Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 AM

lifting weights after racing a good idea?

so i've been on this workout plan lately that centers around lifting weights every sunday and tuesday no matter what you do on those days.

-so since the racing season is upon us here in california, i'm racing every weekend and on tuesdays as well which means im doing double days of racing hard and lifting right after.

-my question is this: would this be considered overtraining at all?
i know the body will adapt to the stress you put on it, but even i think this is to much. thoughts?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 AM

Probably best if you define what the weight lifting routine, purpose, and intensity is.

For example I'm currently working on back stabilization so lots of front squats, 3x 12 reps at 145lbs. RDL as same, weighted glut bridges, plank variations, and assorted weighted carries. At these weights leg muscles are not getting markedly stressed/stronger, but I am building core stamina in the back, midsection, and working on better glut activation. This sort of routine could be done after racing though you may be limited in weight due to lower stamina at this point which could reduce your gains.

Six month ago I was lifting heavy. 5x5 Deadlifts at 300+ lbs and 2-3 minutes of rest between sets. Don't recall the rest of the routine, but was generally built around using muscles not in the deadlift after deadlifting. This sort of routine could not be done after racing IMO. Certainly you could do it, but unlikely to have any gains and/or would plateau quickly and possible start exhibiting over-training symptoms.

Disclaimer: not a PT, MD, RN, or have a degree in exercise science, kinesiology or physical education.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 AM

In some cases, combining the two workouts would be a great idea and even necessary to promote improvement.

You could call it a secret training program.

But only YOU can determine whether it's resulting in better performance on the bike. If you are overtraining, your performance will actually decline, and you'll be affected both mentally and physically. Keep track of both of those metrics and adjust your training appropriately.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 AM

I don't think so, but that's just me. I lifted 1x/wk on off days during the season. Be sure to add the workouts to your CTL.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:01 AM

Why not just switch days?
How is every "sunday and tuesday" better than "every Monday and Wednesday", or "every Saturday and Monday"
Old 03-30-2017, 07:34 AM

Above all else keep this in mind -- you only get stronger when you rest.

A comprehensive plan would take all the stressors into account. It sounds like you're trying to do that but you should reevaluate your activity every day and make sure you build in plenty of rest. If you are racing hard two times a week now I would think one more big day in the week would be all that you need to both maintain and even improve.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 AM

I am going to try and keep to the 1x per week during the season.

For me.. anything heavy just totally messes with my riding for a few days.. if I go and do squats/dead lifts with heavier weights my pedal stroke is FUBAR for 48 hours or so.

So I guess weight lifting after riding might be better.

Doing higher rep stuff (20 reps) with slightly lighter weight seems to be good for me in terms of aches and pains and posture and stuff while riding.

Then there is that thing.. if it's going to rain some days and be nice some days I'd rather be doing the weight lifting on the rainy days.. that can mess everything up of course.

Maybe a 20-30 minute ride followed by weights is good.. that little bit of riding will often seem to charge me up and I have more energy for the weight lifting.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 AM

If you just like to work out, the lifting is probably fine. Factoring proper recovery into the plan post-wko is going to need to be a high priority. The weights might help your sprint a little bit, but there is little benefit to cycling performance past that.

If you want to get better at bike racing, it's probably not. Your time would be better spent doing 45min of sweet spot or some other TSS accumulator ride that won't destroy you too much more than the race did.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 AM

I think lifting after racing could be a good idea, if directed by a coach who knows what they're doing.

But if not - if it's not an intentional program - then it sounds like a way to delay your recovery from racing, and also be too fatigued to lift properly and get the desired benefit from it.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM

Weight Lifting on Riding Days

I actually do this, not sure its a good idea. Tuesdays I work out with my personal trainer in the Am then do my cycle training in the evening.

I get a full body work out in the morning, then primarily aerobic/lower body with the cycling class. My sense is that its hard on my body, but its the only way I can make my week work.

You need excercise, fuel and rest, my sense is that it works 2 of the 3. The recovery phase is really important.

I think that if you do upper body and "spinning" together on a single day that would work, similarly lower body and "spinning" together on a single day would work, but high intensity strength followed by high intensity cycling is probably going to be a train wreck over time.

Ray
Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM

Age and goals

How old are you?
What is your level of racing?
What are your racing goals?

On paper most would say don't lift- It will make your recovery take longer.
That said, if you are older, just having fun and not looking to be a pro bike racer you should look at the bigger picture.

I am 52- raced as a cat 1 up until my mid-40's. Parallel to that, I only lifted weights in the off-season.
In my mid 40's- my body started falling apart. Racing at a high level was over for me.
It took me a couple years to re-focus and re-load- At about age 48 I started lifting. Not heavy, but consistent. 12 months a year.
At age 50 I started lifting a lot more. At age 52 I would say that I am a gym rat who like to ride a bunch rather than a bike rider who goes to the gym.
Lifting is way better or my longevity.
BTW- I still only weight 145 lb. So the gym work didn't add a bunch of lbs.- maybe 5. But good weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanooze View Post
so i've been on this workout plan lately that centers around lifting weights every sunday and tuesday no matter what you do on those days.

-so since the racing season is upon us here in california, i'm racing every weekend and on tuesdays as well which means im doing double days of racing hard and lifting right after.

-my question is this: would this be considered overtraining at all?
i know the body will adapt to the stress you put on it, but even i think this is to much. thoughts?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM
2Retro4U

I think you should relax more. Your description suggests you have high blood pressure.

I never lifted weights in my life, but I was a piano mover for 25 years, never missed a day from injury. When I sold the business I was 68 and not a da*n thing on my body hurt from it. I just wanted to work on something else.

Give up the weights. Take up piano. When you move a piano you get a workout AND you get paid!
Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM

It doesn't make sense to keep lifting on days you're already racing. If you raced hard, you shouldn't have anything left in the tank and you won't develop from lifting if you can't work hard at it.

We've had some long threads here about weightlifting and cycling in general. I've found that people who try to do weightlifting and racing within a week on a regular basis aren't able to benefit from it that effectively -- either it's simply overkill or you can't translate the lifting to better performance on the bike. Better is to ride for 2-3 months, give yourself a few days' rest, then do 3-4 weeks of serious lifting. Then taper off the lifting back into riding and then resume your pure racing schedule. When winter comes, reverse the pattern with longer stretches for heavier lifting. Very few people can swap back and forth and realize a benefit from the weightlifting in the alternate sport.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Why not just switch days?
How is every "sunday and tuesday" better than "every Monday and Wednesday", or "every Saturday and Monday"
mondays are always rest days. and cant lift on saturday because i race on sunday, as for wednesday, thats more of a "take it easy" day since i race hard and lift on tuesday
Old 03-31-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
I think you should relax more. Your description suggests you have high blood pressure.
ok im pretty sure i dont have high blood pressure ha. but thanks for your concern