Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Of the places you mentioned Denver would be the better choice. Perhaps more like Longmount or Boulder if you want the high prices.

Charlottesville is basically a suburb of DC now. You won't really see any change there. And most people head out of Charlottesville to avoid the insane traffic.

I'm a bit further down Rt 81 and it's the best cycling you could ever ask for. Tech jobs are far and few between though.

If you want to stay on the east coast then you might consider Knoxville. I'm hearing more and more good things about it.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 PM

Asheville, NC
[/]
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM
cnighbor2

Nothern Oregon

Northern Oregon Portland, Bend all gets you in some nice riding
Bend does have a winter
Northern CA works also
Once out of high cost area like the SF bay area works like Chico
Old 03-28-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
Northern Oregon Portland, Bend all gets you in some nice riding

Bend does have a winter

Northern CA works also

Once out of high cost area like the SF bay area works like Chico

Portland is good if you want to tool around the city, or if you want to race cross, but until you get way out of the city, or drive out to the good rides and endless gravel, the roads are pretty tough for roadies - traffic, rain, no bike lanes, bad surfaces, etc. all complicate things - it's not what it was 20yrs ago when riding up in the hills close to town was rural. It all depends on what you're benchmarking to though. I've lived in Boulder, so I have pretty high standards for what a "good" cycling city is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Asheville, NC
[/]
I've heard good things, too. Suuuper small town, though -- <90k population versus, e.g., Charlotte (800k), Denver (650k), et al. Job prospects can probably be lowered accordingly.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-carolina.html
Old 03-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
I've heard good things, too. Suuuper small town, though -- <90k population versus, e.g., Charlotte (800k), Denver (650k), et al. Job prospects can probably be lowered accordingly.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-carolina.html
HAR! From NY, I'd guess you'd consider Asheville as Suuuper small at 90K population. From where I've lived, I'd consider Wartrace, TN as suuper small. Guess it's just perspective. Either way, I'd go to Asheville in a minute if I could get work there. However, in my field, I have never been able to get work where I wanted to live - ever. Quality of life in Asheville, including riding, is just very good for what floats my boat.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
From NY, I'd guess you'd consider Asheville as Suuuper small at 90K population
Or even from the "medium-sized" aforementioned cities.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Of the places you mentioned Denver would be the better choice. Perhaps more like Longmount or Boulder if you want the high prices.
Denver/Golden/Longmont was always at the top of my list. Available jobs, good riding, good racing scene at least looking at the calendars. I lived in Denver for a few months a while back, really enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Charlottesville is basically a suburb of DC now. You won't really see any change there. And most people head out of Charlottesville to avoid the insane traffic. I'm a bit further down Rt 81 and it's the best cycling you could ever ask for. Tech jobs are far and few between though.
Compared to what the place was 10 years ago, its definitely changed, but still feels very small town to me. It would be an easy move and keeps proximity to family (Nova & Richmond).

I love riding in shenandoah & page valley, both road & mtb, hard to beat it.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
well as far as socal, id say skip it since you mention you wanted to avoid the assholes in the east coast rat race. different rat race, but same amount of assholes. !
not even close when it comes to San Diego... there isn't much better than San Diego for cycling... if you can find a job that pays you enough to live in SD, you won't find a better place... (I was stationed there for 6 yrs and would love to go back!)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Product of my environment, most likely. The customer site where I work these days is a terrible place to spend my time. But the commute is short and the money is good.

Anyone here live or lived in Bend, Or?
Haven't lived there, but stayed in the area last Sept/Oct on our trip and loved the area. We said to each other that we could move there - maybe. Not sure what the job prospects are. Real estate is nuts right now, tons of building going on, and stuff ain't cheap. Lots of Bay area money moved in making the real estate go nuts. Kind of like Bozeman in that it has been discovered and you're late to the party.

Recreation-wise, there is a ton to do. The climate is quite nice - high desert - but you'd have to check the specifics.

I'm sure someone more local could give you more info.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
not even close when it comes to San Diego... there isn't much better than San Diego for cycling... if you can find a job that pays you enough to live in SD, you won't find a better place... (I was stationed there for 6 yrs and would love to go back!)
I'll be out there in a few weeks for a conference.... although I've been to SD a bunch, and rented a house in Encinitas for a week to do some early season riding. Nice place to ride, although, getting out of the city was a bit of a drag.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Needs: good area for cycling (mtb/gravel riding and season of CX racing a plus - DC area has spoiled me on those things), availability of cleared jobs for my wife (DoD/Intelligence program/projecdt management), IT or software industry jobs for myself, fewer assholes than the east coast rat race.
How about something near Vandenberg AFB?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap11.jpg (45.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM

We have friends who we overlapped with while we lived in NOVA--they thought they were retiring and moved to Colorado (built the dream house near Telluride and all). Got bored, went back to work (he's in aerospace) in Arizona, then moved to Cedar Rapids.

Fly-over country--but they love the low cost of living, and it sounded like quite a bit was going on at least for him. Rockwell is one large employer.

No idea 'bout the cycling though.

I do agree about NoVA--too many entitled people. I barely rode my bike while I was there, since the drivers are speed demons and have no idea what to make of cyclists sharing the road...

Last edited by paredown; 03-28-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:25 PM

Find me a good place to live for cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Haven't lived there, but stayed in the area last Sept/Oct on our trip and loved the area. We said to each other that we could move there - maybe. Not sure what the job prospects are. Real estate is nuts right now, tons of building going on, and stuff ain't cheap. Lots of Bay area money moved in making the real estate go nuts. Kind of like Bozeman in that it has been discovered and you're late to the party.

Recreation-wise, there is a ton to do. The climate is quite nice - high desert - but you'd have to check the specifics.

I'm sure someone more local could give you more info.

There are direct flights from Bend to SFO - and that's not just for Giants fans...

It is a neat city in pockets, but pretty small, and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Clean39T; 03-28-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Oh man, but Tulsa Tough! It's the "Best weekend of racing" agreed an anonymous New Mexico racer. Never partaken, myself. Looks fun though.
It is a gas, and I love my hometown, but when I think of ideal places to live and ride, I think more mountains and less people.

Is it June yet?