Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2023, 08:53 PM

there was much discussion about this issue here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=3049018
Old 11-29-2023, 08:53 PM

I happily ride 25s here in the land of good pavement. If I feel the need for bigger tires I have other bikes.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:57 PM

Nice deal. I really like those wheels, sharp color on frameset. I gotta dedicate a bit more time to eBay!
Old 11-29-2023, 09:09 PM

Not much to add to the discussion, just wanted to say that I have always liked those bikes (though never had one) and this one in particular looks awesome!, enjoy.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Seriously!? What the heck am I doing with myself I bought a caad13 rim brake hoping I could do that and my 30/32 tires hit the direct mount brakes where they mount.

Which year bikes cleared those bigger tires? Seriously I gotta know lol.
I just took a look at the CAAD13 geo on Geometry Geeks. In my size, 54, it has a 71.2 HTA. Are they shifting the focus to gravel?
Old 11-29-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I just took a look at the CAAD13 geo on Geometry Geeks. In my size, 54, it has a 71.2 HTA. Are they shifting the focus to gravel?
The 13 is a big departure from everything they came before it!
Old 12-07-2023, 12:20 PM

The bike arrived yesterday evening, unscathed thanks to the packing job done by Endeavor Cycles in Charlottesville VA. I put my not-the-fancy-ones Eggbeater pedals on, and the TACX cages that came with the bike, and swapped the saddle, and starting out at 15.85 pounds, so definitely the lightest road bike I've had. I need to swap on the Agilest tires and lighter tubes (it came with Conti Ultrasports) and change to the original stem, then take it out for a ride, probably tomorrow as I've got work today plus it's 30F out. I'm stoked! It's a great color too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5787 copy.jpg (130.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 12-07-2023, 12:51 PM

Jealous! That looks great.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Nice! I think you're going to love it.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:28 PM

I think the seller undersold its condition, the scuffs are really minor. I am definitely thinking this might get the 1x11 treatment, I need to ride it first and make sure it's for me before I start spending $. It doesn't look like it will take much or a mega fat wallet to get to Angry's sub-15 pound target on this bike.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:31 PM

That looks so good!

Dammit. Might have to jump ship to one of these if I can get the geometry and tire clearance I'm after!
Old 12-07-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
That looks so good!

Dammit. Might have to jump ship to one of these if I can get the geometry and tire clearance I'm after!
Rough tire clearance - I pumped the Ultra Sport 25mm up to 80 psi and it measured 24.5mm. Round numbers, I have about 13-14mm combined clearance, so I think this bike could fit a tire that measured 30mm.

It's a matter of preference, but the 2016 geometry is 72.9 HTA and 73.8 STA with a 45mm fork rake. My custom Bingham I did 73 HTA and 74 STA with a 51mm fork rake, to have a bit less trail with the chubbier tires I intended to run. So my expectation is that I will really like how it handles. The CAAD13 has a slacker front end, which some prefer but it's not for me.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:57 PM

I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone can compare the ride quality of the supersix evo hi mod of this generation with something like the caad13 or similar bikes.

I really think I can make one of the models work for me even with the lower stack height, but I'm a little concerned about the ride quality. I'd plan to run the widest tire I could fit in there and consider running it tubeless as well which I'm sure would help... but I'd be miffed if it felt like riding the CAAD9 all over again.

I don't expect it to feel like a roubaix or strael or gravel bike running 40's... I have a steel bike that I bought for more mellow riding. I'd just like to not feel like I'm getting beat up everytime I ride over less than optimal roads because everything around here is bumpy.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a seatpost and stem with some more damping to them to help ease things. With the lower weight of the frame, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. But I'm also not interested in having to work hard to turn the bike into something that it isn't. I.e. if it's much harsher than even the caad13, I likely wouldn't bother.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:30 AM

Take the reviews you receive with a grain of salt. Why, because you will find opposing reviews on the ride quality.

My HiMod was a delight to ride for rides of 2 - 2.5 hours. After that, I would start feeling every chip and seal of the asphalt. It was a sufferfest. I could not wait to get back home. Then, I would need to detox for a few days before I took the HiMod out again. Yep, it was that harsh riding.

I used to have a Caad 4 (or 5?) long time back. But I do not remember that bike beating me up as bad as the HiMod. Yet, if I were to do it again, I would still buy the HiMod in the heartbeat. Why? It was an absolute delight to ride for 2.5 hours rides. And for rides under 2.5 hours, the HiMod (and my current Emonda SLR) simply cannot be beat. It is a joy to ride it for short rides. Telepathic handling, descends-on-rails, floats up hills like a feather, and all that jazzz....yadayadayada

But then again, there are forumites on this very thread who have professed their love for the ride quality of the HiMod no matter the duration of their ride.

Does it come down to the wight of the rider? Does it come down to what else they have ridden prior? Does it come down to the road conditions where they ride? Could be be something innate in their genes that makes them prefer one bike over the other? Who knows. But the way I see it is that the price of the 2016 era Himod has come down enough to spend the dough and find out for yourself. Just rememeber, it is a pure race bike. One ought to build it and ride it to really experience what Denk had in mind when designing this bike.

Quote:
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone can compare the ride quality of the supersix evo hi mod of this generation with something like the caad13 or similar bikes.

I really think I can make one of the models work for me even with the lower stack height, but I'm a little concerned about the ride quality. I'd plan to run the widest tire I could fit in there and consider running it tubeless as well which I'm sure would help... but I'd be miffed if it felt like riding the CAAD9 all over again.

I don't expect it to feel like a roubaix or strael or gravel bike running 40's... I have a steel bike that I bought for more mellow riding. I'd just like to not feel like I'm getting beat up everytime I ride over less than optimal roads because everything around here is bumpy.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a seatpost and stem with some more damping to them to help ease things. With the lower weight of the frame, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. But I'm also not interested in having to work hard to turn the bike into something that it isn't. I.e. if it's much harsher than even the caad13, I likely wouldn't bother.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Our roads here on MV are good. At some point I'll take the bike over to America and really see. I am running light 25s that measure just under 24mm, at 80 psi, and I weigh about 142 lbs. My initial impressions is that the Evo has a smoother ride than the CAAD10 I owned for a year or so, with similar tires. I've only ridden the bike 33 miles so far though!

But, I know I am not nearly as sensitive as many who comment on PL to ride "quality". And I have multiple bikes which have fatter tires for appropriate rides.