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Definitely interested in grapheme, remembering the New Yorker article when it was fresh.

It had not crossed my mind that the wundermateriel would be used in tires.

(I'd imagined some bike frame made by a non-frame maker materials scientist who proved you could make a heavy, flexy but functional frame out of an expensive new material)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 AM

Graphene and Black Chili

Vittoria's Graphene tread rubber seems to be similar in concept to Continental's Black Chili compound. Carbon black (basically carbon soot particles) have long been used in rubber to improve its strength and durability, but it also adds hysteretic losses (which results in rolling resistance). Continental found that if they reduced the size of the carbon soot particles (they describe them as "nanometric carbon soot particles"), the strength and durability properties of the rubber remains, but the hysteric losses are greatly reduced. This is the basis of Continental's Black Chili tread material, which has shown in testing to have both strength/durability and low rolling resistance.

My guess is that Vittoria is using very small particles of graphene in their tread rubber, to make is similar to, or maybe a step beyond Continental's Black Chili.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 AM

I wish I had read this thread before purchasing a pair of the graphene corsas. Oh well at least they have a skin wall.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Administrator

why is that, seems like they are at least worth a shot...
Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 AM

Vittoria Tire Line--New

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
have you guys seen the video? pretty compelling evidence with the tires running over the spikes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphz...ature=youtu.be

I don't think that has anything to do with graphene. It's sealant that sealed the tires. You can use sealant in any tubeless tire. Sealant doesn't work very well for cuts (I.e, glass), and it dries out, so you have to replace it every 6 months or so. And, if you're like me, you'll wait till a flat doesn't seal to find that out. Also high pressure in road tires makes it harder to seal, as compared to mountain bike tires. I use sealant in my tubeless mountain bike tires. I don't think it's worth the headache of using hard to mount tubeless tires and dealing with messy sealant that has to be renewed/replaced on a set schedule on road tires at this time.