Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2017, 11:08 PM

Manhattan Beach (LA) ride route advice?

I will be spending a week in Manhattan Beach and would like to find two or three interesting 30 - 60 mile routes. My plan is to rent a decent road bike (seems like Helen's in Santa Monica is the closest place) and go out for a few solid training rides. I have visited Manhattan Beach a couple of times and it doesn't seem very road bike friendly, plus other than a boring flat ride North/South along the beach, heading East under the 405 looks like the only way to get some miles in. If it makes any difference my rides are likely to be on weekday mornings starting at 7:30am.

Any local advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by R332; 02-11-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: 1
Old 02-12-2017, 12:01 AM
Formerly rchman

You'll want to go south to Palos Verdes which has some great riding. A friend of mine lives in Manhattan Beach and 95% of his rides are in PV. If you want, message me and I can send you a link to his strava so you can see his routes.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 AM
#BikeMafia

If you are looking for a fast training ride, there is always NPR....
Old 02-12-2017, 12:56 AM

There is a Helen's in MB, not sure if they rent. I hear you on the N/S boring part. I lived there for almost 10 years and it was hard to get out some days. Not very exciting but I found I really liked starting at 45th St (most N street) and riding up and down each street for hill repeats +-11% about .4mi each street...did it on my SS...20 years ago
Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 AM
Gallant C.

+1 for heading to Palos Verdes. Really scenic routes around the coast and decent climbs. There is a Saturday Donut ride in PV that I think is run by a LBS. You can also just ride along PCH. A bit sketchy in parts but nice to ride along the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallant View Post
+1 for heading to Palos Verdes. Really scenic routes around the coast and decent climbs. There is a Saturday Donut ride in PV that I think is run by a LBS. You can also just ride along PCH. A bit sketchy in parts but nice to ride along the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lived in Camarillo and the ride from there down the coast to SantaMonica always interesting..Go west to Mugu, maybe up to Ventura..
Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Princess Sweat

Palos Verdes has a few routes that are rad' for sure but maybe take a look at stuff up north a little bit. It will require a little bit of driving unless you want to take on some (needless) flat miles.

1. If you do this park near Ocean + San Vicente in Santa Monica. It's free parking all day long.

2. Head up Pacific Coast Highway.

a. Topanga - Old Topanga - Mulholland - Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon - PCH
b. Topanga - Old Topanga - Fernwood - Stunt - Mulholland - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH
c. Malibu Canyon - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH
d. Latigo - Kanan Dume - Mulholland - Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon - PCH
e. Latigo - Kanan Dume - Mulholland (north) - PCH
f. Latigo - Kanan Dume - PCH
g. PCH - Trancas (get snacks + turn around) - PCH

3. These are all climbing routes and are 3 (Topanga) - 10 (Latigo) miles long. If I recall correctly, the most climbing you'll do is 6,000 feet.

4. Since you'll be riding during the week most of these routes will have lighter traffic.

5. If you're from Flatlandia, I strongly suggest taking 1 day to check out the Santa Monica mountains. The riding is effin' awesome.

6. Helen's has a truck that goes between all their locations. They might drop a bike off at the Manhattan Beach store for you.

7. Bring a stem, saddle + pedals with you when you rent. Last time a friend rented from Helen's she was stuck on an Arione with a 90mm stem and almost 0 saddle-bar drop.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 AM

If you can hang with them, the Wheatgrass ride is enormous fun with a great group of riders. I did it last September.

Here is a LINK to a good list of South Bay rides. the Wheatgrass Ride is about half way down.

CaptStash....
Old 02-13-2017, 08:04 AM

PV is the best riding close to MB. Lived in MB for 5yrs and that's where all my rides were. Take Valley south to Catalina, then cut through the Torrance Beach neighborhood on Camino Encanto to avoid a busy section of PV drive. Follow PV Dr West around the peninsula....best scenery for a training ride anywhere. It will become PV Dr South at some point but stay on that until you hit PV Dr East, aka "the switchbacks". Nice climb up to the top, then follow the fast, long descent all the way down to PV dr North and hang a left. That will take you back to the starting point on the PV loop, where you can split off and head back north to MB again.

