Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 PM

C´mon: opinions? Why not?
But posting the driver personal info and calling revenge is something else.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Nice stealth brag, Houston.

Anyhoo, I'm starting to believe that The Mean Streets of the San Gabriel Valley aren't so mean. LA drivers are generally awesome. Yep.
That wasn't the stealth brag. The stealth brag was "I ride on that street almost everyday." The statement you reference was "my 1%'er out of touch" comment. I was having fun with that comment.

Last edited by joosttx; 03-30-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
agreed #lame to do that.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:39 PM

15 Year Old Fords in Marin

When I was at UCLA, I liked driving a mile north to Bel Air. As one gained elevation and the lots shrank (3000 sq ft homes versus 15,000), it seemed as if there were Hondas in every other driveway. Rich people are smart, I thought! It was astounding that in the land of conspicuous (vulgar) wealth, not everyone drove a Rolls. That's what I liked about Marin. But I guess those days are gone.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:41 PM
2Retro4U

That intersection is two miles from my house, I ride through it all the time. Never had any incident like that.

I drive a battered 27-year old Ford pickup truck. They still let me live in Marin County.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I think most if not all here are for different opinions. Just sometimes those opinions strike me as very odd. This was one of those times.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I watched the video ...while romans drive cars.
Since some took exception to colker's comments, I watched the video again.

The cyclist appears to be riding in the middle of the lane. Okay; it also appears (I'm assuming) he intended to take the left at the intersection. It's not clear to me whether the cyclist signaled his intent or where in the left turn lane he was-on the right side, or the middle. Both matter to me because it would give the driver a clue as to the cyclist's intent and whether how the cyclist executed the left turn would further piss off the driver. Sometimes it matters; sometimes it doesn't.

I think the driver already had a short fuse. The cyclist just lit it.

Then the driver proceeds through the intersection, in the right turn lane, but takes a left. This was clearly to confront the cyclist. The driver also executes the U-turn, and heads back the way he came. So did he only leave the Postal Service parking lot to go after the cyclist to confront him?

I agree with colker on some points.

2_ i see a self righteous cyclist taking too much road space. I see this, too. And I think some cyclists view their bike cameras as a reason to "up the ante".

3_ i see a mob lynching on the internet when personal info is posted here. I too think this went a touch too far even though it's mostly harmless. While the info is readily available, since I feel the cyclist bears more responsibility in this confrontation than many on this forum feel, I don't think it's quite fair to the other party regardless of his threats.

Typical passive agressive PC cycling culture. So NO, you are not Jesus on a bicycle while romans drive cars. Yeah; there's definitely a lot of this "aggressive PC cycling culture" thing going around. Had the cyclist kept his mouth shut more during the confrontation re: not tossed the bike down like he was itching for a fight, he'd have more of my vote.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Well said.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 PM

pretty sure I can recognize a mental case when I see/hear one...

the motorist in that vid qualifies...
Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Typical passive agressive PC cycling culture. So NO, you are not Jesus on a bicycle while romans drive cars. Yeah; there's definitely a lot of this "aggressive PC cycling culture" thing going around. Had the cyclist kept his mouth shut more during the confrontation re: not tossed the bike down like he was itching for a fight, he'd have more of my vote.
Peter, you should read up on the CA Vehicle Code and re-read Joosttx's expository post.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 PM

That fella in the vehicle is going to get shot by someone. You threaten to kill the wrong person, and there are a lot of unhinged people out there, you never know how it will escalate.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 PM

Wonder if this dude will get the usual threatment... somebody will find his address and phone number and posted somewhere for the trolls to have fun with him.

Honestly, some cyclist sucks at riding at the street, thats a fact but is true that because you have a large vehicle you can't just go and use it as a weapon, thats plain wrong.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:00 PM

Worst road rage I've ever experienced, even after being a Boston and NY bike messenger, was in Sausalito. After getting clear of the wack job, I followed the perp in his old gold MB. He lived way up the hills. Entitlement attitude is everywhere, but Marin may have a higher percentage. Folks like repackrider are a minority.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I watched the video and i saw a cyclist taking the whole lane to himself while a car needs to pass. Next cyclist drops the bike and argues with the driver, we don´t hear the argument but i bet he was annoying enough to push the driver´s buttons. What was said there?? No one knows but cyclist is always right..??
Then driver starts yelling at the cyclist.
1_ i see no crime.
2_ i see a self righteous cyclist taking too much road space.
3_ i see a mob lynching on the internet when personal info is posted here. A law suit against the forum would not be unfair.

Typical passive agressive PC cycling culture. So NO, you are not Jesus on a bicycle while romans drive cars.
dude, regardless of anything, that crap that the driver did is just ridiculous. its as if the guy on the bike, punched his wife or something but yet he was just in his lane. Is it necessary?

I just dusted off my cyclic rear camera today, spring is here and I noticed that people are driving more aggressive, everyone wants to go home and enjoy the weather and I had completely forgot I had the camera.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:13 PM

20 years after the fact I can finally laugh at this story:

The ONLY time I've ever been pushed off the road by a car (as in drive along side, match speed, start moving right, make contact, etc.) was in Marin County, by a Marin County Sheriff in his marked Marin County Sheriff's car. Three in my single file group of 8 or so crashed, the Sheriff kept going.

Needless to say I have little faith that the law enforcement for my neighbors to the south give a sh#t about doing the right thing.