Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
NYC has 6 times the homeless population that Seattle does. It is what it is.
And six times the population (and area for that matter). So not that different really.

Seattle peaked in like 2005. Its been a long downhill slog to gentrification - which I get happens, that doesn't mean you have to like it - and its absolutely unaffordable for most people. And it has subpar public transit. Its lost its soul.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
And six times the population (and area for that matter). So not that different really.
I checked the Wiki page summary for NYC and Seattle and did a back of the envelope calc:
  • NYC has 12.5 times greater population than Seattle
  • NYC has 3.6 times greater land area than Seattle
  • NYC has 6.85 times greater homeless population than Seattle
What does this mean? Nuthin', other than we NY'ers don't have as many homeless as Seattle does on a per capita basis but we NY'ers pack 'em in tighter proportionate to the land we've got.

Look, there are no braggin' rights here, this is a problem we, as a nation, have to address and fix. And local governments cannot deficit spend as can the Federal government so we all cannot avoid dealing with this problem indefinitely. All politics is local.

Quote:
Seattle peaked in like 2005. Its been a long downhill slog to gentrification - which I get happens, that doesn't mean you have to like it - and its absolutely unaffordable for most people. And it has subpar public transit. Its lost its soul.
Gentrification is a good thing especially when considering the opposite. Nothing stays the same and it is foolish to expect that things should "be as they used to be". That's simply not how life works and frankly, is anathema to the inherent desire and instinct of mankind to progress and improve. But I don't advocate letting people get crushed by the wheels of progress either and for that you need government in, to my political persuasion, a very (VERY) limited form to aid in keeping a balance and stability in the local communities. The average person has no chance against the free market and I'd never choose free markets over Christian charity. We are the richest, most powerful nation state on earth and I don't deign it as part of American DNA to be blind to the cruelties of the free market.

I'll say one last thing on this topic of finding a better place to live. I think that the job & career prospects always drive the choices on where to live. For me, that is the only thing I'm looking for or care about. Bikes, as important as they are to me, aren't more important than going to a place that's best for my career. With a good job and income there will always be an opportunity to find a nice place to live.

I have no idea how I got on this tangent!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:09 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone can stand in the way of progress. On top of that, its something that is incredibly hard to mitigate with public policy.

After following the NYC in the 1970s discussion (which was very interesting), I can see the argument for the type of changes NYC has experienced. There's a lot to be said for public safety.

On the other hand, Seattle never had the crime or violence that NYC had. It was a small feeling town, now its more of a big city and along the way is actually loosing its areas of diversity (although its always been a highly segregated city) and character in the march towards uniformity. It is what it is and there's nothing much anyone could do about it, but for the purposes of this conversation, I think that makes it a less desirable place to live.

Then again, its probably a good thing they'll never see this sign again:

Old 03-30-2017, 06:04 PM

And NYC has 5" more average annual rainfall than Seattle.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM
Bike Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
I would suggest Huntsville, Alabama. Yes, I stereotyped it before I got there and boy did I change my mind. Small city but plenty of good cycling. Lots of hills to train, mountain biking and cyclocross. You never get the snow that you did in your neck of the woods. You can ride all year around with just a little discomfort.

I have been in around Fairfax Virginia at least a dozen times and Huntsville reminds of very much of Fairfax.

Housing is still affordable and available. Homes that would be about a $800,000 dollars in Toronto, sell for about $300,000 in Huntsville and surrounding area. As for jobs, there is the Redstone Arsenal and of course NASA which might be good for your wife.

The downside of Huntsville is flying in and out of the airport. It has the most expensive tickets to fly in the country, so many fly to Nashville and take the shuttle into Huntsville (this is what I do). They also don't sell Powerball which means driving to Tennessee. Tornadoes can also be troublesome. I had the rare privilege of seeing my first Tornado as I was driving from Nashville to Huntsville and it was pretty scary.

Check it out online, it might be a contender.
I have to provide a completely different take on Huntsville after living there for a year. Worst road rage incidents (also highest number of them) occurred there on everything from 7am commutes to work to after work and weekend road rides. Just the biggest collection of "asshole" drivers I've ever encountered in addition to streets becoming increasingly clogged and poorly designed for bikes to boot. One of the worst cities I have attempted to find enjoyment out of, but hey they have endless sprawl and chain stores/restaurants dotting the surrounding landscape so maybe that's a plus for some.

I will give a big up to Cincinnati OH where I lived for quite a while. Better still live outside the I-275 beltway in Northern KY and have access to some seriously prime road riding right out your door with a 15-20 min drive to downtown. IT work has to be plentiful there, DOD/Military no idea but its a sizable city that is growing gangbusters. MTB and gravel riding are limited but there is a strong and dedicated MTB scene there with several 6hr races, the Mohican MTB race a few hours drive away, and some top notch gravel riding within 2 hrs in SE OH, and deeper into KY.