Lots of cyclists on that route, so it's well traveled. That route is around 32mi with 2k feet of climbing so it's a nice test. Many, many variations on that loop too. If you want more climbing, you can bisect the loop using Via del Monte, Hawthorne, or head all the way up to "the domes" on Crest rd above the switchbacks.

Enjoy whatever riding you do....I'll be back in July for a month and can't wait!

Oh, and stay off PCH anywhere in the beach cities....it's a four lane mess. Many parallel streets to get you there without getting out on that mess.

Last edited by KJMUNC; 02-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Huge thanks for all the suggestions! Without you guys I would be totally lost.

Helen's in S.M. has the rental bike but good tip that they might be able to transfer it to the M.B. location for me!

Since I will have limited time to ride the goal is to do as many rides as possible from my front door. If I find enough time to drive to the start point in S.M. which of these is the 'must do' that would get me ~50 miles of riding?

b. Topanga - Old Topanga - Fernwood - Stunt - Mulholland - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH

My home base will be near Ocean Dr. and 35th St so the suggestion of starting at the North end and doing hill repeats is actually I might try

The rides in the link CaptStash posted are very appealing and since they start at "Manhattan Beach Pier (a/k/a Center of the Known Universe, “CotKU”)" I won't get lost on the way to the ride!

Can anyone tell me approx. how long these three rides, either distance and/or expected time/pace? Can an outsider drop-in on the REMR or is it locals only?

Dearly Beloved Cluster**** Of The Ages: The Donut Ride – Saturday @ 8am

Twice-Weekly Ballbuster Before Work: New Pier Ride a/k/a NPR – Tues & Thurs @ 6:40am

If You Show Up Uninvited You Will Be Crushed And Destroyed: The REMR (pronounced “reamer,” a/k/a Really Early Morning Ride) – Thursday 5:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
PV is the best riding close to MB. Lived in MB for 5yrs and that's where all my rides were. Take Valley south to Catalina, then cut through the Torrance Beach neighborhood on Camino Encanto to avoid a busy section of PV drive. Follow PV Dr West around the peninsula....best scenery for a training ride anywhere. It will become PV Dr South at some point but stay on that until you hit PV Dr East, aka "the switchbacks". Nice climb up to the top, then follow the fast, long descent all the way down to PV dr North and hang a left. That will take you back to the starting point on the PV loop, where you can split off and head back north to MB again.

Lots of cyclists on that route, so it's well traveled. That route is around 32mi with 2k feet of climbing so it's a nice test.
This route sounds like a winner.....if I don't get lost
Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 PM

The PV loop is pretty self explanatory when you do it....there are only a couple of major turns so just keep those in mind and you'll be fine.

As for the rises above, I used to drop into the Pier ride and the Donut on occasion and they're all fine with non-regulars. Never did the REMR so can't comment.

Pier ride goes up to LAX and does fast laps around the north side. It's fast and flattish, IIRC its around 28mi and expect 20ish pace.

Donut is basically most of the loop I described above with a foray into San Pedro. It's 42mi from the start in Redondo (so add 10 coming to/from MB) and it's pretty fast, but with climbs. Expect low 20s pace with 3k ft of climbing.bcouole of regroups after climbs and sprints but it's a freaking hammer fest. Great if you want that, but just be aware.

