Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Category VI

Best commuting options for standard road bike?

I tried out the Ubermuter for about 6 months, but it's just too sluggish with the full steel fork and the higher handlebars and the overall relaxed feel. It will be up for sale once I decide what to replace it with.

So:
*I would like to avoid the backpack/backsweat option.
*The bag I have now is more or less perfect-sized for getting my clothes to/from the office (Ostrich F-104 bag).
*I do not *need* fenders, but they are nice on those post-early-rain mornings that I ride in.

What kind of bike do I want, and how do I transport my clothes?

Now on:

Last edited by ANAO; 03-30-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM

you are describing a front loaded rando bike to me. I can fit a ton of crap in my front bag, anything you need. rides like a roadie, fits fat tires and fenders, carries gear. am i missing something?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Sounds like you want a road bike. My wife uses a Topeak MTX beam (seatpost mount) with trunk bag that has roll down sides like panniers. Plenty of room and fits any bike. Some say they're unstable, but she hasn't had any issues with it.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
you are describing a front loaded rando bike to me. I can fit a ton of crap in my front bag, anything you need. rides like a roadie, fits fat tires and fenders, carries gear. am i missing something?
That's what I'm on now. Too heavy/sluggish for my liking.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM
Administrator

haha, i knew you werent going to like that bike, based on what you were describing as your expectations. it's not the weight, but the overall design. the mostercross is not conceived as a fast roadie, by any stretch of the imagination.

just use your current road bike with a moots tailgator and call it good.

or call mike Z and have him build you an aluminum bike with a carbon fork and fender eyes and braze ons for a small rack that will do everything you want, and more.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
I tried out the Ubermuter for about 6 months, but it's just too sluggish with the full steel fork and the higher handlebars and the overall relaxed feel.
The Ubermuter is quasi-rando, so that idea is out, no?

Keep it simple, get a Black Mountain road, Gunnar Sport, etc and add a Carradice 8-10L saddlebag.

If you have the $$$ budget, pick your titanium builder of choice and a Whiskey No 7 RD+ fork...add 30s, fenders and bag.

Instagram
Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM

I used a CX bike fitted with the Topeak MTX rack and fold out panniers. rode great.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:25 AM

I've been trying to figure that out for myself as well and i've landed on the Skinnymalinky from Shand which looks to be a pretty decent fast commuter.
I've also been thinking about going Marinoni Piuma and ask them to build it around medium-reach brakes and the Whisky road + fork but haven't investigated the idea fully yet.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That's what I'm on now. Too heavy/sluggish for my liking.
didn't see the pic before for some reason. hmm, i think its the bike then, not the concept.

that being said, im thinking of selling my waterford rain bike... want it?
[IMG]Rainy gravel by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

takes a rear rack too!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
didn't see the pic before for some reason. hmm, i think its the bike then, not the concept.

that being said, im thinking of selling my waterford rain bike... want it?
[IMG]Rainy gravel by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

takes a rear rack too!
Kinda do. What size is that?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
That's what I'm on now.
Not really. The trail on the bike you have now is not ideal for front loading like you have done. My guess is you don't like how it handles and the additional input required with the weight on the front. But the term "rando" isn't really useful anyhow as plenty of people ride ranodnees on all sorts of different bikes including ones with traditional race geo.

A big saddlebag on a road bike will transport your clothes, but if you're riding out of the saddle on your commute there is a very real "tail wagging the dog" thing that will happen either with a saddle bag or panniers. It doesn't bother some people, for others it's a non-starter. It depends on your riding style among other things.

Stuffing your clothes into a frame bag on the your favorite road bike will likely yield handling closest to how you like it, but you're limited on space. You can't really have your cake and eat it too, which I have to think you knew from the get-go.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 03-30-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Not really. The trail on the bike you have now is not ideal for front loading like you have done. My guess is you don't like how it handles and the additional input required with the weight on the front. But the term "rando" isn't really useful anyhow as plenty of people ride ranodnees on all sorts of different bikes including ones with traditional race geo.

A big saddlebag on a road bike will transport your clothes, but if you're riding out of the saddle on your commute there is a very real "tail wagging the dog" thing that will happen either with a saddle bag or panniers. It doesn't bother some people, for others it's a non-starter. It depends on your riding style among other things.

Stuffing your clothes into a frame bag on the your favorite road bike will likely yield handling closest to how you like it, but you're limited on space. You can't really have your cake and eat it too, which I have to think you knew from the get-go.
I don't know much, but I do know I don't know much.

Which is why I ask you kind folks how to ensure that in truth, the cake is not a lie.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 AM
なんでやねん

That Tailfin thing might have its application here.

https://www.tailfin.cc

Or get one of Tomii's new stock frames with the little rack included?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Is it you don't like the way the bike feels or you actually go too slow on that bike?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
Is it you don't like the way the bike feels or you actually go too slow on that bike?
Bike is sluggish to respond when out of the saddle, but angles are all wrong when I try to get into the groove when I have, say, a 20 minute stretch to just lay it down and go (WSH off peak hours).