Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 10:17 AM

OT Sever's "disease"

So this is a heel bone growth plate stress/inflammation thing. Super common in kids per the visit to podiatry yesterday, but my insurance doesn't cover the $916 custom orthotics he recommended. A quick google search turned up a few "kids" inserts, but my son has already gone to mens 8.5-9 shoe size and nothing in the google hits went to that size, so I was wondering if anyone has been through this and what worked (over the counter)--hoping my son won't have to sit out track
Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM

See if he can refer you to a Sport Med Tech or Pedorthist or something. If he won't go get a second opinion from another doctor and find someone who can make it affordable. There are also PTs who make them.

Those guys will probably be more skilled at building the orthotic and charge a lot less.

I've been wearing orthotics for 27 years (since I was 13).. $916 is close to 2X anything I've ever paid.

The worst pair I ever had was the only pair actually made my a podiatrist. That was a long time ago but they were probably the most expensive pair too. I was playing soccer and running track at the time and the orthotics the podiatrist made were terrible for sports.

Once you know what's going on (why your son got this) you generally don't even need to see a doctor at all when it's time for orthotics.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 AM

thanks ben

it is a common issue that totally resolves once the bone is done growing--apparently the heel is done by age 14. no easy way around what our insurance allows. best cash price i found was $600.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:05 PM

I've never had a pair covered by insurance at all and never paid more than $500.. that is what I was getting at.

Unless there is something really special about these orthotics the price just sounds like there is some gouging going on because they are being made directly by the doctor.

e.x. a couple years ago I hurt my wrist and inadvertently let the doctor give me the wrist brace. Got charged $50 for it. Saw it at CVS for $5 a day later.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 PM

I had it when I was a kid. The Dr recommended a cast or ace badge wrap up (this was in mid to late 80's) and crutches. I decided I could deal with the pain which went away in about a month.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM

I'd be surprised if orthotics help much unless he has some other issue. If this is the first episode and it hasn't been going on for months I think most people recommend nsaids and avoiding activity that aggravates it. I think it's a similar/same mechanism as osgood-schlatter.
Find a orthopedist with a foot fellowship if it doesn't work out with the podiatrist.
Huge grain of salt as I could be completely wrong.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM

I don't know if these work for that specific condition but I've had great luck with a-line - http://www.aline.com

They come with wedges to adjust how they support your foot however you need it. I had seen them and was skeptical of the $85 price tag until I went to a podiatrist who didn't sell them and wouldn't sell custom orthotics because he thought they were a ripoff. He told me to find these and try them and they fixed a foot issue I've had for 20+ years so now I'm a total convert.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Hey Moose8, can you detail any more of your experience with those Aline footbeds?

They look sufficiently unique I might be tempted to try them, however their website doesn't really mention anything about the inserts. They also don't have a dealer locator, etc..

I have orthotics.. but have never really gotten them to work particularly well of running, and they're expensive.. if those work the $85 or whatever is actually really reasonable. I'd just want to make sure ordering off their website gets you everything you need.

Cycling seems like it might be easier to get them to work for me.

It always seems like the products fall into two zones:
- Off the shelf has essentially no support
- Real orthotics are often too much support, so your foot doesn't absorb any shock and it just goes up to your knee/back.

AFAICT there is actually no evidence any of these products, including custom orthotics, actually work. At least if you are talking peer reviewed scientific evidence. So there is a pretty solid argument to try the cheap stuff too.

Last edited by benb; 03-22-2017 at 02:22 PM.