The list of rides above all all great. My all time fave is Latigo/Kanan Dume. Just know that from MB that's a solid 90mi ride. PCH isn't great but it's a necessary evil if you're going up north.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

Oh, and if you want something diff than PV and don't want to ride PCH, hit up the Mandeville Cyn ride. If you do it during the week there's limited/no traffic and it's a great 50mi ride from MB. Basically take the bike path north until you get to Venice/SM, then take San Vicente up and cut over to Sunset via Rockingham, which will put you right at the base of Mandeville. Then it's a 5mi slog to the top of increasing gradients from a mild 2% at the bottom to a killer 10% wall at the end. Just be super careful on the descent and don't blow stop signs....that climb has a long history of issues. I've never had any issues riding it and it's one of my favorite in-town routes.

Last edited by KJMUNC; 02-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by R332 View Post
If I find enough time to drive to the start point in S.M. which of these is the 'must do' that would get me ~50 miles of riding?

b. Topanga - Fernwood - Stunt - Mulholland - Piuma - Fernwood - Topanga - PCH
I would do a version of B. 42 miles/5,500' climbing Link

Here's the important info:

1. Fill up water + pee at Ocean/San Vicente.

2. If you're low on water by the time you get to Fernwood, stop at the convenience store and top up. Grab snacks too. (They sell good sushi rolls)

3. Fernwood is short but punchy. Take care if it's wet.

4. Don't cross the double line down Stunt.

5a. When you get to Piuma* from Cold Canyon Rd take a right and look for the covered bench by the Fire Station (image below). You can fill up your water bottles there. Also, eat snacks cuz Piuma is 5 miles.

5b. Now is the time to decide if you want to keep climbing. If you don't think you can handle it, go down Piuma. Take a left at Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon (a little bit of climbing to get out) and you'll eventually find yourself at PCH.

6. At the top of Piuma there is a house on the right that has a water faucet. Use it (see image below).

7. The Tuna Canyon descent is FCUKING AMAZING (70+ turns in about 4 miles) but do NOT get cocky and don't space out. Seriously go slow and enjoy the amazing views.

*Piuma is the peak with the towers right under the moon streak.

PS. Direct message me -- Depending on when you're here I might be able to take a morning off and ride with you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PiumaFire.jpg (56.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg PiumaWater.jpg (45.4 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by false_Aest; 02-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM

If you ride through PV, stop at every stop sign - as in, foot-down, full stop at every one. Unless you really want to make a $300+ donation to the PV PD
Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 PM

My LA riding starts next week but my schedule has been compressed a bit which will only leave me enough times for rides that start and end near Manhattan Beach. With that in mind can anyone shed some light on these two options?

Quote:
PV is the best riding close to MB. Lived in MB for 5yrs and that's where all my rides were. Take Valley south to Catalina, then cut through the Torrance Beach neighborhood on Camino Encanto to avoid a busy section of PV drive. Follow PV Dr West around the peninsula....best scenery for a training ride anywhere. It will become PV Dr South at some point but stay on that until you hit PV Dr East, aka "the switchbacks". Nice climb up to the top, then follow the fast, long descent all the way down to PV dr North and hang a left. That will take you back to the starting point on the PV loop, where you can split off and head back north to MB again. Lots of cyclists on that route, so it's well traveled. That route is around 32mi with 2k feet of climbing so it's a nice test.
Is there a Strava map available for this or a variation of it? I am decent with a map but less so with GPS tech . 32 miles is a bit short but I could do the loop twice to get in the distance I want.

This ride would be perfect for my schedule!

Twice-Weekly Ballbuster Before Work: New Pier Ride a/k/a NPR – Tues & Thurs @ 6:40am

Can anyone tell me approx. how long the ride is, either distance and/or expected time/pace? Can an outsider drop-in or is it locals only? Is there a ring leader I could contact to ask for permission to ride along?

If anyone wants to make a new out of town riding buddy that would be happy to buy coffee and sweet treats after I am game! Pretty much any morning between 6am to 10am and possibly at a different/later time for one ride during the week.

Cheers
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 AM

Just show up.

But you can email Seth Davidson, if you want to meet a few of the regulars and get some pointers on the finer points of the fake race.

seth@sethdavidsonlaw.com