Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 PM

The SR1000 and R500 (crest) pictured here were my first and second 'real' road bikes respectively.

I eventually left both to friends as I moved on to a Trek 5500, pictured below by the Cannondale train station in CT as first loves die hard

PS. The SR1000 was actually stolen in NYC a couple of months ago, so if anyone sees one of those frames, with the funky paint job crop up I wouldn't mind a PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141025_124446.jpg (71.5 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 1987.pdf copy.jpg (55.3 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_182357copy.jpg (82.3 KB, 322 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 AM

My first good bicycle, after a string of Schwinns and very beat UnicSport, was a used 1972 Fuji Finest. The paint had been stripped, as the frame was all chrome, and it was tricked out. The wheels were Mavic rims rims with Campagnolo Nuovo Record hubs. The stem and bars 3ttt Record. The seat was a Unica-Nitor. I loved that bicycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972 03 Finest.jpg (63.0 KB, 299 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:57 AM

I bet that was one sweet bike. I've wanted to find an all chrome bike with the chrome in good condition of course, I watch CL all the time for such a beast. I keep saying I'm not buying any more bikes but it's the all chrome bike that is haunting me to buy...if the price is right of course.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 PM

1988 Nishiki International Ole, with oversized tubes and an awful white groupset. Switched out the parts for Suntour Surperbe pro, upgraded to 7-speed, and added Campy wheels. Still have it, still ride it.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchguy View Post
1988 Nishiki International Ole, with oversized tubes and an awful white groupset. Switched out the parts for Suntour Surperbe pro, upgraded to 7-speed, and added Campy wheels. Still have it, still ride it.
That bike to me was an odd bike, it had the top of the line oversize tange 1 tubeset with reinforcement rings, all of which made the bike more responsive than other bikes even costing twice as much, then they put on mid low level components, I never could figure out that one, I guess they wanted something unique but not costly and if the buyer wanted to upgrade the components, like you did, the buyer would have one (if not the finest) of the finest frames on the road and not had paid much for it.

Anyway I hope you kept the Ole groupset because it is a rare group to have.

By the way, i have the 1983 suntour Superbe groupset that has over 150,000 miles on it without ever a failure, that stuff is bulletproof, not only is it bulletproof but they shifter faster than any other component made in the world at the time. The weird thing about mine is that I opted for the Superbe Tech rear derailleur because at the time I bought it I was racing the mountains of S California, and that derailleur was the only one that could shift while cranking up a steep grade without having to release pressure off the pedals. The Tech also had the dubious fame of having problems with the internal spring mechanism, when I found that out about 3 years after I bought the group I bought a spare Tech rear derailleur which I've never used because that original Tech never failed and still shifts like it did when it was new.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Administrator

BUMP!

We've got some new members in these parts...what was your first nice ride?

William
Old 06-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Used Specialized Allez ~ 2002

(like the one here: https://files.bikeindex.org/uploads/...lizedAllez.jpg).

Marketing to take advantage of our short term memories/fickle preferences; Aero downtube + level top tube --> kill the aero down tube, slope the top tube, -->bring back the aero downtube and rename. Jokes aside, the DSW SL Sprint is something I would ride as a race bike.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 PM

1986 Peugeot with Sachs Huret gruppo.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:44 PM
#RYFB

Masi Gran Criterium

A Masi Gran Criterium, made at Vigorelli circa 1975, with pantographed chainring, seatpost, stem, and cutout/painted shifters. Champagne with yellow highlights, all Nuovo Record.

Unfortunately it was a 56 which was way too big for me, so I bought this Gios, moved all the non-panto parts over, and sold it.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 AM

indy fab planet x. purchased off a guy who drunk-bought it on ebay and never rode it. still the most comfortable bike i own.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Fuji Cross Comp from 2005? from Craigslist. Thought I was going to go full cyclocross until I realized I liked going straight fast vs. not-as-fast and more muddy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Went from a 2006 scott speedster s50 then upgraded it to full sram force/red--> went to an upgraded frame the smartweld specialized allez all black frame--> now i have a ritchey road logic with campagnolo athena/chorus with enve cockpit and moved all the sram to a ritchey swiss cross.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frikki View Post
The SR1000 and R500 (crest) pictured here were my first and second 'real' road bikes respectively.

I eventually left both to friends as I moved on to a Trek 5500, pictured below by the Cannondale train station in CT as first loves die hard

PS. The SR1000 was actually stolen in NYC a couple of months ago, so if anyone sees one of those frames, with the funky paint job crop up I wouldn't mind a PM.

WOW. I love those. Sorry to hear about the loss.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:42 PM

I saved up to pay half the price of a Cannondale R400 when I was 13. A few years later I crashed it in the Bermuda Grand Prix. The bike I raced for the next eight years was a Trek 5000.

Andrew
Old 08-08-2017, 03:12 PM

My first real road bike was this 10 speed Nishiki Century--I picked it up from a garage sale for $5 and did all sorts of terrible things to it as a bike noob. I eventually turned it in to a gravel bike--I think I was a little ahead of the curve on that, so this should really boost my hipster rep. Who knew they made knobby tires for 27" wheels? Well, they (kenda) do! It eventually lost the stem shifters and got a proper set of downtube shifters (friction). The biggest functional improvements were the addition of modern brakes and levers and an all-metal shimano 5-6-7 speed derailleur.

Man, I had a lot of fun on that bike, and learned a lot of lessons (like how much money you can spend on a crappy $5 bike... and it's still a crappy $5 bike). It raced triathlon and CX, rode in the snow, rain, gravel, and dirt, raised money for charity. It finished its journey with me on the front porch of a church on Orcas Island with a note that said "please give this to someone who needs it". I wonder what kind of adventures it's having these days, if any at all.

Long live Captain America!