Currently residing in Western NC and if you can make the careers work in or near Asheville, I have to give it the top spot. Ignoring the city of Asheville, property is still affordable, and a sound investment, on balance the riding here has to rival a place like Boulder for access to whatever you want close to right out your door depending where you are in relation to Pisgah Natl Forest. As someone who always felt to pull towards Norcal, PNW, their agreeable climates, ecosystems, and the people I've met from those areas, I have come to accept the many negative aspects I see about living here that are outweighed by the positives. The riding being the biggest positive of them all.

Happy to answer any questions about Cinci or Asheville as best I can, enjoyed living in Cinci for 4 years, and coming up on 5 years in WNC.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Bringing this thread back from the dead....

Currently following some job leads in Seattle, Charlottesville, Raleigh/Charlotte, and Charleston SC. We'll see where this leads...

I'm flying out for an interview in Seattle next week but the cost of living there has me very hesitant - I know the steady economic growth we're in wont last forever.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:14 PM

I'm with you. I read through this thread a bit and I'm glad to see Southern California is apparently off your list. I've been in San Diego 15 years and I'm done: crowded, dirty, more and more expensive seemingly each day. Flying to Eugene Oregon next week for a second interview (yes, another Socal transplant is on the way. Sorry. But for what it's worth I'm a DUCK!). Fiancee and I had our search down to handful of choices and we just don't want to be near a major city anymore. Seattle area was discussed but it's expensive. And crowded. Hopefully our Eugene quest pans out. So far what we had been told was going to be an uphill battle to find a job has been filled with options. Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead....

Currently following some job leads in Seattle, Charlottesville, Raleigh/Charlotte, and Charleston SC. We'll see where this leads...

I'm flying out for an interview in Seattle next week but the cost of living there has me very hesitant - I know the steady economic growth we're in wont last forever.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Somehow Austin was barely mentioned in this thread......has it jumped the shark?

We moved from SoCal (cue the jokes/ducking) 3 years ago and love it. Yes it's more expensive than it used to be but there are a wide variety of options for housing. More than anything we love the entertainment options (music and restaurants), outdoor activities, and riding/terrain.

Traffic is only as bad as you choose to make it. People who choose to live in terrible traffic corridors a far distance from work can't complain.

That said, you're investigating some pretty good options.....good luck with whichever one you choose!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:51 PM

I still like the idea of Austin, but its a long shot as far as securing employment right now. There was one promising lead to follow but it didnt go very far.

I think SoCal will remain a nice place to visit once or twice a year - one of the things we've converged on is cheaper cost of living, not more.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Somehow Austin was barely mentioned in this thread......has it jumped the shark?

We moved from SoCal (cue the jokes/ducking) 3 years ago and love it. Yes it's more expensive than it used to be but there are a wide variety of options for housing. More than anything we love the entertainment options (music and restaurants), outdoor activities, and riding/terrain.

Traffic is only as bad as you choose to make it. People who choose to live in terrible traffic corridors a far distance from work can't complain.

That said, you're investigating some pretty good options.....good luck with whichever one you choose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I still like the idea of Austin, but its a long shot as far as securing employment right now.
That's funny. I actually see Austin as a fantastic place from a software development and IT job perspective. I'm in the cyber-security space and a good portion of my clients are smaller, dev-heavy entities. There are a LOT of those here.

Sadly, I see the quality of road cycling diminishing as the city grows and traffic continues to increase. We live somewhat Central with great access to in-town riding, but it now takes FOREVER (30-45 minutes) to get out to anything resembling a rural, low-traffic environment at this point from our house.

I still think Reno would be a great option as well as towns along the Front Range or the Wasatch. Each offers a decent tech/IT element along with great access to the outdoors including cycling and skiing.

Texbike
Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
That's funny. I actually see Austin as a fantastic place from a software development and IT job perspective.
I do too. I've heard a lot of good things about it, the wife is on board, but, without a job lead I'm a bit stuck.

If you've got any referrals I'm all ears...
Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
life's what you make it.

that said, i vote somewhere in tuscany, italy.

+1

By far the best suggestion.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
+1

By far the best suggestion.
Yes, Agree. My wife is fluent in italian, and has been taking the entrance exam for foreign service officers the past few years. Hoping that lands us a spot there.... eventually. I have no problems being a house husband and riding during the day
Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM
slower than you

Um, you know, Tuscany is a really nice place, but, essentially, it's home to a lot of poor farmers, right? And, well, the world's 1% "investing" in a cool place to own a third or fourth home. Good luck with that job.

I'm being deadly serious here. If you like Tuscany, but, want to come back to Earth and settle in a beautiful place that has rolling roads through farmland that's much more practical and close to jobs, try northern Baltimore county. Yup, Baltimore. Awesome biking just a half hour north of a major eastern city. If you're looking at a map, start at Cockeysville and work north to the PA. border along 83. Only downside is the nasty summer heat in July-August. Dawn riding.

Second vote is upstate NY. Albany area, north. If you can find a job.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Climber

Ojai offers really great Road, CX and MTB out your back door as well as really nice people. Also 15 minutes from the ocean. Check it out on the Amgen Tour today.