Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 12:13 PM

You need a Guru Evolo R. White with red.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
You need a Guru Evolo R. White with red.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:25 PM

I think the tailgator or other seatpost-mounted option would be out of the question because of the shape of the Allez's seatpost, no?

Given that, I think a large bikepacking-style saddlebag or frame pack would suit your purposes best. I definitely sympathize with not wanting a backpack. I extended my commute from 3 miles to 20ish on the road this morning with my backpack on, and it was miserable. Don't know why I do that to myself. It's fine off-road but every discomfort is so much more noticeable on pavement.

Edit: I often ride with a very small handlebar bag-- in my case the one from Ornot (though there are dozens out there). I don't find that it affects handling on any of my bikes at all, and it doesn't swing around much. It could be a good option for spreading the load out slightly and keeping any one part of your commuting setup from feeling too heavy relative to the rest of the bike.

Last edited by sandyrs; 03-30-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 PM
Total Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Not really. The trail on the bike you have now is not ideal for front loading like you have done. My guess is you don't like how it handles and the additional input required with the weight on the front. But the term "rando" isn't really useful anyhow as plenty of people ride ranodnees on all sorts of different bikes including ones with traditional race geo.

A big saddlebag on a road bike will transport your clothes, but if you're riding out of the saddle on your commute there is a very real "tail wagging the dog" thing that will happen either with a saddle bag or panniers. It doesn't bother some people, for others it's a non-starter. It depends on your riding style among other things.

Stuffing your clothes into a frame bag on the your favorite road bike will likely yield handling closest to how you like it, but you're limited on space. You can't really have your cake and eat it too, which I have to think you knew from the get-go.
I agree with this...handling really is the issue here. You could get a superlight road bike and use a burley travoy trailer, which would not compromise handling sensations of a nimble road bike, but at additional weight and rolling resistance. I do love the versatility of my travoy.

Otherwise, you might just want to start with a fork swap because that really is a pretty nice "fast" setup you already have. Try the Soma low trail fork if you're inclined to keep your ostrich bag.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/prod...l-touring-fork

Tai
Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
I think the tailgator or other seatpost-mounted option would be out of the question because of the shape of the Allez's seatpost, no?

Given that, I think a large bikepacking-style saddlebag or frame pack would suit your purposes best. I definitely sympathize with not wanting a backpack. I extended my commute from 3 miles to 20ish on the road this morning with my backpack on, and it was miserable. Don't know why I do that to myself. It's fine off-road but every discomfort is so much more noticeable on pavement.

Edit: I often ride with a very small handlebar bag-- in my case the one from Ornot (though there are dozens out there). I don't find that it affects handling on any of my bikes at all, and it doesn't swing around much. It could be a good option for spreading the load out slightly and keeping any one part of your commuting setup from feeling too heavy relative to the rest of the bike.
I agree. I think the large bikepacking saddlebag may be the money move here, as mentioned above. Carradice, or the like.

I may still get something a bit more cush because back to back to back 3 hour days on the Allez isn't the epitome of the definition of "fun", although it would likely come out to closer to 2.5 hour days.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
I agree. I think the large bikepacking saddlebag may be the money move here, as mentioned above. Carradice, or the like.
FWIW, these aren't the same thing. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. There are plenty of reviews on both types in various places.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
FWIW, these aren't the same thing. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. There are plenty of reviews on both types in various places.
I want a pouch for my clothing and that's IT. Smaller = better.

*Shirt
*Pair of Pants
*Undershirt
*Pair of underpants
*Socks
*Belt and other accoutrements
*Lunch

What's that, 8L? 10L?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:

*Shirt
*Pair of Pants
*Undershirt
*Pair of underpants
*Socks
*Lunch

What's that, 8L? 10L?
I went with the panniers so that I could ride loaded 2x/wk and unloaded 3x/wk. Clean clothes on Monday, dirty on Friday. The rest of the week was just the bike and the empty top pack with the panniers stowed. I did not use a seat bag, I kept the tube and tools in the top cover of the pack.

Topeak MTX with rack.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I went with the panniers so that I could ride loaded 2x/wk and unloaded 3x/wk. Clean clothes on Monday, dirty on Friday. The rest of the week was just the bike and the empty top pack with the panniers stowed. I did not use a seat bag, I kept the tube and tools in the top cover of the pack.

Topeak MTX with rack.
If I use with the Allez, this won't work.
If I explore a round-tubed option, this is a real solution.

Noted, thanks.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:

*Shirt
*Pair of Pants
*Undershirt
*Pair of underpants
*Socks
*Lunch

What's that, 8L? 10L?
Probably. Either option would leave my clothes wrinkled af if I packed it. Best of luck, man!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Category VI

Hopeless! Maybe I'll just get a brompton and ride the 30k in my civvies.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 PM

I do two things.

Mellow days, cross bike with rack and panniers.

Real riding days, back pack. I'm getting sweaty anyways, the back sweat don't matter. Just embrace it.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Rivendell has quite a history of selling practical bike luggage and I have several of their older bags of various sizes in tan canvas and tan saddle leather. I also have a couple of Carradice bags that don't look as cool (to me) but work great and cost less. I think a Nelson Longflap from Carradice might solve your problem.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM
formerly Landshark_98

This: http://builtbyswift.com/product-cate...s/saddle-bags/

Plus this: http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/...sport-original

works for me with that amount of gear and a road bike.

But I wouldn't discount the rando - front bag setup with the right bike, but that's the rub -- getting the right bike. This rando style bike is not sluggish. With a full front bag it handles differently but the bike doesn't hold me back in the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spectrum Swift.jpg (91.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Spectrum & Lights.jpg (53.9 KB, 141 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
This: http://builtbyswift.com/product-cate...s/saddle-bags/

Plus this: http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/...sport-original

works for me with that amount of gear and a road bike.

But I wouldn't discount the rando - front bag setup with the right bike, but that's the rub -- getting the right bike. This rando style bike is not sluggish. With a full front bag it handles differently but the bike doesn't hold me back in the least.
So keep the bag, and find a faster bike that will do well with this bag?