Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 09:18 PM

What's wrong with this shifter?

Front chorus 11 shifter is acting strange. It does not appear to be "catching." Sometimes the finger button swings straight through, sometimes it won't move at all. I had a very difficult time getting the old cable out, but did so in one piece.

https://youtu.be/gIxRXY6wpX8
Old 03-28-2017, 09:32 PM

In the small chainring when you installed it? I assume you used a campy cable?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 PM

What's wrong with this shifter?

At least on the old style ergos this happened to me when the ratchet ring would wear out. Quick replacement and off to the races again. Not sure same can be replaced in the newer style. I know some people have managed repairs on these, but I know others just replace the whole shifting body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 PM

That usually happens on the rear shifter. The thumb lever has a "tooth" that engages the shift ring inside the shifter when you push it. The pivot on the thumb lever is stuck, which extends the little tooth. Sometimes, you can free it with application of TriFlow and work the lever up and down for a while.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 PM
cmg

check the thumb levers ability to pivot on it's pin, hinge point. sometimes it gets rust and fails to pivot and hit the shifter cog or "does not appear to be "catching."" look on the underside of thumb lever and clean rust away and soak with 3 in 1 oil. i had to take a finger file to knock off rust/debris surrounding thumb shifter tab. the 11 speed has been made lighter or not as robust as the previous 10 shifters and tends to get stuck with greater sensitivity to dirt/rust/debris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.2 KB, 267 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
Front chorus 11 shifter is acting strange. It does not appear to be "catching." Sometimes the finger button swings straight through, sometimes it won't move at all. I had a very difficult time getting the old cable out, but did so in one piece.

https://youtu.be/gIxRXY6wpX8
Probably the 3mm fixing screws, front and back, are loose. Shifter off to access the rear, tap pin out for brake lever to see the front..I use blue loctite, make 'em tight.

Quote:
the 11 speed has been made lighter or not as robust as the previous 10 shifters and tends to get stuck with greater sensitivity to dirt/rust/debris.
Just the opposite. 11s Ultrashift MUC more robust, nothing to rrally wear and/or break, like shift springs and spring carriers.

Quote:
At least on the old style ergos this happened to me when the ratchet ring would wear out. Quick replacement and off to the races again. Not sure same can be replaced in the newer style. I know some people have managed repairs on these, but I know others just replace the whole shifting body.
First, in the 25 years of overhauling these things, I have never seen a shift disc wear out. VERY hard steel. PLUS, 'some' of us buy assemblies and strip them for parts. No need to replace the whole thing when a little spring may break(rare).

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-29-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:00 PM

Well that was the easiest fix to a seemingly disastrous problem. Thanks for the sage advice on ergo repair as always OP.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Probably the 3mm fixing screws, front and back, are loose. Shifter off to access the rear, tap pin out for brake lever to see the front..I use blue loctite, make 'em tight.

Just the opposite. 11s Ultrashift MUC more robust, nothing to rrally wear and/or break, like shift springs and spring carriers.

First, in the 25 years of overhauling these things, I have never seen a shift disc wear out. VERY hard steel. PLUS, 'some' of us buy assemblies and strip them for parts. No need to replace the whole thing when a little spring may break(rare).

Interesting. Totally agree that tightening fixes many issues, but curious about your response on disc wear. I'm talking specifically about this part:

https://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...M:&vet=1&w=700

You've never seen one wear out? I have a couple that definitely seem worn. Whether it was right to replace them or there was something else I should have done instead, replacing definitely did the trick. Maybe fixing happened in the process of cleaning and putting the ergo back together?

Old 03-30-2017, 05:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Interesting. Totally agree that tightening fixes many issues, but curious about your response on disc wear. I'm talking specifically about this part:

https://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...M:&vet=1&w=700

You've never seen one wear out? I have a couple that definitely seem worn. Whether it was right to replace them or there was something else I should have done instead, replacing definitely did the trick. Maybe fixing happened in the process of cleaning and putting the ergo back together?

That's the toothed bushing in the front of 2008 and earlier ERGO. Not the index gear or shift disc in the rear. It gets engaged by a little lever on the shift lever itself..turns the entire mechanism and 'shifts', Used for shifts to lower gear, no interaction with thumb button...and no, I have never seen the need to replace one.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:43 AM

"Probably the 3mm fixing screws, front and back, are loose. Shifter off to access the rear, tap pin out for brake lever to see the front..I use blue loctite, make 'em tight."

NOTED.

I knew Peter would have the answer.